Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well deserved.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well deserved.
I was impressed how he looked so comfortable with the pace and tempo along with the play action. And he amazingly threw passes in the middle of the field at moderate distances. He threw a few ducks (the Jarwin TD for example), but overall, an excellent performance.

Cotton

Staff member
I was impressed how he looked so comfortable with the pace and tempo along with the play action. And he amazingly threw passes in the middle of the field at moderate distances. He threw a few ducks (the Jarwin TD for example), but overall, an excellent performance.
I think the biggest difference I saw in him was how quickly he was getting the ball off. It was like night and day different from last year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think the biggest difference I saw in him was how quickly he was getting the ball off. It was like night and day different from last year.
Well, quick developing plays instead of perimeter passes that need time to establish separation makes all the difference.

Cotton

Staff member
Well, quick developing plays instead of perimeter passes that need time to establish separation makes all the difference.
That's definitely a lot of it, for sure, but it's not all of it. He just seemed more decisive.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A more intricately devised offensive scheme also makes the QB's reads simpler rather than having to make your reads based off a stagnant alignment and simplistic route combinations that are ran in isolation. The better play-callers in the league (McVay, Pederson, Reid, etc.) come up with holistic play designs that make pre-snap reads easier with movement, as well as post-snap reads by giving the QB's if/then types of decisions in attacking specific areas of the field rather than just running a bunch of routes in isolation from one side of the field to the other, and asking them to go from 1-2-3.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's definitely a lot of it, for sure, but it's not all of it. He just seemed more decisive.
Could it be from the coaching he has received for the past season and into this one. He has been in a constant tutelage of Moore and lately of Kitna? How else can it be explained?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Could it be from the coaching he has received for the past season and into this one. He has been in a constant tutelage of Moore and lately of Kitna? How else can it be explained?
i think the Kitna hire is paying dividends. And with Moore, Dak has a guy who's been with him since day One, that he's comfortable with. Im sure he and Kellen had conversations about the challenges of being under Linehan's thumb.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The offensive design being geared differently is the bigger factor, IMO. He has improved his footwork and confidence in the pocket, so you can credit Kitna in a way.

But no question, the scheme being more conducive for success helps immensely.

Look at guys like Jared Goff. Under Fisher and who the hell over was his OC, he looked like he couldn't play. Then McVay comes over and he is like night and day.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The offensive design being geared differently is the bigger factor, IMO. He has improved his footwork and confidence in the pocket, so you can credit Kitna in a way.

But no question, the scheme being more conducive for success helps immensely.

Look at guys like Jared Goff. Under Fisher and who the hell over was his OC, he looked like he couldn't play. Then McVay comes over and he is like night and day.
Yep play calling and actually getting guys open makes a huge difference. I actually think Moore is a better offensive coordinator than he is a QB coach.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Yep play calling and actually getting guys open makes a huge difference. I actually think Moore is a better offensive coordinator than he is a QB coach.
I read something recently (I can't remember where) that said Moore made his own playbook when he was 17 and busted it for the Boise St coaches and apparently none of them had every seen anything like that. Seems like his dad is a coach too

If true, I like those qualities as they seem like the ingredients for success when cured over time

I still believe we're going to experience some growing pains that will cost them games, I just can't believe he can pop into the league so quickly and expect to compete with DC's that have been in the league for decades

Top Bottom