Game Day Chatter Thread | Week 2 | Cowboys @ Redskins | 09/15/19

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No one has started this thread yet because you all know that you need to ride the hot hand, amirite?

Cowboys - 38

Skins- 13

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Dolphins likely to trade Minkah Fitzpatrick with several teams interested, but there's no mutiny in Miami[/h] [h=2]Fitzpatrick was Miami's first-round pick in 2018, and trading him would likely be the last piece of the teardown[/h]
The Miami Dolphins are not dealing with a locker-room uprising or multiple trade requests, contrary to a report, but the team is likely to be moving on from 2018 first-round pick Minkah Fitzpatrick, perhaps as soon as this week. That trade would signal the end of the club's teardown and draft-pick accumulation, team and league sources said, ahead of what will be a lengthy rebuild.
Fitzpatrick, a dynamic and versatile defensive back who has yet to find a stable role in Miami's new defense under rookie head coach Brian Flores, is the only Dolphin currently requesting a trade, sources said, and his agent, Joel Segal, has permission to shop him around the league. Numerous clubs are interested in the former Alabama standout, and while agreeing on trade compensation will take some time, several league sources indicated they would not be surprised if something got done before Week 3.
According to league sources, roughly 20 teams have reached out to Segal and/or the Dolphins about Fitzpatrick, with the team seeking a future first-round pick for him at this point. The asking price could change depending on the strength of the offers.
Miami, after decades of being perpetually stuck in the middle of the NFL pack, is attempting a full-scale overhaul in hopes of building a young and talented team that can truly compete on a sustained basis. It began with an extended purge of veteran players (many on bloated contracts) and free agents this offseason, with general manager Chris Grier trying to clear out payroll and cap space for the long haul while also accruing as much draft capital as possible and identifying cornerstone players for the future from the current roster.
The exodus was essentially complete with the trade of starting left tackle Laremy Tunsil and receiver Kenny Stills before the season, but Fitzpatrick's unhappiness with his role and concerns with the staff led Miami to address his trade demand. Dolphins brass is not contacting other teams seeking a deal, but if Segal can broker something to their liking they will move on from him. Safety Reshad Jones, 31, has drawn some interest from teams in the past, but his $13M makes a trade prohibitive and at this point he is expected to finish the season in Miami.

Flores has endured a difficult beginning to his tenure, losing Jim Caldwell, his top assistant and the man charged with running the offense, to a health-related issue before the season, firing his offensive line coach a week into camp, dealing with a rift between Stills and owner Stephen Ross and suffering a 59-10 defeat at the hands of the Ravens in Week 1. Fitzpatrick, who is viewed by some teams as a true slot corner and by others as more of a free safety, played just 63 percent of the defensive snaps in Week 1 and did start the game (Miami opened in a nickel package) after ending the 2018 season playing roughly 98 percent of the snaps down the stretch.
The Dolphins are widely expected to be in contention for the first-overall pick, given their inexperienced roster and coaching staff, and have multiple first-round selections the next two years, with 2020 very likely to be a trying campaign as well.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
She's been right on just about nothing all offseason and through training camp, so take it with a grain of salt.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
This was always something that was odd, because McClay has been a big proponent of SPARQ since basically taking over the draft process here.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
She's been right on just about nothing all offseason and through training camp, so take it with a grain of salt.

I don't think she is saying anything that significant. It is pretty clear that Charlton wants out and has wanted out and it is also very evident the front office does not care for his attitude.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
I don't think she is saying anything that significant. It is pretty clear that Charlton wants out and has wanted out and it is also very evident the front office does not care for his attitude.
I was talking about the part where she claims he asked to be traded in the offseason.

That said, while he is everyone's favorite whipping boy now I can sort of understand why he would want out. He probably thinks he is better that Tyrone Crawford and yet after missing all of camp and preseason, Crawford was promptly reinserted into the starting lineup and Charlton, who did have a good preseason was benched.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This was always something that was odd, because McClay has been a big proponent of SPARQ since basically taking over the draft process here.
:marinelli

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was talking about the part where she claims he asked to be traded in the offseason.

That said, while he is everyone's favorite whipping boy now I can sort of understand why he would want out. He probably thinks he is better that Tyrone Crawford and yet after missing all of camp and preseason, Crawford was promptly reinserted into the starting lineup and Charlton, who did have a good preseason was benched.
They are trying to make an example of him is the only thing I can tell. What they really need to do is sit down with him tell him you're not going anywhere join the team and play your ass off and than you'll have value. This stalemate isn't helping anyone.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think they know he can't play and they're trying to end his film on a high note getting some pressure against scrubs.

This narrative that he's being held back for a trade sounds better than having the guy be a healthy scratch.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. The Dallas Cowboys have had trade talks involving pass rusher Taco Charlton, per Rapoport and NFL Network's Jane Slater. Charlton will be inactive Sunday when the Cowboys face the Redskins, but no trade plans are imminent, Rapoport and Slater report. Charlton, a 2017 first-round pick, has just four sacks in two seasons.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The kindest thing you can say is that he's "flashed" from time to time. Pre-season (fwiw) was the best I've ever seen him. He actually seemed motivated.
When I say he can play I'm saying he has shown more than all the other DEs on the roster not named Lawrence and Quinn. I'm not saying he can play like a star but he can not be a total liability the way Crawford is at times at DE. And he is better than Armstrong and Hyder right now in his career.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
When I say he can play I'm saying he has shwon more than all thebother DEs on thebroster not named Lawrence and Quinn. I'm not saying he can play like a star but he can not be a total liability the way Crawford is at times at DE. And he is better than Armstrong and Hyder right now in his career.
Crawford is definitely better at DT. To start an inferior player at DE in order to "punish" Taco is the height of pettiness.

Top Bottom