Game Day Chatter Thread | Week 4 | Cowboys @ Saints | 09/29/19

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As an aside, I don't believe any coach jeri would allow to be hired is going to have any success (ie win a SB), he'll be pigeon holed into the castrated role jeri has spent years constructing which undermines any coaches effort to do their best. This is only made worse by having his spawn permeate the entire organization including acting as minders to their coaching staff as they try to do their jobs. I dont think there's a coach on the planet willing and able to overcome the albatross to winning that is jeri jones

Garrett knows this system better than anyone and might be the best person to excel within these constraints, despite qualities I don't like and think are counterproductive to winning
I think a proven coach could. But good proven coaches aren't going to want to come to Dallas. Hell good proven coaches don't want to leave their teams. Any young up and coming coach Jerry is going to treat like a kid who needs mentoring. Yoir best hope would be a proven college coach like Riley who is both proven and brilliant. Jerry might give someone like that the upfront power and money to draw him in.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I woukd submit that literally about three or four plays are all that separates Garrett from being considered one of the league’s better coaches. The Dez no-catch and, say, beating GB again in 2016, even with losses in the championship the following week, would have Garrett probably considered a coach on the cusp of a championship run.
The way we had performed all year in both instances a focused, inventive coach would have beat GB by double digits. In 2014 we had some idiotic empty backfield calls before the half that prevented us taking a major lead.

Milti’s post covered some of the 2016 games issues, but the biggest one was not having the guts to start Romo at the end of the year knowing Dak’s limitations as a rookie and the dependence on the passing game that playoff football demanded.

Not saying we win the Super Bowl in 2014 given the deterioration of the defense, but we had a real shot in 2016.

Garrett always just makes the supposedly smart decision that just really isn’t smart, and he never seems to learn from it.

data

Forbes #1
I think a proven coach could. But good proven coaches aren't going to want to come to Dallas. Hell good proven coaches don't want to leave their teams. Any young up and coming coach Jerry is going to treat like a kid who needs mentoring. Yoir best hope would be a proven college coach like Riley who is both proven and brilliant. Jerry might give someone like that the upfront power and money to draw him in.
It’s either Garrett, an ex-player, Norv turner or Dan Reev...oh wait.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I've always said the unknown is better than when you know a guy doesn't have it. You'll either find a failure or you'll hit on the next McVay but you won't know if you don't try to improve.
10 years is way past the point of "doesn't have it".

data

Forbes #1
The worst coach isn’t the one who goes 3-13 and gets fired. It’s the Marvin Lewis’ who teases year-after-year, wasting away players’ peaks until you look back a decade and realize where the fuck did time go and how the hell has Nick Foles won a Super Bowl before I can reach a semi-final.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Jason Lewis?

Marvin Garrett?

:furley

UncleMilti

Staff member
CSB moment....Don Knotts grew up 8 houses down from my grandparents home in WV. I used to see him running around Morgantown all the time, drinking a soda and eating a hamburger at Auggies. Always thought he was funny as hell. Now back to your regularly scheduled Garrett shitshow.

data

Forbes #1
Major fail. They've both won the award already. Twice.
Well, then I’d like to see Arians and Rivera at least get to a Championship game...and never mind the dozen or so other coaches that have been to a Championship Game or Super Bowl this past decade cuz they couldn’t take the Cowboys further than Garrett has, even though they did for their respective team.

Why? cuz Garrett’s got this intangible Wild Card Round invincibility, which is essentially a couple plays from Super Bowl kingdom, baby. Strap yourself in, this rocket’s about to blast off.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, and if we went after Riley, I'd be all for it.

But tomorrow's flavor of the month coordinator? Another Chan Gailey? Forget it. We're better off with Garrett.

You say "we know what Garrett is and he doesn't have it," but that's an over generalization. We have been just a very small handful of plays away from advancing every time we've been to the divisional round under him. So maybe yes, we know he's not the master tactician that is going to elevate the team, but those types aren't easy to find. What Garrett HAS done is oversee a team that is well-oiled enough to get to that level with some consistency. Absent a coaching upgrade, I think the smart move is just keep rolling the dice and hope that one of those years you break through. It's not like there's a law of physics that says "Garrett absolutely CANNOT win." A fumble here, a missed tackle there, and you are in the Super Bowl.

You also say, keep trying till you find the right guy. Well what does that mean? A new hiring and firing every 3 years? We've been through that. Switzer-Gailey-Campo-Parcells-Wade. Do that and you kiss the productive portions of the careers of Zeke, Cooper and Dak goodbye.

There is value to the stability that a long term coach brings. Yes, it'd be great if that long term coach was Reid, Belichick, or Payton, but we don't have one of those. Obviously you will never get one if you just stick with Garrett, but my point is, I don't trust Jerry to find one of those off the scrap heap. What I DO trust Jerry to do is throw money at the "can't fail" coaching prospect, and lure him to Dallas with money and power (though obviously no coaching prospect is "can't fail" but some are higher caliber as coaching prospects than others).

So Lincoln Riley, come on down. I'm all for it. But I'm not sure I see a top notch head coach in waiting in the NFL ranks right now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well, then I’d like to see Arians and Rivera at least get to a Championship game...and never mind the dozen or so other coaches that have been to a Championship Game or Super Bowl this past decade cuz they couldn’t take the Cowboys further than Garrett has, even though they did for their respective team.

Why? cuz Garrett’s got this intangible Wild Card Round invincibility, which is essentially a couple plays from Super Bowl kingdom, baby. Strap yourself in, this rocket’s about to blast off.
Your satire is pretty weak.

data

Forbes #1
Yeah, and if we went after Riley, I'd be all for it.

But tomorrow's flavor of the month coordinator? Another Chan Gailey? Forget it. We're better off with Garrett.

You say "we know what Garrett is and he doesn't have it," but that's an over generalization. We have been just a very small handful of plays away from advancing every time we've been to the divisional round under him. So maybe yes, we know he's not the master tactician that is going to elevate the team, but those types aren't easy to find. What Garrett HAS done is oversee a team that is well-oiled enough to get to that level with some consistency. Absent a coaching upgrade, I think the smart move is just keep rolling the dice and hope that one of those years you break through. It's not like there's a law of physics that says "Garrett absolutely CANNOT win." A fumble here, a missed tackle there, and you are in the Super Bowl.

You also say, keep trying till you find the right guy. Well what does that mean? A new hiring and firing every 3 years? We've been through that. Switzer-Gailey-Campo-Parcells-Wade. Do that and you kiss the productive portions of the careers of Zeke, Cooper and Dak goodbye.

There is value to the stability that a long term coach brings. Yes, it'd be great if that long term coach was Reid, Belichick, or Payton, but we don't have one of those. Obviously you will never get one if you just stick with Garrett, but my point is, I don't trust Jerry to find one of those off the scrap heap. What I DO trust Jerry to do is throw money at the "can't fail" coaching prospect, and lure him to Dallas with money and power (though obviously no coaching prospect is "can't fail" but some are higher caliber as coaching prospects than others).

So Lincoln Riley, come on down. I'm all for it. But I'm not sure I see a top notch head coach in waiting in the NFL ranks right now.
Did the Bengals make a mistake during Marvin Lewis for a non-“can’t fail” coaching prospect like Zac Taylor?

If Garrett’s only a fumble or missed tackle away from the Super Bowl, then a couple years ago Marvin Lewis was only two fumbles or two missed tackles away from the Super Bowl.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Did the Bengals make a mistake during Marvin Lewis for a non-“can’t fail” coaching prospect like Zac Taylor?

If Garrett’s only a fumble or missed tackle away from the Super Bowl, then a couple years ago Marvin Lewis was only two fumbles or two missed tackles away from the Super Bowl.
And millions of people playing the lottery are only 1 or 2 or 3 numbers from millions in winnings!!!!!!

:dunce

data

Forbes #1
Garretts hasn’t been to a Championship Game in his eight years here.

1. Hiring a retread - Gary Kubiak won a Super Bowl. Belichick is a Browns retread.
2. Hiring a non-can’t fail prospect - Doug Pederson won a Super Bowl. Whisenhunt, Rivera, Dan Quinn have made Super Bowl.
3. Keeping 8+ year tenure, non-elite coach around and hoping that the team makes the jump - I don’t think it’s ever happened.

Essentially, while #1 & 2 hire-fire every 3 years is exhausting and low-percentage, low-percentage sure beats ‘never’ in #3.

4. Waiting to hire a can’t fail prospect - in the last five years, Schmittys list is comprised of five names...Belichick, Payton, Jim Harbaugh, Lincoln Riley, Andy Reid...this isn’t going to happen. Even when it does, it doesn’t perceivable succeed at a higher rate than #1 & 2. Jimmy Johnson Dolphins, Nick Saban, Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier...

With that being said, I’d keep Garrett.

data

Forbes #1
And millions of people playing the lottery are only 1 or 2 or 3 numbers from millions in winnings!!!!!!

Mike Tomlin’s been to Super Bowls. He’s struggling as of late, so, yeah, let’s go Schmitty-method until a higher percentage coaching candidate comes along.

Garrett ain’t no Tomlin. Garrett ain’t no Ron Rivera. Garrett ain’t no John Harbaugh. They’ve had success, so they’ve possibly earned resiliency through rough patches.

What has Garrett achieved? At least Schottenheimer made the Championship Games level.

Nope, let’s hope The Golden missed tackle or The Golden fumble happens.

data

Forbes #1

pssst..a lotto ticket expires after one drawing. You can get rid of the one you’ve held for eight years.

If you hit four out of six numbers, it doesn’t extend the life of your lotto ticket.

Schmitty is refreshing Garrett’s lifespan with every Divisional Playoff appearance. Whereas you people are stacking Divisional Playoff frustrations on top of each other.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
One day Garrett will be gone and what a glorious day that will be.

data

Forbes #1
One day Garrett will be gone and what a glorious day that will be.
All this teeth-gnashing is pointless. It's the Jones family.

So long as Kellen Moore keeps a Top 12 offense, he's our next head coach. No retreads, no Jesus-in-a-headset, no can't fail prospect...Kellen Moore.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
All this teeth-gnashing is pointless. It's the Jones family.

So long as Kellen Moore keeps a Top 12 offense, he's our next head coach. No retreads, no Jesus-in-a-headset, no can't fail prospect...Kellen Moore.
So you're saying that Kellen is to Red as Red was to Wade? And that Kellen would be cheaper (but not better) than Riley?

:window

Top Bottom