Game Day Chatter Thread | Week 6 | Cowboys at Jets | 10/13/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
y)

Yeah, but you know how it's gonna work.

Kris Richard will get promoted and then "get a chance" to earn the job.

I would just want a straight housecleaning, and I think that's less likely with an in-season promotion.
The only issue I have with this is if he (Jerry) actually wants to compete this year, making the switch now or after the Eagles game is probably the right thing to do. Otherwise this team will likely continue to spiral down the drain and they finish with a losing record.

Also Jerry should consider the one time he did make an in-season coaching change the team immediately responded in a positive manner. The offense and the team looked a lot more engaged and competitive back in 2010. Just something to consider.

Now if he has no interest in competing this year, then by all means allow Garrett to finish out the season and collect your ticket for a top 12 draft pick on your way out at season's end.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

GShock

DCC 4Life
Yeah, but you know how it's gonna work.

Kris Richard will get promoted and then "get a chance" to earn the job.

I would just want a straight housecleaning, and I think that's less likely with an in-season promotion.
Richard will fail and then we get the clean sweep.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I don’t buy any of this “Garrett took the offense back” bullshit. There’s no way. He’s coaching for a contract. No way Jerry fires Garrett to promote Moore to HC. There’s literally no scenario where that happens if the team is winning and the offense is tops in the league.

Garrett knows how to get a head coach fired. He did it to Wade. Maybe Kellen was watching as a kid? That makes more sense, but even that is a stretch. Kellen doesn’t have the resume to pull that off after 3 games.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This is key. It's not just some wild conspiracy by unfair Garrett haters that this could happen. Things like this do happen.

Hell, it's happened here before with this very same coach. Just ask Bill Callahan.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don’t buy any of this “Garrett took the offense back” bullshit. There’s no way. He’s coaching for a contract. No way Jerry fires Garrett to promote Moore to HC. There’s literally no scenario where that happens if the team is winning and the offense is tops in the league.

Garrett knows how to get a head coach fired. He did it to Wade. Maybe Kellen was watching as a kid? That makes more sense, but even that is a stretch. Kellen doesn’t have the resume to pull that off after 3 games.
Yeah, I don't really buy that either.

Maybe the plan was to treat those early games differently as "house money." But I don't think Garrett got jealous of winning and then took everything back and submarined the offense. That just doesn't make sense.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Now if he has no interest in competing this year, then by all means allow Garrett to finish out the season and collect your ticket for a top 12 draft pick on your way out at season's end.
Of course Jerry wants to compete this year. He's not going to give up on Garrett or the season even with a loss to the Eagles. He has chronic overoptimism. He won't give up until the team is mathematically eliminated.

And last year's recovery from 3-5 to the playoffs will only strengthen that conviction.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
But I don't think Garrett got jealous of winning and then took everything back and submarined the offense. That just doesn't make sense.
Garrett wouldn't purposely submarine the offense.

But he would get jealous, absolutely. And more than that, he thinks he knows better than this rookie play caller. If you haven't noticed, Jason thinks very highly of himself. He's always the smartest guy in the room.

David Moore, the DMN writer, said last week on his Ticket show that Jason doesn't offer specific plays during the games, but he has a very heavy hand in game planning early in the week when most decisions for Sundays are made. And David Moore said Kellen has the personality -- and understands his rookie status well enough -- to not buck what Jason wants him to do.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I'll try and get the "Garrett must GO" chant going next week at the eagles game...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dallas Sucks, Garrett needs to go, and Moore is garbage. Time to clean house.
It would help if the OL could get some continuity. Prescott was under duress the entire game. It all starts and ends there as the offense goes so if the OL doesn’t give the driver any room to operate nothing is going to happen on the positive side.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Agree. The biggest problem is the execution of the offense and the culprit is the inability of the OL to allow time for a clean execution. It is patched now and getting rocked by the oppositions defense.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I'd like to see a list of how many of these dubious records and top 10 lists Jason Garrett belongs to. First team to do blank and still lose a game. One of only 5-10 teams in the history of the nfl to do this or that and still lose.

Fucking schleprock.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You know what's interesting?

If you look at each of the years we've been successful under Garrett it can usually be largely attributed to some sort of external stimulus that jolts the team. In 2014 it was Linehan coming on board and dedicating the play-calling to the run. In 2016 it was Dak coming in and shaking up the offense, as well as the addition of a top 5 elite talent like Elliott. Last year it was the Cooper trade as well as the addition of Richard who kind of breathed life into the defense.

What's interesting is that once the team has a modicum of success and things stabilize a bit, the team reverts right back to playing sloppy, unmotivated, mistake-prone ball. That's a massive indictment of Garrett in my opinion because he's seemingly just along for the ride with some aggressive back-slapping and ass-patting mixed in. A real coach would've been three feet up the players asses after that Miami performance but instead this fool let them eat the cheese in grand fashion, en route to 3 pathetic performances in a row thereafter.

It's completely subjective but I can't think of one single season where this team has thrived where I thought, "man, Garrett is really doing a hell of a job lifting this team up". It's mostly always due to some external factor shocking the team's system, combined with a severe lack of expectations/people predicting that the team was doomed.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
me neither but if he is that pathetic, he not only needs to be fired but tarred and feathered as he leaves the facility

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
I'd like to see a list of how many of these dubious records and top 10 lists Jason Garrett belongs to. First team to do blank and still lose a game. One of only 5-10 teams in the history of the nfl to do this or that and still lose.

Fucking schleprock.
We started a thread years ago for this at Cowboys Universe and its 50+ pages long. Every post isn't one of these dubious records but every 3rd post might be :lol:lol

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
You know what's interesting?

If you look at each of the years we've been successful under Garrett it can usually be largely attributed to some sort of external stimulus that jolts the team. In 2014 it was Linehan coming on board and dedicating the play-calling to the run. In 2016 it was Dak coming in and shaking up the offense, as well as the addition of a top 5 elite talent like Elliott. Last year it was the Cooper trade as well as the addition of Richard who kind of breathed life into the defense.

What's interesting is that once the team has a modicum of success and things stabilize a bit, the team reverts right back to playing sloppy, unmotivated, mistake-prone ball. That's a massive indictment of Garrett in my opinion because he's seemingly just along for the ride with some aggressive back-slapping and ass-patting mixed in. A real coach would've been three feet up the players asses after that Miami performance but instead this fool let them eat the cheese in grand fashion, en route to 3 pathetic performances in a row thereafter.

It's completely subjective but I can't think of one single season where this team has thrived where I thought, "man, Garrett is really doing a hell of a job lifting this team up". It's mostly always due to some external factor shocking the team's system, combined with a severe lack of expectations/people predicting that the team was doomed.
I'm too lazy to look it up but could it also be the team shit the bed the previous year and inherited a last place schedule coupled with higher draft picks?

GShock

DCC 4Life
It would help if the OL could get some continuity. Prescott was under duress the entire game. It all starts and ends there as the offense goes so if the OL doesn’t give the driver any room to operate nothing is going to happen on the positive side.
Sure, but there are things you can do. You can gameplan around it - quick passes, get the ball out of Dak’s hands, and and take calculated shots. Instead, the brain trust that almost got Dak killed against Atlanta runs Zeke into the middle on 1st down (or toss sweeps to him on 3rd and 11) and then tries to have Austin run double moves on third down when Williams is bringing the house. And if you missed the run straight, stop, and turn around route “tree” of last year, well it was back in all its glory yesterday. And last, but not least, Michael Gallup was awful.

Terrible execution of a terrible gameplan with no evident in-game adjustments, continued reliance on a terrible kicker, and botched end of game clock management.

Awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom