Cowboys hot topic: It may be time for an “amicable divorce” from Dez Bryant

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Good point, good corners have pretty much made him a non factor all year. And you can't throw big money at that kind of production (or lack of)

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Good point, good corners have pretty much made him a non factor all year. And you can't throw big money at that kind of production (or lack of)
It has been before this year. A good corner erases him. Then he plays a Bradley Fletcher and everyone thinks he is awesome again.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Dez goes who takes his place, and how much of this is really his fault? Yes, he's had his drops and a critical fumble. But Dak's passes have been crap all year.
Hasn't seemed to negatively impact Williams.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has been before this year. A good corner erases him. Then he plays a Bradley Fletcher and everyone thinks he is awesome again.
Yep, teams either double Dez or they put their best corner on him who shuts him down. And this year especially we played against a lot of good corners. The problem is an elite corner against an elite WR should almost always go in the elite WR's direction. Instead we are stuck bitching that we don't move Dez around enough to prevent that. But you shouldn't have to do that with an elite WR. They should be able to get separation on their own.

But oh yeah Dez was just hurt or something. Or the sun was always in his eyes. Even though other receiver's seem to catch balls just fine against us looking into the sun.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Right, but we still have to have a #1 receiver. And there's no one on the roster who can be that guy. We would have to go FA or draft.
FYI, you aren’t stuck with that avatar. You can change it to whatever you like. And as far as replacing Dez, I’m good with dumping him and making WR1 a top priority in the draft.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
FYI, you aren’t stuck with that avatar. You can change it to whatever you like. And as far as replacing Dez, I’m good with dumping him and making WR1 a top priority in the draft.
I've gone to "customize my profile" but all I see is font size and etc..

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right, but we still have to have a #1 receiver. And there's no one on the roster who can be that guy. We would have to go FA or draft.
I actually think we do better without an elite WR that we have to funnel our passing game through. I think we are best when spreading the ball around. Of course I think it also helps when Beasley is getting open consistently. As a rookie Beasley was Dak's security blanket. When in doubt he'd complete a pass to Beasley for a consistent 7 yard gain or more. I think defenses saw that and focused on shutting down Beasley. Which stifled our entire offense. It's why we just couldn't move the ball as consistently this past year as we could when Dak was a rookie.

Cotton

Staff member
I've gone to "customize my profile" but all I see is font size and etc..
Click on "Forum Actions" at the top of the forums screen right next to "Quick Links" and click on "edit my profile". Once you are there the "Edit Avatar" is on the left.

Cotton

Staff member
I actually think we do better without an elite WR that we have to funnel our passing game through. I think we are best when spreading the ball around. Of course I think it also helps when Beasley is getting open consistently. As a rookie Beasley was Dak's security blanket. When in doubt he'd complete a pass to Beasley for a consistent 7 yard gain or more. I think defenses saw that and focused on shutting down Beasley. Which stifled our entire offense. It's why we just couldn't move the ball as consistently this past year as we could when Dak was a rookie.
I think defensive coordinators quickly discovered how we were using Beasley (simple playbook) and shut down those little slants and out routes. You can place the blame squarely on the coaches shoulders for that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think defensive coordinators quickly discovered how we were using Beasley (simple playbook) and shut down those little slants and out routes. You can place the blame squarely on the coaches shoulders for that.
Yeah I mean Beasley runs a really limited route tree in our offense. And when he's on the field you can all but guarantee we are passing the ball. So it suddenly becomes really easy to defense. If we just ran more of a base 3 WR set I don't think you'd see nearly the problems. We don't need fucking 3 TE's on the field to run the ball with Zeke.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
When you have slot WR's on the field most of the time you're passing anyways, but yeah, we should be able to run draws.

Beyond that, we're finding out that Beasley isn't an Edelman whose route tree expanded every year.

Both the coaches and Beasley have limitations, but frankly it's just not easy to do what New England has done. They develop those players, coach those routes, and have a QB who knows them cold. That level of maturity takes years.

Closest team to NE in this regard is Seattle. They take players with solid talent but have mostly given up on the "freak WR". Each team tried with Moss or Harvin, but settled on interchangeable talents like LaFell, Tate, Baldwin, etc.

They then supplement with a "freak TE".

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both the coaches and Beasley have limitations, but frankly it's just not easy to do what New England has done. They develop those players, coach those routes, and have a QB who knows them cold. That level of maturity takes years.
New England runs out of 3 WR formations all the time. It's actually not that unusual for a team to run out of 3 wide. But this year it was for Dallas. It was also unusual for us to be under center with 3 WRs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
New England runs out of 3 WR formations all the time. It's actually not that unusual for a team to run out of 3 wide. But this year it was for Dallas. It was also unusual for us to be under center with 3 WRs.
But most of the time they pass from 3-wide, and as I said, we should have been able to run draws from those formations. Especially with Elliot on the field.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But most of the time they pass from 3-wide, and as I said, we should have been able to run draws from those formations. Especially with Elliot on the field.
I'd line up and run the ball from a 3 wide formation. The defense would be in nickel and there is no reason you can't run or pass out of that formation. No need to run stupid draw plays. We used to do that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Sure, we should be able to run from any formation with the talent we have.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'd rather keep Dez, but replace the head coach and the highly predictable offense.

GShock

DCC 4Life
You can have a long, successful career and be incredibly valuable as a WR in this league.

But you have to catch the freaking ball.

Top Bottom