Cowboys hot topic: It may be time for an “amicable divorce” from Dez Bryant

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I still can't get over how dumb these guys must be to offer Watkins presumably 14-15 million, if not the full 16 that the Chiefs offered. Even with Dez in decline I'd rather have him over Watkins, and you're going to give Watkins a brand new 3/48 deal while Dez only has 2/32 left on his?

What?

And I'm not even going to get into how much of a better value Hurns is than Watkins, there is no way that Watkins is worth more than twice what Hurns is. Their statistical production is more or less the same over 4 years in the league, both have injury concerns, and that's with Watkins having a year in an explosive Rams offense while Hurns languished in Jacksonville all 4 years.

I have no problem with the strategy of cutting Dez, adding a few mid-tier free agents and drafting a WR high, but going after Watkins that hard will always be ridiculous to me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still can't get over how dumb these guys must be to offer Watkins presumably 14-15 million, if not the full 16 that the Chiefs offered. Even with Dez in decline I'd rather have him over Watkins, and you're going to give Watkins a brand new 3/48 deal while Dez only has 2/32 left on his?

What?

And I'm not even going to get into how much of a better value Hurns is than Watkins, there is no way that Watkins is worth more than twice what Hurns is. Their statistical production is more or less the same over 4 years in the league, both have injury concerns, and that's with Watkins having a year in an explosive Rams offense while Hurns languished in Jacksonville all 4 years.

I have no problem with the strategy of cutting Dez, adding a few mid-tier free agents and drafting a WR high, but going after Watkins that hard will always be ridiculous to me.
I like Watkins better than Dez at this point in their careers. Just a more explosive player.

But with that being said I agree with your conclusion. You don't make up for over paying Dez by over paying Watkins. If you pay 16 mil you better be getting a Julio Jones or Antonio Brown type talent. At least Beckham assuming he stays above the too crazy line. So making another mistake to cover up for a different mistake is foolish. Just draft a WR and be done with it. Doesn't have to be a first rounder. But start drafting some before the seventh round.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Yea, I have no issue with taking DJ Moore at 19, with Anthony Miller, Chark, Washington, or Sutton at 50, or someone like DaeSean Hamilton, Pettis or Gallup in the 3rd. I'm not love with Ridley at 19 really but I'd be ok with that too.

I'd be fine with any of those picks, and then dropping Dez, but it is idiotic for them to box themselves into a corner and then force a pick, even if it is a pretty deep crop on Day 2. And they damn well better not even think about trading up for Ridley in the 1st.
When has this group ever given you hope for not being idiotic?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don’t want these 1st round WRs. Better to wait a round or two or even grab one next year. This year’s crop is artificially high.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If they do cut Dez today, Twitter is going to be unbearable for the rest of the day with all the crying.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I don’t want these 1st round WRs. Better to wait a round or two or even grab one next year. This year’s crop is artificially high.
Exactly! These guys aren't worth #19 at all IMO. And what really concerns me is if we cut Dez we will take Moore or Ridley. And that means no Hernandez or Vea (if he were to fall to us). A very foolish move as I see it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly! These guys aren't worth #19 at all IMO. And what really concerns me is if we cut Dez we will take Moore or Ridley. And that means no Hernandez or Vea (if he were to fall to us). A very foolish move as I see it.
Ridley is a better prospect than Vea. Yeah I said it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just dumb. Welcome to telegraphing our first round pick.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, this is really bad timing.

Cotton

Staff member
One is 1000 yards in the air. The other is 2.5 sacks...
Stats don't mean shit for a NT and you know that. You can't discount the value he brings to the running game and LBer corps.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stats don't mean shit for a NT and you know that. You can't discount the value he brings to the running game and LBer corps.
Oh I know, I do it a little playfully. But both guys are the same age. And I think Ridley is a slightly better prospect. Just a more impactful player in my opinion. I'd still love either. And both WR and NT are super deep in this draft so I'm comfortable getting a guy at either position later.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Bottom line Hurns’ falling into their laps unexpectedly allowed them to do this now.

I fully believe they don’t have to force draft a WR in the 1st. They should let one come naturally in the 2nd

Hurns provides enough air-cover for 2018 at least, should he remain healthy.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Bottom line Hurns’ falling into their laps unexpectedly allowed them to do this now.

I fully believe they don’t have to force draft a WR in the 1st. They should let one come naturally in the 2nd

Hurns provides enough air-cover for 2018 at least, should he remain healthy.
I agree. No reason to force the pick. BPA and go with what you have.

Top Bottom