Cowboys hot topic: It may be time for an “amicable divorce” from Dez Bryant

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dez Bryant could benefit from Watkins, Robinson deals

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: March 13, 2018 at 09:55 a.m.
Updated: March 13, 2018 at 12:49 p.m.

Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins landing ginormous deals before the start of the new league year could have some collateral benefits for one star receiver: Dez Bryant.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the Dallas Cowboys dipped their toe in the wide receiver market, but didn't sign Robinson or Watkins, which is a good sign for Bryant, who appeared on the verge of being cut or facing a pay reduction.

With the top two names signed, Dez might return at his full $12.5 million salary for 2018.

Rapoport and NFL Network's Jane Slater reported Tuesday that owner Jerry Jones and Bryant had their much-anticipated conversation prior to the league year beginning, according to sources informed of the situation.

The Cowboys have not reached out to his agent, Kim Miale, on doing any alterations to his contract, Rapoport added.

After checking in on what the top tier of wideouts was commanding, the Cowboys could look to add from the second level of free agency, where Paul Robinson and John Brown could fit Dallas' much-need for speed on the outside.

With the top two free agents getting huge money, the Cowboys could be content to ride Bryant one more season at his current salary while trying to milk what's left out of the 29-year-old's prime.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Lets bite the bullet and simply let him play a minor role or bit part in 2018. If we can't move on this year, we can still make moves for seasons beyond 2018. Draft and sign, incorporate the new talent and phase the diminished talent out of the offense, not letting Dez' lower production drag the future of the offense down with him. A good financial arse rape.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Way to deflect.

But no, I've already said Dak played like hot garbage in that game. You on the other hand can't seem to accept any negativity about Dez.
I don’t think you’ve got the jist.

Dez is not great anymore, but he’s better than anyone out front office is capable of procuring in 2018.

We could draft two WRs in the first three rounds, but it will take time for them to get going. I’d love new blood.

Everyone has to understand that no rookie is going to magically become our #1 WR in 2018. Not soon enough to where we can cut Dez.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I think Rippley, Kirk or Moore would be better than anything we have right now. Grab one of them when you can and start them mixing in asap.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think Rippley, Kirk or Moore would be better than anything we have right now. Grab one of them when you can and start them mixing in asap.
WRs take time to become reliable NFL players. Even Randy Moss had the benefit of working along with Cris Carter and Jake Reed to start. TO learned under the GOAT.

Ridley is good, but all he's have are our coaches and schoolyard Dez to teach him the subtleties of being an NFL WR.

I'd love to draft him, but he isn't going to be better than Dez when the season starts, and maybe not when the season ends.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
WRs take time to become reliable NFL players. Even Randy Moss had the benefit of working along with Cris Carter and Jake Reed to start. TO learned under the GOAT.

Ridley is good, but all he's have are our coaches and schoolyard Dez to teach him the subtleties of being an NFL WR.

I'd love to draft him, but he isn't going to be better than Dez when the season starts, and maybe not when the season ends.
You overrate an aging Dez badly

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think there's a few aspects in which a talented rookie will be better than Dez from day one.
Riddley is a better route runner from day one. He would get better separation from day one. He will never be as good of a jump ball receiver as Dez was and probably still is. But Riddley would definitely upgrade the offense in terms of speed. And usually I'd say it takes some time for Dak to build chemistry with a WR but he really doesn't have much chemistry with Dez so I don't see that as much as a concern.

Now maybe with some of the lesser draft prospects it could take more time. That stuff may not be true for James Washington for example. But he brings a different unique skill set as well that could be closer to Dez in other ways.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Ridley is a best-case scenario, and it’s a major gamble to dump Dez either in anticipation of or after drafting him.

It’s just too late for any rookie or combination of rookies.

We should have drafted a WR years ago.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Ridley is a best-case scenario, and it’s a major gamble to dump Dez either in anticipation of or after drafting him.

It’s just too late for any rookie or combination of rookies.

We should have drafted a WR years ago.
We've been drafting guys, none of them able to make an impression or stay in the NFL. At least we will give the position some priority in this year's draft. We seem to have no issue loading up with rookie DB's.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why the Cowboys might have to stick with Dez Bryant
7:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- The longer things went Tuesday, the better it seemed for Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant.

Sammy Watkins will join the Kansas City Chiefs on a three-year, $48 million deal with $30 million guaranteed. Allen Robinson, coming off a torn anterior cruciate ligament, will be off to the Chicago Bears with a three-year, $42 million deal.

Paul Richardson will become an NFC East rival with a five-year, $40 million deal that includes $20 million guaranteed from the Washington Redskins. Marqise Lee opted to stay with the Jacksonville Jaguars with a four-year deal that included $18 million guaranteed. Donte Moncrief is also joining the Jaguars. John Brown is joining the Baltimore Ravens.

Dez Bryant's $12.5 million-per-season contract appears to lean toward current market value after Tuesday's spending spree on free-agent receivers. Elsa/Getty Images
And on and on and on.

Until the contracts get filed, these might be paper deals, but Watkins' deal averages $16 million per season, and Robinson's averages $14 million. Richardson's pact averages $8 million a year despite the fact that his career high in receptions in a season is 44.

Bryant is scheduled to make $12.5 million a year for the next two seasons with the Cowboys.

While that can't be considered a bargain, especially with his drop in production the past three seasons, Bryant's agents have a better argument to support their claims the contract follows the market.

The Cowboys were in the mix for Watkins, willing to pay a high price for the former No. 4 overall pick in the draft and hoping the presence of his former Buffalo Bills position coach, Sanjay Lal, could sway the receiver's decision.

They just weren't willing to give him $16 million per season; not coming off a season when he caught 39 passes for 593 yards and eight touchdowns. They would have been in the eight-figure territory but not to the point where Watkins is one of the top-five paid receivers.

Free agency makes teams do funky things. The Cowboys have resisted that urge since giving Brandon Carr a five-year, $50 million deal in 2012. Carr is an interesting case study when it comes to Bryant.

In 2015, the prevailing belief was the Cowboys would force Carr to take a pay cut. The topic was broached at the Senior Bowl, the NFL scouting combine and the owners meetings. His agent was asked about it continuously.

And nothing happened. Carr played out the season on an $8 million base salary and a cap figure of nearly $13 million.

The following year, the final season of his contract, Carr took a pay cut with his $9.1 million base salary knocked down to $4.25 million.

Executive vice president Stephen Jones has been on record saying the Cowboys will need to look at Bryant's contract. He is set to count $16.5 million against the cap. The production has not matched the pay for whatever the reason, but the Cowboys have yet to have any conversations with Bryant's agent regarding a reworked deal.

(It must be noted a restructured contract is not the same as a pay cut. A restructured contract does not take any money out of a player's pocket. It is simply an accounting tool that gives the team a salary-cap benefit. The Cowboys did not restructure Bryant's contract last year because they did not want his future cap hits to become exorbitant, so restructuring this year would not bring much benefit.)

By releasing Bryant, the Cowboys can save $8.5 million against the cap or $12.5 million against the cap if he is designated a post-June 1 cut.

The Cowboys could opt to put the squeeze on Bryant now that these deals have come in. But, plenty of cap room remains across the league where the receiver could still cash in with a deal higher than what the Cowboys want to pay him from another team.

Had the Cowboys been able to sign Watkins, Bryant's time with the team was probably over. The Cowboys would have been younger and faster with Watkins, who they hoped would connect better on the field with quarterback Dak Prescott.

Without a replacement on the roster or potentially on the way in free agency, the decision to move on from Bryant is not impossible. But after Tuesday, it is a little more difficult.

I only post this because it sounds like we were at least interested in moving on from Dez for another receiver. We just were never in the game at 16 mil a year. Gives me a little hope though that the team isn't totally married to Dez.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Interesting they havent talked to Dez' agent.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Interesting they havent talked to Dez' agent.
What's the point. JAGs were getting over $12 per year. We have no leverage. They cut Bryant and he will get a pay raise. I would be totally shocked if they convince him to take a cut.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the point. JAGs were getting over $12 per year. We have no leverage. They cut Bryant and he will get a pay raise. I would be totally shocked if they convince him to take a cut.
Who were the JAGs who got 12 + mil?

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
He may not wear the star for life, but he's wearing it for at least one more season. He better make it a good one if he wants to stay. As a side note, I'm done buying jerseys because the players I get always leave within 2 years. Must be bad juju. :art

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Who were the JAGs who got 12 + mil?
Sammy Watkins on his third team in three years is earning 16 per. Maybe more than a JAG based on last year in a good offense, but he’s making Dez’s entire contract in two fewer years. No more than 40 catches sines 2015.

He was not re-signed by a team with over 28 million in cap space.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We've been drafting guys, none of them able to make an impression or stay in the NFL. At least we will give the position some priority in this year's draft. We seem to have no issue loading up with rookie DB's.
You know what I mean though, seriously drafted guys.

Last 1-3 pick at WR was TWill in the 3rd fricking round back in 2013, right?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sammy Watkins on his third team in three years is earning 16 per. Maybe more than a JAG based on last year in a good offense, but he’s making Dez’s entire contract in two fewer years. No more than 40 catches sines 2015.

He was not re-signed by a team with over 28 million in cap space.
Yeah Watkins is anything but a JAG. He is a legit number 1 if he can stay healthy. And wouild have been an upgrade over Dez if we could have signed him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah Watkins is anything but a JAG. He is a legit number 1 if he can stay healthy. And wouild have been an upgrade over Dez if we could have signed him.
Well stats master, that upgrade has fewer catches in the last two seasons combined than Bryant did last year alone.

Watkins is an upgrade in age and top end speed, but not based on actual production.

I really wouldn’t have cared had we brought in Watkins, but his salary is just stupid. Hard to see him finishing that deal, even if it’s just three years.

Top Bottom