Cowboys hot topic: It may be time for an “amicable divorce” from Dez Bryant

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Never thought I'd say it, but I really think Jerry is going to draw a line in the sand on Friday. He's babied him a long time and said all the right things to the media. But now I have a feeling he's going to force him to take the pay cut or be traded.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
^^ I know that looks like a "Yeah, well no shit" comment but I just don't see this dragging on much longer. IDK maybe Jerry's gunning for an extra draft pick or two.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Except for now, Stephen is the bad cop. Stephen has laid the expectation for his exit.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Talk about a hype machine buildup to a meeting...Jerry is the ultimate showman. But wtf is he waiting for?

Or is it Dez? Been hearing about him working with a route guru, but heard today that he hasn't even started yet. WTF is he waiting for?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Talk about a hype machine buildup to a meeting...Jerry is the ultimate showman. But wtf is he waiting for?

Or is it Dez? Been hearing about him working with a route guru, but heard today that he hasn't even started yet. WTF is he waiting for?
We've been hearing about this meeting for weeks now. They are trying so hard to drag that shit out.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
We've been hearing about this meeting for weeks now. They are trying so hard to drag that shit out.
Without Jerry keeping the JoeFans that hang on his every word in suspense...what else is there?

Playoff wins? Dynamic coach? Big splashy FA's? Deep playoff runs?

Without Jerrys sunshine pumping bullshit, the Cowboys are simply a version of the Skins with a really nice stadium.

p1_

DCC 4Life
People just want to get on with getting better. This is cheap drama.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Cutting Dez now would be idiotic, we're seemingly done with free agency and it'd be telegraphing that we're taking a WR within the first 3 rounds. So what in the absolute fuck is the point of cutting him now and not in 3 weeks after the draft?

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
All the radio stations I've heard talk about it today are talking as if it's a done deal he is gone. Barring some sort of Jerry emotional pang. If so, sucks it couldn't have been worked out. Another one whose uniform I have gone damnit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
All the radio stations I've heard talk about it today are talking as if it's a done deal he is gone. Barring some sort of Jerry emotional pang. If so, sucks it couldn't have been worked out. Another one whose uniform I have gone damnit.
The only thing that gives me pause is the emotional showdown with Jones.

We will see where Bryant is coming from. Honestly, Jerry has shown him infinite patience.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I have no problem with the strategy of asking him to take a pay cut and then releasing him if he doesn't.

What I do have a problem with is making it clear as fucking day to the rest of the league that we're going WR in the first 2-3 rounds. I also would prefer that they let the draft fall how it's going to fall, and if the value is at WR at 19 or 50 or what have you, then go to Bryant asking for a pay cut, if the draft doesn't fall that way you aren't boxing yourself into a corner having to take a WR.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have no problem with the strategy of asking him to take a pay cut and then releasing him if he doesn't.

What I do have a problem with is making it clear as fucking day to the rest of the league that we're going WR in the first 2-3 rounds. I also would prefer that they let the draft fall how it's going to fall, and if the value is at WR at 19 or 50 or what have you, then go to Bryant asking for a pay cut, if the draft doesn't fall that way you aren't boxing yourself into a corner having to take a WR.
Well, it is too late if he is a cut. You know damn good and well WR goes right to the top and they might even force it.

This is just the wrong year to have to do that.

I can't believe I am defending keeping him, but sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Well, it is too late if he is a cut. You know damn good and well WR goes right to the top and they might even force it.

I can't believe I am defending keeping him, but sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.
Yea, I have no issue with taking DJ Moore at 19, with Anthony Miller, Chark, Washington, or Sutton at 50, or someone like DaeSean Hamilton, Pettis or Gallup in the 3rd. I'm not love with Ridley at 19 really but I'd be ok with that too.

I'd be fine with any of those picks, and then dropping Dez, but it is idiotic for them to box themselves into a corner and then force a pick, even if it is a pretty deep crop on Day 2. And they damn well better not even think about trading up for Ridley in the 1st.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life

You better believe they're gonna force it. Pick #19 is gonna be a WR, and none of these guys are blue chips. As you said, its a bad year to put yourself in a situation like this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Even if I knew I was cutting Dez I'd wait until after the draft. Why not? Draft day trades happen some times. Hell maybe someone gets desperate and is willing to trade anything for Dez Bryant. And if not there is no harm. You can still draft the WR's you want and cut Dez after. There just really isn't a benefit to cutting Dez now. If you were going to do that why didn't you cut him at the beginning of free agency when you could have used the money to actually do something?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Even if I knew I was cutting Dez I'd wait until after the draft. Why not? Draft day trades happen some times. Hell maybe someone gets desperate and is willing to trade anything for Dez Bryant. And if not there is no harm. You can still draft the WR's you want and cut Dez after. There just really isn't a benefit to cutting Dez now. If you were going to do that why didn't you cut him at the beginning of free agency when you could have used the money to actually do something?
As in sign Watkins, whom they made a play for but had no money to compete.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As in sign Watkins, whom they made a play for but had no money to compete.
Yeah pretty much. And if not Watkins there were other options. Maybe over priced options but still cheaper than 12 mil a year.

Or used the money on a LBer or NT or safety. So that you have less needs heading into the draft.

Top Bottom