Cowboys hot topic: It may be time for an “amicable divorce” from Dez Bryant

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tre-quon Smith in the 2nd and Valdez-Scantling in the 5th remakes this WR instantly with quality playmakers while saving the 1st for more pressing needs.
You're smoking crack with Smith in the second. But I appreciate the loyalty.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Hernandez is on another level. A beast of a G doesn't come around every year.
There's three of them this year. One or two who will go before him. Besides how much resources do you want to pour into one position group? At WR we have:
- a mid-level free agent who was a former undrafted FA
- a 6th year veteran former 3rd rounder
- a 7th year veteran former undrafted FA
- a 2nd year veteran former 4th rounder with minimal game experience
- a 7th year bargain basement free agent who was a former undrafted FA
- flotsam and jetsam behind that

I think we need to put some resources into the position. Granted we're talking a 1st vs a 2nd (I think), but it makes a difference. You draft Calvin Ridley and he's starting. You draft Moore and he's gonna see a bunch of snaps and likely be starting before the end of the year. Sutton on down and you're talking about projects who will take a few years to be what he's gonna be. If they don't have return ability (Kirk), they might not see a ton of snaps.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There's three of them this year. One or two who will go before him. Besides how much resources do you want to pour into one position group? At WR we have:
- a mid-level free agent who was a former undrafted FA
- a 6th year veteran former 3rd rounder
- a 7th year veteran former undrafted FA
- a 2nd year veteran former 4th rounder with minimal game experience
- a 7th year bargain basement free agent who was a former undrafted FA
- flotsam and jetsam behind that

I think we need to put some resources into the position. Granted we're talking a 1st vs a 2nd (I think), but it makes a difference. You draft Calvin Ridley and he's starting. You draft Moore and he's gonna see a bunch of snaps and likely be starting before the end of the year. Sutton on down and you're talking about projects who will take a few years to be what he's gonna be. If they don't have return ability (Kirk), they might not see a ton of snaps.
I think Anthony Miller could be starting by mid-season and can be had at 50.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If I were to compare anyone in this class to Antonio Brown it'd be Miller. He's not an elite athlete but is a really good route runner, is surprisingly physical at the catch point in contested situations and is very tough/competitive going over the middle.

They're also about the same size at around 5-11, 200.

Cotton

Staff member
If I were to compare anyone in this class to Antonio Brown it'd be Miller. He's not an elite athlete but is a really good route runner, is surprisingly physical at the catch point in contested situations and is very tough/competitive going over the middle.

Yep.

lostxn

DCC 4Life

He's kind of a body catcher in watching his highlights...:skurred

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's kind of a body catcher in watching his highlights...:skurred
I just don't like his separation on deep balls. Really made me question his true speed. Looks like a slot guy to me who isn't able to really out run NFL speed on longer plays. For a smaller guy I was expecting better separation.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I just don't like his separation on deep balls. Really made me question his true speed. Looks like a slot guy to me who isn't able to really out run NFL speed on longer plays. For a smaller guy I was expecting better separation.
He's a high 4.4/low 4.5 guy. Not top shelf speed. He's athletic though with good RAC.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's a high 4.4/low 4.5 guy. Not top shelf speed. He's athletic though with good RAC.
Well and for a smaller receiver he does really well with contested catches. I certainly don't hate everything about the guy.

Cotton

Staff member
Antonio Brown ran a 4.47. Just saying.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jerry Rice ran a 4.7. :flip
Sure and he burned the shit out of people on the field. Two recievers can run a 4.4 and one gets great seperation and the other doesn't. That's why you have to watch them play. Watch Ridley, the guy gets crazy seperation and makes defenders look silly.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Sure and he burned the shit out of people on the field. Two recievers can run a 4.4 and one gets great seperation and the other doesn't. That's why you have to watch them play. Watch Ridley, the guy gets crazy seperation and makes defenders look silly.
which is a heck of a good rationale for Ridley

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Poor 1st round value. Strength of the WR class is depth from picks 25-60.

Get the best defensive player or Hernandez. Work the draft the way it should be worked.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, I think he is compatible to a Reggie Wayne Torry Holt type. Maybe not as much pure speed as Holt but just an excellent route runner with plenty of speed to burn you.

Top Bottom