Cowboys rookie DT Trysten Hill expected to make NFL debut as starter Antwaun Woods is sidelined with a knee injury

p1_

DCC 4Life
Hill has been inactive the first two weeks waiting as the Cowboys tried to clear up room along a jammed defensive line.

Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Trysten Hill (79) and tight end Dalton Schultz (86) run a drill during an afternoon practice at training camp in Oxnard, California on Sunday, July 28, 2019. (Ashley Landis/The Dallas Morning News)(Ashley Landis / Staff Photographer)

FRISCO — Cowboys second-round pick Trysten Hill is expected to make his debut on Sunday against the Miami Dolphins.Hill, a defensive tackle, has been inactive the first two weeks waiting as the Cowboys tried to clear up room along a jammed defensive line.

A knee injury to starting defensive tackle Antwaun Woods, who won’t play against the Dolphins, has cleared the way for Hill along with some other moves.

The Cowboys also released defensive end Taco Charlton on Wednesday, allowing defensive end Robert Quinn to become activated to the 53-man roster after missing two weeks while on suspension for PEDs. Charlton was eventually claimed by the Dolphins on Thursday.

Hill, drafted as a three-technique defensive tackle, most likely won’t start, but will backup starter Maliek Collins and nose tackle Christian Covington, who takes over for Woods in the starting lineup.

The Cowboys would normally move Collins to play both interior defensive line spots. Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said Collins is playing so well at the three-technique position he doesn’t want to disrupt that success.

So Hill has been getting reps at both interior line positions to create some position flexibility and it’s going to pay off on Sunday.

Xavier Woods health improving: Starting safety Xavier Woods said he's feeling much better after suffering an acute high-ankle sprain in last week's game against the Redskins. "It's early," Woods said. "I want to make sure when I come back, I'm not limping. We got some time."

Woods used a walking boot for one day and is now doing some rehab work.

Woods wouldn’t say how long he’s going to be out but sources say he could be out anywhere from two-to-four weeks. Cowboys officials believe it’s more on the shorter side of time.

Nothing new with Dak Prescott's contract status: Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said Friday there is nothing to say about contract talks with quarterback Dak Prescott.

I don’t want to comment on any details,” Jones said on KRLD-FM. “It doesn’t do anybody any good. We’d love to get it done. That’s really all I’ve got to say about it.”

Briefly: The Cowboys will miss four starters due to injuries: WR Michael Gallup (knee), DE Tyrone Crawford (hip), DT Antwaun Woods (knee) and S Xavier Woods (ankle). ... WR Tavon Austin (concussion) LB Luke Gifford (ankle) were ruled out for the game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean it's a good game to break him in and build some confidence.

As far as Daks contract the number may keep going up after this game. I'm not sure we are talking 31 mil anymore.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
He was such a liability in the preseason this makes me nervous.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
Who will be more dominant today- TACO or TRYSTEN????????????

OL for both teams are probably sweating this one out.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This guy just might be another soft Taco

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was such a liability in the preseason this makes me nervous.
I mean he was fine against single blocks. But when double teamed he'd be 5 yards down the field. Hopefully he can at least look like the 300+ pounder that he is.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Anybody notice his play today? I don't even remember seeing him on the field.

Apparently he was credited with 2 QB hits. No tackles.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I saw him celebrating the forced fumble and recovery, but I don’t think either was him, he was just on the field for that play.

But I didn’t notice him much. Of course I do usually watch football with two children under 4 years old dog piling me incessantly for three straight hours, anymore.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
Anybody notice his play today? I don't even remember seeing him on the field.

Apparently he was credited with 2 QB hits. No tackles.
He'll end up with 2-3 pressures, had a couple QB hits and did mess up one short yardage run play by getting into the backfield pretty fast.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Of course I do usually watch football with two children under 4 years old dog piling me incessantly for three straight hours, anymore.
You need to get control of your house, Smitty.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He'll end up with 2-3 pressures, had a couple QB hits and did mess up one short yardage run play by getting into the backfield pretty fast.
Anybody have the clip of this play? I got the impression it was allowed to look that way. Like they wanted to take advantage of the rookie and let him in with a slight block to the right and run in the hole he vacated.

Or not and the RB just read the block and went opposite.

Top Bottom