Game Day Chatter Thread | Week 5 | Packers at Cowboys | 10/06/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sooner or later we will lose a game because of Maher. We hit that fieldgoal at the end of the half and then go for the TD at the end of regulation to tie rather than still need another score. Who knows. Don't give the guy a pass just because he wasn't the biggest problem. He was a serious problem and not one we weren't already worried about.
There is no excuse to not even look at some kickers. At least see what the other options out there look like.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
There is no excuse to not even look at some kickers. At least see what the other options out there look like.
Cant find the tweet now but Archer replied to some people complaining about Maher. The tweet gave Mahers FG % and then listed the people available and the way it read gave the impression that Archer didnt think any were worthwhile despite the fact that two of them had higher percentages.

Why improve?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cant find the tweet now but Archer replied to some people complaining about Maher. The tweet gave Mahers FG % and then listed the people available and the way it read gave the impression that Archer didnt think any were worthwhile despite the fact that two of them had higher percentages.

Why improve?
Yeah I saw that too. I was thinking the same thing. Those guys hit at a higher percent, how are they not better? I'm not asking for elite but there are at least competent options out there.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Why improve?
The easy thing to say is the Cowboys need to cut Brett Maher, who has missed six field goal attempts in his last 12 games over the last two seasons, including two vs. Green Bay. But who’s out there? Last week New England worked out five kickers before signing Mike Nugent, including Kai Forbath, Blair Walsh, Elliott Fry and Matthew Wright. Forbath has made 83.7% of his field goal tries the last two seasons. Walsh has made 73%. Maher has made 76.7% the last two seasons.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer2d ago

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forbath was in our camp once upon a time.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Archer likes our guys

deadrise

DCC 4Life
This is completely retarded. Missed FGs are not only missed points, but momentum killers. The other team comes off the field fired up that no points were given up, and ours comes off dejected that they put together a scoring drive, but came away with nothing.

To think trying to secure a good kicker is 'band-aid stuff' is moronic.
I was trying to make a larger point about deeper problems -- coaching deficiencies and ownership incompetence. They've been there for 20 years. You don't fix what was wrong in the Green Bay game -- and all the other failures over that time, by getting a better kicker.

Green Bay rode roughshod over Dallas. A missed field goal, or a kicker who can't it done wouldn't have changed that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I was trying to make a larger point about deeper problems -- coaching deficiencies and ownership incompetence. They've been there for 20 years. You don't fix what was wrong in the Green Bay game -- and all the other failures over that time, by getting a better kicker.

Green Bay rode roughshod over Dallas. A missed field goal, or a kicker who can't it done wouldn't have changed that.
but you will never fix the ownership problem either. coaching might be a different story, lots of folks might just get their wish if these performances continue

p1_

DCC 4Life

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
but you will never fix the ownership problem either. coaching might be a different story, lots of folks might just get their wish if these performances continue
You fix what you can and live with what you can't change. You can't fix Jerry but you sure as shit can fix the kicker problem. I guess some would rather just give up and bury their head in the sand until Jerry dies. Can't blame them but I'd rather try to fix the problems that are fixable.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Right. The ownership problem is a like a chronic, incurable disease. The organization is the patient, and the patient has been suffering the ill-effects of the disease, the symptoms, for over 20 years. Doctors have tried everything. Nothing works.

A crappy kicker is just one of many symptoms of the disease, the same kinds of symptoms that have shown up every year for 23 years. A new kicker may win a game or two here and there, but pretending that the new kicker will have any effect on the underlying disease is pointless -- and stupid.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
You fix what you can and live with what you can't change. You can't fix Jerry but you sure as shit can fix the kicker problem. I guess some would rather just give up and bury their head in the sand until Jerry dies. Can't blame them but I'd rather try to fix the problems that are fixable.
But here's the problem: You can't fix anything.

data

Forbes #1
Right. The ownership problem is a like a chronic, incurable disease. The organization is the patient, and the patient has been suffering the ill-effects of the disease, the symptoms, for over 20 years. Doctors have tried everything. Nothing works.

A crappy kicker is just one of many symptoms of the disease, the same kinds of symptoms that have shown up every year for 23 years. A new kicker may win a game or two here and there, but pretending that the new kicker will have any effect on the underlying disease is pointless -- and stupid.
Have you been to Cowboys Fan Rebellion...there's a movement in progress to put a billboard by Texas Stadium to "Fire GM Jerry Jones". Might even be a podcast.

Iamtdg What's the latest?

Cotton

Staff member
Have you been to Cowboys Fan Rebellion...there's a movement in progress to put a billboard by Texas Stadium to "Fire GM Jerry Jones". Might even be a podcast.

Iamtdg What's the latest?
I forgot to pay the hosting for that site and it went down. RIP

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I'm sorry, I just see people picking at the margins, around the edges. "We need a new kicker, a 'stud' DT, a different DC, a new coach, an edge rusher" and on and on.

You can't be loaded at every position, and reportedly this team was pretty stacked going in. How many more "studs" do you need at how many more positions before someone realizes that's not the problem?

Coaches? Okay. But there's always a messiah HC out there who will come in and somehow carry the team to the promised land. Hasn't happened for the past quarter-century.

Garrett is a toad and a loser, and Marinelli should be riding on a golf cart in a retirement village somewhere. But they're just temporary symptoms of a chronic disease. The disease is the owner who keeps those coaches there, and will hire the next symptoms -- if it ever comes to that.

If the patient is suffering from chronic internal bleeding, the answer isn't a band aid.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm sorry, I just see people picking at the margins, around the edges. "We need a new kicker, a 'stud' DT, a different DC, a new coach, an edge rusher" and on and on.

You can't be loaded at every position, and reportedly this team was pretty stacked going in. How many more "studs" do you need at how many more positions before someone realizes that's not the problem?

Coaches? Okay. But there's always a messiah HC out there who will come in and somehow carry the team to the promised land. Hasn't happened for the past quarter-century.

Garrett is a toad and a loser, and Marinelli should be riding on a golf cart in a retirement village somewhere. But they're just temporary symptoms of a chronic disease. The disease is the owner who keeps those coaches there, and will hire the next symptoms -- if it ever comes to that.

If the patient is suffering from chronic internal bleeding, the answer isn't a band aid.
You do know that there isn't anything we can do about the owner, right?

The only thing is we can discuss the issues with the team. I will let you in on a little secret, though. You arent saying anything that hasnt been said here before. We all know Jerry is the problem but what are you going to do? He isnt going anywhere so you can either live in a pit of hate or try to make the best of what you do have. Here at the DCC we have moved on to accepting that Jerry isn't going anywhere. Neither is his son. Garrett will move up into the front office as well. Its just what we have.

p1_

DCC 4Life
we call it....quiet desperation.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
People on this board have literally been wishing for Jerry Jones to die for almost 20 years.

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom