Cowboys hot topic: It may be time for an “amicable divorce” from Dez Bryant

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bottom line Hurns’ falling into their laps unexpectedly allowed them to do this now.

I fully believe they don’t have to force draft a WR in the 1st. They should let one come naturally in the 2nd

Hurns provides enough air-cover for 2018 at least, should he remain healthy.
I'm actually coming around on Sutton, I think he could provide the strengths of Dez last year without all the other demanding the ball stuff. He needs work as a route runner but so did Dez when we drafted him. He is an elite jump ball reciever but he also is pretty athletic for as tall as he is. In the second he could be the alpha we want.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I'm actually coming around on Sutton, I think he could provide the strengths of Dez last year without all the other demanding the ball stuff. He needs work as a route runner but so did Dez when we drafted him. He is an elite jump ball reciever but he also is pretty athletic for as tall as he is. In the second he could be the alpha we want.
I think he's pretty similar to Hurns - tall and slowish. Rather have a faster, route runner to the mix. Terrence Williams with hands and a little bit more speed would be great.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he's pretty similar to Hurns - tall and slowish. Rather have a faster, route runner to the mix. Terrence Williams with hands and a little bit more speed would be great.
I'd draft two guys in this draft. In the last mock I did I got both a big tall WR and a speed guy. The big tall guy to sort of pick up the redzone slack where losing Dez will probably hurt us most. The speed guy to basically help the length of the field were Dez sucked last year.

I think Sutton is faster than his forty would indicate though. His short area quickness and change of direction is actually really good for his height. It's not like a 4.54 is sluggish for a guy who is taller than Dez.

Or just go with DJ Chark who has size but also elite level deep speed.

Last edited:

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I'd draft two guys in this draft. In the last mock I did I got both a big tall WR and a speed guy. The big tall guy to sort of pick up the redzone slack where losing Dez will probably hurt us most. The speed guy to basically help the length of the field were Dez sucked last year.

I think Sutton is faster than his forty would indicate though. His short area quickness and change of direction is actually really good for his height. It's not like a 4.54 is sluggish for a guy who is taller than Dez.

Or just go with DJ Chark who has size but also elite level deep speed.
Sutton is going to go in the late 1st/early 2nd so will require a trade up. Now you could try to Trade down from 19 and up from 50 and pinch 2 which would be pretty awesome. Just gonna be pretty dicey unless you're fine with 5-6 players and don't care much which you get.

In order words, you're fine with Hernandez, Payne, Sutton, Moore, LVE, Evans, Wynn, Williams and if you get 2 of them you're fine.

I just see such difference in the type of players these guys are that it make me queasy.
I would MUCH rather have LVE than Evans
I would MUCH rather have Moore than Sutton or just about any other guy out there
Hernandez is way better than Williams.

So I don't know what they'll do but a trade down gets dicey quick. Everyone know we're gonna go WR so even if we trade down someone might leapfrog us.

If I'm being totally level headed about this, the only players I think are special at 19 are LVE and Moore. They both are pretty special both as athletes and college production. Some would add Hernandez but I think great guards come out every year. I hope we draft one of those two guys.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
All I know is grabbing a WR this year in the 1st feels like desperation. I only hope we don’t reach.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sutton is going to go in the late 1st/early 2nd so will require a trade up. Now you could try to Trade down from 19 and up from 50 and pinch 2 which would be pretty awesome. Just gonna be pretty dicey unless you're fine with 5-6 players and don't care much which you get.

In order words, you're fine with Hernandez, Payne, Sutton, Moore, LVE, Evans, Wynn, Williams and if you get 2 of them you're fine.

I just see such difference in the type of players these guys are that it make me queasy.
I would MUCH rather have LVE than Evans
I would MUCH rather have Moore than Sutton or just about any other guy out there
Hernandez is way better than Williams.

So I don't know what they'll do but a trade down gets dicey quick. Everyone know we're gonna go WR so even if we trade down someone might leapfrog us.

If I'm being totally level headed about this, the only players I think are special at 19 are LVE and Moore. They both are pretty special both as athletes and college production. Some would add Hernandez but I think great guards come out every year. I hope we draft one of those two guys.
Give me Hernandez/Wynn after a trade down and Chark/Sutton via a trade up and I'm doing a happy dance.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
All I know is grabbing a WR this year in the 1st feels like desperation. I only hope we don’t reach.
It wouldn't be depending who it is. Ridley is a bonafide first. The guy has been the best WR in this class since last years draft ended. He was always and still is a top 15 talent. And Moore is a legit top 20 type player in my book.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I like the depth in the 2nd with guys like Miller, Chark and Washington. I'm leaning towards going LVE or Hernandez and rolling the dice that one of those guys are available at 50, and if we need to trade up slightly to 45 or so, do it.

I realize that the team probably isn't as high on Miller as I am though (and they'd be wrong) so I understand if they go with Ridley or Moore. I prefer Moore's higher athletic ceiling and run after the catch ability but I can recognize that Ridley has a very high floor and should be a very good number 2 for 8 or so years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just hope we aren’t targetting Sutton. Not impressed with him
I used to be with you on that. He has grown on me the more I watch though. Weird how the draft can do that to you. And it may just be a difference of what games you watch or clips you see.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Give me a guy like Anthony Miller in the 2nd and then DaeSean Hamilton in the 4th and our WR corps will be just fine.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Give me a guy like Anthony Miller in the 2nd and then DaeSean Hamilton in the 4th and our WR corps will be just fine.
Yeah they aren't my cup of tea at WR but I'm with you on taking a couple guys. Get one early and then see who slips through the cracks later. Some will fall on draft day.

I want to do that if Callaway slips down. You may end up finding the stud in the fourth. The draft is unpredictable like that. Just like when the Redskins took 2 QBs.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah they aren't my cup of tea at WR but I'm with you on taking a couple guys. Get one early and then see who slips through the cracks later. Some will fall on draft day.
There is just so much mid round WR talent in this draft. It's not a great draft to get a solid WR1, but it's a damn good draft to fill our a corps with talent. Keep in mind, Antonio Brown was had in the 6th round.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is just so much mid round WR talent in this draft. It's not a great draft to get a solid WR1, but it's a damn good draft to fill our a corps with talent. Keep in mind, Antonio Brown was had in the 6th round.
That's the thing. You may draft Callaway in the fourth and he turns into Antonio Brown. People put these WR2 tags or slot tags on guys but players like Wayne, Bruce, Holt, Harrison weren't big guys either. People need to recalibrate what they think makes up a WR1.

Cotton

Staff member
That's the thing. You may draft Callaway in the fourth and he turns into Antonio Brown. People put these WR2 tags or slot tags on guys but players like Wayne, Bruce, Holt, Harrison weren't big guys either. People need to recalibrate what they think makes up a WR1.
I don't know if there is even a need to put a number label on a WR. I still say a team doesn't necessarily need a "WR1". Give me diversity at size and speed in our WR corps and I think we will be just fine.

D

Deuce

Tre-quon Smith in the 2nd and Valdez-Scantling in the 5th remakes this WR instantly with quality playmakers while saving the 1st for more pressing needs.

Cotton

Staff member
If we don't go Ridley or Moore, I want LVE. There will be a Hernandez every year late in the 1st.
Hernandez is on another level. A beast of a G doesn't come around every year.

Top Bottom