Game Day Chatter Thread | Week 5 | Packers at Cowboys | 10/06/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He fired Landry
As a technicality that could be said but it’s still a bit of a stretch. Jones already had his head coach lined up before he bought the team and Bright was supposed to have told Landry he was selling and the new owner was bringing in his own coach. Bright didn’t get around to that and news was released that Jones was in town to buy the team and was accompanied by Johnson. I seem to remember that a little later Jones trying to contact Landry but he left town.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
He fired Landry
In his defense, it was way past time for Landry to go. Its something Tex Schramm should have handled years before. It should have never been that Landry had to be "fired" he should have been talked into retirement after the 83 or 84 season. The game was passing him by rapidly and there was no chance he was ever going to turn it around.

p1_

DCC 4Life
As a technicality that could be said but it’s still a bit of a stretch. Jones already had his head coach lined up before he bought the team and Bright was supposed to have told Landry he was selling and the new owner was bringing in his own coach. Bright didn’t get around to that and news was released that Jones was in town to buy the team and was accompanied by Johnson. I seem to remember that a little later Jones trying to contact Landry but he left town.
Jones and/or Schramm flew to Austin to deliver the bad news as Landry was golfing.

p1_

DCC 4Life
In his defense, it was way past time for Landry to go. Its something Tex Schramm should have handled years before. It should have never been that Landry had to be "fired" he should have been talked into retirement after the 83 or 84 season. The game was passing him by rapidly and there was no chance he was ever going to turn it around.
Youre absolutely correct. I remember feeling that way at the time.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And then Landry put in maybe his best coaching job ever in 1985, going 10-6 with a very flawed team.

But the game was steadily passing him by with younger coaches putting in 18 hour days mainly so they could beat him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom