Giants Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
If Dak repeats last year in NY, this season is over.
You should expect more of the same game plan as we trotted out vs the skins. I anticipate
about 40 carries for Morris. Linehan is so creative.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You should expect more of the same game plan as we trotted out vs the skins. I anticipate
about 40 carries for Morris. Linehan is so creative.
If we run it 40 times you will hear no bitching from me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cowboys set to go with three rookies in secondary against Giants
10:36 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- With Orlando Scandrick out for Sunday's game against the New York Giants because of two transverse process fractures, the Dallas Cowboys are looking at going with three rookies at cornerback.

Chidobe Awuzie, the team's second-round pick, made his first start of the season at outside cornerback in the win over the Washington Redskins, with sixth-rounder Xavier Woods handling nickel spot. Jourdan Lewis, a third-round pick, is looking to replace Scandrick.

Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said he has never had rookies as his top three cornerbacks.

Rookies Jourdan Lewis, Chidobe Awuzie and Xavier Woods -- all drafted to remake the Cowboys' secondary -- are set to be the top three cornerbacks Sunday against Eli Manning. AP Photo/Ron Jenkins, File
"The key is you just keep peeling your defense back," Marinelli said. "Make sure you don't make mistakes, keep everything in front of us. They're the ceiling to the whole house, keep it in front of us and make them earn it down the road. Got a lot of confidence. They've got a lot of energy right now. They're excited. And so that's fun. Ears are open. They're ready to play so it's our job to help them."

Awuzie had three pass breakups against Washington after being limited for most of the season with a hamstring strain. Woods had four tackles and a season-high two quarterback pressures. Lewis had three tackles playing in the dime package before Scandrick left the game.

The Cowboys drafted all three with the idea of remaking the secondary after letting Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne and Barry Church walk in free agency. They signed Nolan Carroll in free agency, but he was released earlier in the season after Lewis showed he was ready for a larger role. Anthony Brown's role was reduced after his struggles, which led to Awuzie playing more. Now Scandrick is hurt.

"We said this before even rookie minicamp we want to be one of the best DB groups as a whole, not just rookies but as a whole coming into this league," Woods said. "We haven't been but that definitely takes time. But we have the athletes and the ability to do so."

Eli Manning is returning to the Giants' starting lineup Sunday, and the veteran quarterback will be staring at a young secondary.

Lewis isn't worried about being targeted.

"I just go out there and execute my game plan regardless of whatever goes on," he said. "I'm just looking at the receivers, what they like to do in certain situations and formations and those things like that."

Marinelli wants the youngsters to be patient.

"You can't bite the cheese, man," Marinelli said. "You can't go up and start biting. You've got to stay back, stay back. That's hard because you're in zone and you see some guy there and as soon as you take a step up it's over your head. It's all drill work and understanding what we've got to do and just have fun coaching these guys."

This is actually something to get a little excited about. We have 3 legit rookie DBs and they have all earned the opportunity for this playing time. It's also a little interesting that Woods is being used as a nickle corner. From what I have seen he does a pretty good job at it. He is one of our few DBs who understands zone concepts. Plus he adds some run defense so you can basically run the nickle as your base defense.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I would rather see Byron Jones moved to CB since that's exactly what he was until we decided to try and convert him into a safety.

It was nice having decent safety play from Woods the last few weeks, so why move the guy to CB?

Let him stay where he is and let the guy who actually was a CB fill that role.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would rather see Byron Jones moved to CB since that's exactly what he was until we decided to try and convert him into a safety.

It was nice having decent safety play from Woods the last few weeks, so why move the guy to CB?

Let him stay where he is and let the guy who actually was a CB fill that role.
I'm not sure but I know he was playing the nickle against the Redskins as well.

I'd prefer Brown in the nickle spot with him at safety though.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Doesn't make much sense to move Woods to CB while a guy that sucks at S can play CB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't make much sense to move Woods to CB while a guy that sucks at S can play CB.
Yeah, I'm guessing it's because Woods is a better corner than Jones as well. Sort of a sad sobering fact that a rookie sixth round pick is better than him already. I'm glad we are at least taking the kid gloves off the rookies though. I think it will pay off big time next season when hopefully we can make a real run.

Last edited:

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Irving officially ruled out for Sunday. :-(

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm not sure but I know he was playing the nickle against the Redskins as well.

I'd prefer Brown in the nickle spot with him at safety though.
Even that works.

Brown has not been very good this year, but almost all of his poor play has come from being outside......where he does not belong.

I don't know why this staff has such a hard time at evaluating talent, especially in the secondary.

It's as if they enjoy taking easy and logical decisions and turning them into more complicated ones.

Take Jones who has lots of experience at CB or even Brown who played lots of nickel CB last season and move them to that spot and leave the safety who is by far the best player at his position in the passing game stay right where he is.

But we just have to reinvent the wheel and move the Safety who has gotten better each week to CB.

Dumb.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I'd go with Cheeto and Jones outside, Lewis in nickel and Woods at S.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yeah that really sucks. Crazy that something that didn't even knock him out of a game is so serious he can't play 11 days later.
Concussions are pretty unpredictable. See Rico Gathers (though I still suspect he is being stashed for the year).

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'd go with Cheeto and Jones outside, Lewis in nickel and Woods at S.
That right there is what I believe is our best current setup regardless of injuries.

That's exactly the same trio of corners I'd like to see starting next year along with a playmaking safety to put next to Woods.

But this team will find a way to take something simple and convolute the hell out of it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
This is a game that is hard to call. First off I'm not confident on which Dallas we're going to see. Have the Cowboys truly turned the corner and figured things out sans Zeke, or was last week's game against the Redskins strictly and anomaly? And remember, Dak didn't exactly light it up in the passing game vs Washington, but he was a lot more aggressive with his throws which was a bit encouraging.

On the Giants side, we know they are an injury riddled team but I think it's safe to say the atmosphere will be pretty electric coming off the McAdoo/Reese fiasco. Normally at this time of year a 2-10 team's fan base would be pretty blase and simply ready for the season to end, but I think the energy in the stadium will feel like a playoff game. Just a gut feeling.

data

Forbes #1
Can’t even root for the laundry anymore.

Giants 17, Cowboys 11

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This is a game that is hard to call. First off I'm not confident on which Dallas we're going to see. Have the Cowboys truly turned the corner and figured things out sans Zeke, or was last week's game against the Redskins strictly and anomaly? And remember, Dak didn't exactly light it up in the passing game vs Washington, but he was a lot more aggressive with his throws which was a bit encouraging.

On the Giants side, we know they are an injury riddled team but I think it's safe to say the atmosphere will be pretty electric coming off the McAdoo/Reese fiasco. Normally at this time of year a 2-10 team's fan base would be pretty blase and simply ready for the season to end, but I think the energy in the stadium will feel like a playoff game. Just a gut feeling.

We put up points against Washington but I don't feel like what we did was particularly repeatable consistently.

There's little doubt in my mind we lose. It's what we do.

Something like 13-6.

Top Bottom