Aaron Rodgers “cussed out” an official against Cowboys yet was not penalized for “abusive language”

lostxn

DCC 4Life
That doesn’t exactly seem fair.

By RJ Ochoa@rjochoa Oct 9, 2019, 4:30pm CDT
Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
The Dallas Cowboys lost to the Green Bay Packers last Sunday. They got beat handily and there isn’t a singular moment or transgression that anyone can point to that can prove how the Cowboys should have won. They were outplayed.

There was one detail to the game though that should concern fans of all football teams, the Cowboys and Packers fan bases among them. NFL officiating has been quite poor across all games through five weeks as we’ve seen questionable calls seemingly game in and game out. This was absolutely the case for Dallas and Green Bay.

Packers left tackle David Bakhtiari drew the game’s first two penalties as he was called for a false start and holding penalty on Green Bay’s first possession. Bakhtiari does a weekly radio appearance on 105.7 The Fan and on Tuesday discussed how he felt that the holding call against him was one of the worst that he’s ever been called for in his life.
“That holding call has got to go down as one of the worst holding calls I have ever been called for in my entire life. To a point where I made him tell me his reasoning, to which I got in response, ‘I played defensive end, there’s no way Aaron Rodgers is out-running Robert Quinn.’”

“To such point I then tattletaled on the ref to Aaron because most refs are, you know, they like to have good relations with quarterbacks, especially ones that will go down as some of the best of all-time.”

“To then such credit, Aaron cusses him out, to then he comes to me and says, ‘Did you really just rat me out to Aaron?’ to I responding ‘You just ratted me out to America.’ Then he’s laughing and then asks me ‘Was it really that bad of me to call a holding call on that?’ I’m like, ‘Absolutely.’”

“I have no problem admitting if I do do it. It happens. I play a lot of games. I’ve done a lot of plays. It’s bound to happen, it will happen again.”​

This seems like quite the overreaction from Bakhtiari, especially when you re-watch the play. While it was certainly not the most egregious holding penalty to ever occur in the National Football League you can clearly see him grab the side of Robert Quinn's helmet. Bakhtiari admits that Aaron Rodgers cussed out an official, though.

Perhaps the most ridiculous penalty of the game was actually called against Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett. By now you’re well-familiar with what happened. Amari Cooper made a catch, the official incorrectly ruled it not a catch, and Jason Garrett had to challenge it as a result. Considering it was his last remaining challenge he was bothered that he had to waste it on something that seemed so obvious to everyone on the Cowboys sideline.

After the game was over referee Ron Torbert explained the unsportsmanlike conduct that was handed down to Jason Garrett rather matter-of-factly. He didn’t say much and simply stated that Jason Garrett used “abusive language” towards an official.

If you carefully read what David Bakhtiari told 105.7 The Fan, he literally said that Aaron Rodgers “cussed out” the official after Bakhtiari told Rodgers the reasoning for which he had been called for holding. Read it again.
“To such point I then tattletaled on the ref to Aaron because most refs are, you know, they like to have good relations with quarterbacks, especially ones that will go down as some of the best of all-time.”

“To then such credit, Aaron cusses him out, to then he comes to me and says, ‘Did you really just rat me out to Aaron?’ to I responding ‘You just ratted me out to America.’ Then he’s laughing and then asks me ‘Was it really that bad of me to call a holding call on that?’ I’m like, ‘Absolutely.’”​

So how is it then that when Aaron Rodgers “cussed out” an official it was not considered “abusive language” but when Jason Garrett said whatever he did (the exact specifics we do not and likely never will know) he was?

It’s hard to have a full understanding of this given that we don’t know exactly what was said by Jason Garrett, but Aaron Rodgers cussing out an official, specifically due to a penalty being called on his teammate of all things, seems equally flagrant in the grand scheme of things. Consider that Jason Garrett was protesting having to burn his final challenge on what was an obvious thing while Aaron Rodgers was complaining about a rightful penalty called on Bakhtiari.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
This is so exactly what you would think goes on. Fucking refs all buddy-buddy with Aaron Rodgers but treats the Cowboys staff like shit. I know you haters out there will blame Garrett and the organization but fuck that. The Cowboys are the most popular franchise in the league. We should be getting calls, not the victim week in and week out of shit calls. There were so many shitty calls in that game. By the way, the call the left tackle was complaining about was absolutely a hold, it allowed Rodgers to scramble out of trouble and it was super obvious because Quinn sold it well. I could see the hold from the cheap seats at the stadium.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Come on, man. When it's 31-3 you can't blame the refs. Every area of the team sucked, even down to the kickers.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Come on, man. When it's 31-3 you can't blame the refs. Every area of the team sucked, even down to the kickers.
This isn't the primary reason we lost, but this is 3 games out of the last 4 against Green Bay with slanted ref calls. From the Dez non-catch, to the blatant Witten TD interference not called, to the BS substitution call on Butler called 2 other times in history, to bad DPI calls made and not, that BS incomplete pass ruling, phantom holding calls, garbage roughing penalties, it goes on and on. Literally every time we tried to gain momentum that fucking ref crew was knocking us back. We also got rooked at New Orleans last week. We simply get more than our fair share of bad calls. Unless we're playing Detroit. Just tired of it.

It has cost us games. Maybe not Sunday but certainly didn't help.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
When you just look at it like that on the surface, sure. But those shit calls snow ball, and certainly help in making a score lobsided. Halting scoring drives, allowing their scoring drives to continue, etc...

data

Forbes #1
Fuck. We’re we really down 31-3?

I thought it was 24-3 when we scored our first TD.

data

Forbes #1
You have to think it’s somehow influenced by Jerruh’s resistance against Goodell’s contract extension a couple years ago.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have to think it’s somehow influenced by Jerruh’s resistance against Goodell’s contract extension a couple years ago.
I don't know of the league would really go that far. But just as a Giants fan ignored the evidence with Zeke in favor of a suspension I'm sure most NFL refs grew up loving a team and hating certain other teams. To say they are unbiased or have no personal feelings towards who wins would be silly. They all have their favorites I'm sure. And those favorites will come out better.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the way if they call the Gallup PI it's a totally different game. It literally killed the comeback.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I thought Green Bay got some questionable calls against them, too. But that's every team now. There are so many freaking flags that everyone is getting some bad ones.

Still wish the league could figure out how to cut the number of calls back, because it's making the games a beating to watch. College doesn't have nearly as many.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I thought Green Bay got some questionable calls against them, too. But that's every team now. There are so many freaking flags that everyone is getting some bad ones.

Still wish the league could figure out how to cut the number of calls back, because it's making the games a beating to watch. College doesn't have nearly as many.
The only call they seem to bitch about is the Dak roughing penalty but the guy hit him in the head and his head recoiled. Could they have let it go? Sure, but they sure as fuck would have called that for Rodgers. We get flagged for sacking Rodgers FFS. It was ticky tack. Probably similar to the PI on Brown. But that didn't really keep a drive going. We had a FD either way.

p1_

DCC 4Life
penalty calls are really an issue this year. its bad.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Which ones? I can't say I noticed any.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
The only call they seem to bitch about is the Dak roughing penalty but the guy hit him in the head and his head recoiled. Could they have let it go? Sure, but they sure as fuck would have called that for Rodgers. We get flagged for sacking Rodgers FFS. It was ticky tack. Probably similar to the PI on Brown. But that didn't really keep a drive going. We had a FD either way.
The call that really pissed me off was the Rodgers attempted forward lateral they ruled a forward pass

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
And somehow not intentional grounding. Which was a joke and a half.
And everyone knows damn well the next example of that will immediately be ruled a fumble and any challenge will be laughed off and confirmed

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The call that really pissed me off was the Rodgers attempted forward lateral they ruled a forward pass
I wonder if another QB who tried that half a fag wrist flick could get away with it. Maybe Brady would.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Any ball throw forward is a pass no matter how it’s thrown. If a lateral is attempted and it travels forward it is simply a forward pass.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any ball throw forward is a pass no matter how it’s thrown. If a lateral is attempted and it travels forward it is simply a forward pass.
The arm has to be moving forward and the QB has to have posession of the ball. Flicking it into the ground while you're fumbling isn't a pass.

midswat

... soon
The article is TL so I DR, but based solely on the thread title I fail to see what the issue is.

Top Bottom