Jerry Jones hires lawyer and threatens to sue over Roger Goodell extension

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
For Jerry to go from belligerent to capitulating so quickly and quietly, and this to go through soon after, there must be some sort of back door deal going on.

"Fine, Jerry, we will start calling holding penalties on your opponents. Just sign the damn paper."

DLK150

DCC 4Life
As someone who used to soak in the draft, free agency, actually watch preseason games etc... I used to actually think the NFL as a 12 month a year sport and loved every bit of it. The past few years it has really lost its luster. Largely because of goodell and the random punishments, softening up the game, fucking with the draft, overseas games etc. plus I hate Garrett (not sure if I’ve ever made that clear).

The past few years I started to follow CFB more closely and I get excited about recruiting like I used to the draft. I just need my team to stop sucking like the cowboys and I’ll be okay.
Same here, I'm just not into it like I used to be all year round. I used to hang around here during the offseason for any little bit of news that comes out but not the last few years. Family issues have been taking up more of my time as well.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
For Jerry to go from belligerent to capitulating so quickly and quietly, and this to go through soon after, there must be some sort of back door deal going on.
I just hope it isn't promising to play nice when it comes to Goodell's contract but it wouldn't surprise me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure there was some sort of a back door deal done. Probably one that the public will never be allowed to hear or find out about.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
As someone who used to soak in the draft, free agency, actually watch preseason games etc... I used to actually think the NFL as a 12 month a year sport and loved every bit of it. The past few years it has really lost its luster. Largely because of goodell and the random punishments, softening up the game, fucking with the draft, overseas games etc. plus I hate Garrett (not sure if I’ve ever made that clear).

The past few years I started to follow CFB more closely and I get excited about recruiting like I used to the draft. I just need my team to stop sucking like the cowboys and I’ll be okay.
Everything, even the college part, pretty much sums up my current feelings on the NFL and football as a whole.

I don't care much about what happens in the NFL anymore outside of the Cowboys, and even with them, my interest isn't anywhere near what it used to be.

I'm going on about 4 years of where I care more for the college game than the NFL.

I don't think my interest in the NFL will ever be the same.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

"Fine, Jerry, we will start calling holding penalties on your opponents. Just sign the damn paper."

:lol Wouldn't shock me but I wonder if the anthem stuff is part of it. Otherwise I'm guessing financial in some way.

Genghis Khan

My interest in the college game has not been strong the past few years and has never been anywhere near my NFL passion. It's just not a big part of the culture in the Northeast and honestly it's not as good quality.

That said, my love of the NFL is waning sharply anyway. There's just so much bullshit. Goodell is shitting all over the legacy of the league and turning it into his own personal fiefdom.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol Wouldn't shock me but I wonder if the anthem stuff is part of it. Otherwise I'm guessing financial in some way.
I love how the NFL basically paid the players off on the issue with a "donation" to social justice. What a fucking slimy joke.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
My interest in the college game has not been strong the past few years and has never been anywhere near my NFL passion. It's just not a big part of the culture in the Northeast and honestly it's not as good quality.

That said, my love of the NFL is waning sharply anyway. There's just so much bullshit. Goodell is shitting all over the legacy of the league and turning it into his own personal fiefdom.
Yeah, when I lived in central NJ years ago it was basically Rutgers and Princeton and they both sucked so I didn't really follow CFB other than a random game on one of the networks.

I find it hard to get into the NFL more and more as time goes by and it's not unusual for me to fall asleep during a night game if I'm bored to hell. I even forgot all about there being a game on tonight and I don't really care. The brand has been in decline for over twenty years but that dick of a commish is trying to push it over a cliff.

Cotton

Staff member

Well, at least we have this.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Well, at least we have this.
~Makes Akeem from Coming To America Voice~

"Just 7 more years, eh?"

[MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION]

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
~Makes Akeem from Coming To America Voice~

"Just 7 more years, eh?"

[MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION]
:lol

7 more years of inconsistency at $40M per year.

Damn good work if you can find it.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Jerry Jones won his fight with NFL commish Roger Goodell

Charles Robinson
NFL columnist
Yahoo SportsDec 13, 2017, 10:55 PM

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones clarifies position on Commissioner Roger Goodell
IRVING, Texas – As Roger Goodell stood at the podium on Wednesday and tried to keep his message focused on the next and possibly final contract as NFL commissioner, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones stood in the background listening intently. Off camera but completely in the spotlight, Jones occasionally smiled, nodded or pursed his lips. He mostly just stared at Goodell, standing far from the podium but clearly in control of a commissioner whose power he is beginning to wrestle away.

It made for awkward theater, fitting for a 2017 season that has been nothing if not disjointed. At one point, Goodell faced a direct question about the health of his relationship with Jones, the one owner who embraced his existence as a piercing thorn in the side of talks to extend the commissioner’s contract. Goodell reacted to the question by pivoting his attention away from his audience and looking directly at Jones – the way a marionette might look at the puppeteer who is affixing new strings.

“Jerry, do I look like I take it personally?” Goodell asked a grinning Jones “No. That’s the answer to that question.”

It’s not the entire answer to the question, mind you. There’s a lot of context inside that answer, particularly for those who buy that Goodell walks away from this extension negotiation with no scars. The fact is, Goodell will end up making somewhere between $100 million and $200 million down the stretch run of his career as NFL commissioner, which is expected to conclude in 2024. But he’ll do so under an immense bonus structure that is controlled by the owners on the compensation committee, a group whose chairman, in a significant change, will now be installed by the owners and not the commissioner.

In essence, Goodell will no longer have the power to name the chairman of the committee that holds his salary in its hands. With that tweak, Goodell’s paycheck will be a year-to-year bonus bonanza completely resting in the hands of owners on a committee that he can’t influence. When only 10 percent of your contract is guaranteed and the rest relies on you proving your worth, that’s a massive deal.

It’s exactly what gives Goodell the incentive to listen and implement whatever Jones and his fellow owners want. Which means all that talk about Goodell being commissioner “of the game” and not “for the owners” just went out the window. At the end of the day, Goodell’s money will be tied to the health and performance of the NFL. And the health and performance of the league will be dictated by the owners, who will lean on Goodell to make changes and decisions the group sees fit.

That’s exactly what Jones wanted. An infrastructure that puts more of the influence over the commissioner’s paycheck in the hands of the entire ownership group. That’s why Jones was grinning Wednesday. He won the battle. He went at Goodell and a majority of the other NFL owners with a singular message: To move more control of this league into the hands of the billionaire fraternity and put the commissioner into a space where he will feel pressured to answer to the franchises that make his job possible. It’s a campaign that is getting underway, from the sound of it, with changes coming to the NFL constitution and an open debate about some of the commissioner’s powers. That may very well mean some cuts in the league office, too, with senior-level positions being eliminated by the dozens.

The NFL has already extended more than 80 retirement packages to a swath of highly paid employees in an effort to cut back a bloated balance sheet in the league office, according to one league source who spoke with Yahoo Sports on Wednesday. That movement for a slimmed-down executive branch is expected to continue in the coming years, the source said, adding that portions of the disciplinary budget could also take a hit. More specifically, the league is expected to review the NFL’s role in player investigations – with special emphasis on the commissioner’s involvement – and potentially curtail some of the efforts in hopes of beating back the massive legal billing that has mounted in recent years.

Genghis Khan

That movement for a slimmed-down executive branch is expected to continue in the coming years, the source said, adding that portions of the disciplinary budget could also take a hit. More specifically, the league is expected to review the NFL’s role in player investigations – with special emphasis on the commissioner’s involvement – and potentially curtail some of the efforts in hopes of beating back the massive legal billing that has mounted in recent years.

Very interesting.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I had a feeling Jones wouldn't just give in without some kind of concessions/terms involved.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I had a feeling Jones wouldn't just give in without some kind of concessions/terms involved.
Jones is to be applauded for this. It went to the heart of what gave the Commissioner such control over the decisions. Now he cannot ignore the investigative findings and run roughshod over the outcome as he has in the past. It essentially limited him to issuing penalties with some table of consistency.

Cotton

Staff member
Very interesting.
So is this...

But he’ll do so under an immense bonus structure that is controlled by the owners on the compensation committee, a group whose chairman, in a significant change, will now be installed by the owners and not the commissioner.

Top Bottom