Jerry Jones not ready to address Dez Bryant’s future

p1_

DCC 4Life
Jerry Jones not ready to address Dez Bryant’s future

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

December 24, 2017 09:06 PM

UPDATED December 25, 2017 09:29 AM
ARLINGTON

With their playoff dreams now dead following the 21-12 loss to the Seattle Seahawks Sunday at AT&T Stadium, the Dallas Cowboys will soon turn their attention to the off-season and re-making the team for the future.

One issue that is expected to be addressed is receiver Dez Bryant and his contract.

Bryant made $13 million in 2017 and is expected to make $12.5 million in 2018 as part of a five-year, $70 million deal he signed before the 2015 season.

A disappointing 2017 has been the trifecta of three consecutive subpar seasons since he signed the contract.

The first two were blamed on injuries, but Bryant's 66 catches for 815 yards so far in 2017 has raised questions about whether he still an elite receiver.

He has not recorded a 100-yard receiving game all season and leads the Cowboys with 12 drops, including two on Sunday. He also had a fumble that led to a Seattle touchdown that came after he seemingly complained between series on the sideline about not getting involved.

Bryant had three catches for 44 yards in the game.

Could the Cowboys ask Bryant to take a pay cut or be cut in the off-season?

Owner Jerry Jones refused to speculate.

"I don’t even want to visit with that. We have a lot of respect for all the good things that Dez brings. He’s come a long way and made some serious positive contributions to the team. I wouldn’t today get into any prognosis or evaluation or prediction about what we’re doing with a player other than the fact that you can look at their agreements and their contracts and know that we have them on the team,” Jones said.

Jones did allow that they needed more from Bryant on Sunday.

Bryant and quarterback Dak Prescott have struggled with chemistry issues all season because of a lack of separation and seemingly being out of sync on the back shoulder fade.

But one thing Prescott shouldn't have to worry about his top receiver dropping passes that hit him in both hands.

“I think I have to throw him a better ball," Prescott said. "Just put it right there on his face mask and don’t give him a chance to drop it, I guess.”

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Um, you did just that in the Giants game and .. it hit him in the face mask.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That quick pass behind Dez that was deflected for a pick was on Dak. He wasn’t seriously pressured and made that catch way more difficult than it had to be.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That quick pass behind Dez that was deflected for a pick was on Dak. He wasn’t seriously pressured and made that catch way more difficult than it had to be.
It was a pretty easy catch for any NFL WR. It did hit both of his hands after all. Hell you see QBs do that every day in an attempt to lead their receiver away from a defender.

I know I've been hard on Dez but maybe with a new offensive coordinator things would be better. Dez is coming off a god awful game that included two drops and a fumble. Arguably his play single handily cost us the game. But I don't want to judge his entire season off of one game. That's not really fair. I wonder with a different offensive coordinator there may be a way to make things work with Dez. We don't use him correctly.

With that being said we need more speed on offense. Other than Zeke we don't have anyone on offense capable of running a sub 4.5 forty for gods sake. There are NFL TEs that could outrun everyone on our offense. That's a problem and it's only going to get worse as these guys age. So we need to find a way to get more speed on the field. The obvious choice is Dez because of his contract. Regardless you can't have a guy costing 16.5 mil against your cap who only catches 50% of the balls thrown his direction.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry said:
I don't even want to visit with that. We have a lot of respect for all the good things that Dez brings.

This does not tell me that he is "not ready" to address it. It tells me he is not even willing to consider it.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Time for him to take Dez to lunch and draw something on a napkin.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It was a pretty easy catch for any NFL WR. It did hit both of his hands after all. Hell you see QBs do that every day in an attempt to lead their receiver away from a defender.

I know I've been hard on Dez but maybe with a new offensive coordinator things would be better. Dez is coming off a god awful game that included two drops and a fumble. Arguably his play single handily cost us the game. But I don't want to judge his entire season off of one game. That's not really fair. I wonder with a different offensive coordinator there may be a way to make things work with Dez. We don't use him correctly.

With that being said we need more speed on offense. Other than Zeke we don't have anyone on offense capable of running a sub 4.5 forty for gods sake. There are NFL TEs that could outrun everyone on our offense. That's a problem and it's only going to get worse as these guys age. So we need to find a way to get more speed on the field. The obvious choice is Dez because of his contract. Regardless you can't have a guy costing 16.5 mil against your cap who only catches 50% of the balls thrown his direction.
Dez is not blameless, but that was a shitty throw behind him over a very short distance with Dez's momentum going in the opposite direction. Without much pressure to speak of and in such a close game Dak can't afford to be that inaccurate.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dez is not blameless, but that was a shitty throw behind him over a very short distance with Dez's momentum going in the opposite direction. Without much pressure to speak of and in such a close game Dak can't afford to be that inaccurate.
The throw could have been better but shit this isn't an 8 year old in the back yard. That's a routine catch any NFL receiver should make. Hell I'm not sure you can really call the ball behind Dez since he wasn't running anymore. He had stopped his route and settled in between the zone. Which is even more reason why it should have been an easy catch for him. I mean shit, I guess it could have bounced off his face mask but that's about it.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Dez is an all-time Jerry Pet Project and one of the few that actually succeeded, so I'd be shocked if he were released.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It was a poor throw by Prescott but it's also a catch an NFL receiver makes, it's not like Dez was running full speed or even really moving, he had come to almost a complete stop and was basically just floating there in the middle of the field.

Dak and Dez both deserve blame but a supposed All-Pro WR making 15 a year makes that catch. Dez made a half-hearted attempt at the ball and seemed pretty lazy in going after it, he basically just threw his hands behind himself and hoped it would stick instead of shifting his weight slightly back in that direction to secure the ball.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a poor throw by Prescott but it's also a catch an NFL receiver makes, it's not like Dez was running full speed or even really moving, he had come to almost a complete stop and was basically just floating there in the middle of the field.

Dak and Dez both deserve blame but a supposed All-Pro WR making 15 a year makes that catch. Dez made a half-hearted attempt at the ball and seemed pretty lazy in going after it, he basically just threw his hands behind himself and hoped it would stick instead of shifting his weight slightly back in that direction to secure the ball.
I think we run the ball a lot more under Linehan than we did with Garrett before that. But yeah, Garrett definitely has a heavy hand in this offense. My hope is that the next guy is more strong willed and sort of steam rolls Garrett. Let's face it, Garrett is kind of a spineless fish that a strong personality would have no problem pushing around. Ala Jerry Jones.

vince

Not So New Member
The Cowboys organization really reminds me of the one I work for. No one wants to step on anyone's toes and you certainly don't question anything the higher ups say, or else you could either get the axe or just hinder any progress.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah, I think it's more likely that Dez convinces Jerry to fire Linehan.
Bryant’s problems cant be laid at anyone’s feet except his own. I would hate to think that even Jones couldn’t see that. If any blame is directed at the Coaching staff then Garrett is the man to point the finger at. Garrett should have had a come to Jesus meeting with him long ago.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Bryant’s problems cant be laid at anyone’s feet except his own. I would hate to think that even Jones couldn’t see that. If any blame is directed at the Coaching staff then Garrett is the man to point the finger at. Garrett should have had a come to Jesus meeting with him long ago.
Sometimes someone is who they are. Bryant has always been a freelancer and always will be. Not a disciplined human being, not a disciplined player. I was hoping he would grow as a player with time as he has grown as a human being. But he hasn't. Bye Felicia.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Dez Bryant claims he’s dealing with previously-undisclosed injury

Posted by Mike Florio on December 27, 2017, 7:53 PM EST

Getty Images
Another year, another player injury that previously had been hidden comes to light. And the league likely will do nothing about it.

Via David Moore of the Dallas Morning News, Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant disclosed to reporters on Wednesday that he’s been dealing with an injury for weeks. Bryant said he was “surprised” no one knew about the injury, which has lingered since early November.

Here’s why no one knew about the injury: The injury has never appeared on the injury report.

The injury also didn’t appear on Wednesday’s injury report. Although Bryant has practiced and played every game, players who fully participate in practice despite an injury routinely are listed as having an injury.

The next question is what will the league do about it? Based upon what the league did (more accurately, didn’t do) to the Seahawks last year for hiding a knee injury to Richard Sherman and to the Steelers last year for hiding a hernia suffered in the wild-card round by Le'Veon Bell, don’t expect anything to happen.

Why does the league do nothing when a team violates the injury-reporting rules? Possibly because the league knows that they’d be sliding down a rabbit hole from which they’d never emerge, if they begin aggressively investigating and enforcing actual or suspended violations of the injury policy.

What a little cunt. Get him off this team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just concrete evidence that he regressed badly this season.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Of course Jerry doesn't want to discuss it now. He will wait like he always does and it be well past when he should have.

midswat

... soon
Random question I just now thought of while sitting on the toilet:

If you could go back in time to 2010 and could control it, you still taking Dez in the draft?

Top Bottom