Redskins Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You can connect your computer to your tv with an HDMI cable, don't be a fake fan!
Or just sling that shit. Get with teh 21st century, 2233hotboyz.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Or just sling that shit. Get with teh 21st century, 2233hotboyz.
Sounds like you dabble in the black arts, I'm out.

Cotton

Staff member
[h=1]Cowboys vs. Redskins: Early intrigue, x-factors and the strength of the rivalry[/h]

By Jon Machota and Ben Standig 2h ago

The Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins face off Sunday. We paired up Jon Machota (Cowboys) and Ben Standig (Redskins) to discuss their respective teams, the matchup and what you should look for.

Jon: Hey, Ben. The Redskins defense did a great job shutting down Ezekiel Elliott last year at FedExField. Is stopping Elliott still their top priority, or do you think that changed with how the Cowboys threw the ball around last week against the Giants?

Ben: The NFL is a week-to-week sport. By that, I mean that while there’s always some level of game planning, getting your own house in order comes first. After last week’s defensive collapse at Philadelphia, the Redskins need some legitimate tidying. They generated zero pass rush against the Eagles, allowed the Philly offense to convert 11 of 17 third-down attempts, and were consistently on the wrong end of successful deep passes to DeSean Jackson. In the process, Washington lost stud defensive lineman Jonathan Allen to a knee sprain that I’m guessing keeps him off the field Sunday. In fact, 40 percent of their available defensive line options might come from two guys signed off the street since declaring the original 53-man roster.

Here’s the kicker: The defense is the strength of this team. Nobody should panic and extrapolate Week 1 over the remainder of the season, but this unit had better improve against Dallas or 0-2 looms. As for stopping Elliott, that should remain the primary goal. Potential X-factors with defending Elliott come from the aggressive and lurking presence of ex-Giant safety Landon Collins and the speed of summer surprise Cole Holcomb, an inside linebacker out of North Carolina selected in the fifth round. The Redskins have the power-packed Daron Payne anchoring the line, but Allen’s absence would hurt. The secondary is also a bit beat up. Putting Dallas in obvious passing downs means go time for pass rushers Ryan Kerrigan, Matt Ioannidis and rookie Montez Sweat following last week’s stuck-in-the-mud performance.

This being the NFL, I’d expect a better performance from this unit, of course. For the sake of the frustrated fan base and Jay Gruden’s peace of mind, that would be helpful.

I’m tempted to ask about Zeke’s return after holding out or Dak Prescott’s development or Jason Witten, but I’m intrigued by Michael Gallup. For years, Dallas struggled at the second receiver slot. How scary is this kid?

Jon: It’s almost as if Gallup improves a little every time we see him. His best game last season was the playoff loss to the Los Angeles Rams. He had six catches for 128 yards. That’s when I really started believing they had a true No. 2. The addition of Amari Cooper mid-season helped Gallup’s growth. Cooper became the unquestioned No. 1 and took some pressure off the rookie.

Gallup was then really good throughout the offseason and training camp. He and Dak Prescott just seemed to continue building rapport naturally. They had chemistry early last season but struggled at times to connect on deep balls. It’s something they’ve been working on, and last Sunday they were on the same page. Gallup caught all seven of his targets from Prescott in Week 1 for a career-high 158 yards.

It’s kind of wild how much things have changed in the passing game since Dallas traveled to FedExField last year in Week 7. The Cowboys’ top four receivers in that game were Gallup, Allen Hurns, Cole Beasley and Geoff Swaim. Gallup is the only one still on the team. Since then, the Cowboys traded for Cooper, signed Randall Cobb, Jason Witten returned and tight end Blake Jarwin has emerged.

In regards to Prescott’s development, he looked significantly better this offseason. He was solid in previous OTAs and minicamps, but he was excellent this year, never throwing an interception. What he does best seems like a perfect fit for the type of offense first-year offensive coordinator Kellen Moore likes to run: more uptempo, more RPOs. I think the addition of quarterbacks coach Jon Kitna has been very beneficial. They’ve worked on Prescott’s mechanics, particularly his footwork, and I think it has improved his accuracy. His leadership style, work ethic and intangibles continue to be off the charts. Prescott’s contract is the biggest topic of discussion down here, and he handles the speculation effortlessly, to the point that I don’t think it will be a significant distraction for him even if it doesn’t get done until after the season.

The biggest unknown for the Cowboys going into this game is probably Case Keenum. What’s your scouting report on him? How does the current offense compare to what it did with Alex Smith under center?

Ben: The main difference with Keenum is his gunslinger approach. We all know about Smith’s reputation for being rather conservative, a reputation he earned. In Week 1, Keenum showed he’ll take shots. Maybe that’s too simplistic of an answer, but the passing offense looked far more dangerous in the first half against Philadelphia than at any point I can recall from last year. Receivers weren’t just open but open in space. Keenum connected with rookie Terry McLaurin for a 69-yard touchdown and they almost got another one, but the pass just missed. Washington primarily used three-receiver sets, a look that could remain a staple if tight end Jordan Reed (concussion) does not make his debut in Week 2. Having McLaurin and Paul Richardson on the field challenges the defense with speed threats, and this quarterback showed he’ll go for it. Somewhat surprisingly, the Trent Williams-less offensive line largely gave Keenum time to throw.

Perhaps the biggest change in Week 1 relative to 2018 involved Washington disguising its approach. Using Derrius Guice and Chris Thompson in the backfield forced the Philadelphia defense to consider the run as well as the pass. The Redskins were far more predictable with Adrian Peterson in games last year. That’s an aspect lost in the drama surrounding Gruden making Peterson inactive last week. With Guice likely out after suffering a knee injury, look for Peterson’s resurrection. We’ll see how this affects the play-calling and, in turn, Keenum’s performance.

I bet everyone down there is surprised to see Ereck Flowers on the field for another NFC East team, or in anyone’s starting lineup after his rough time playing tackle for the Giants. The massive human did a passable job against Philadelphia, but the left side of the line remains a concern. How do you see Dallas attacking that weakness?

Jon: That will be an interesting matchup this week because Dallas typically starts Tyrone Crawford at right end. However, he’s been dealing with a hip issue all offseason. He didn’t practice on Wednesday and was limited on Thursday. I think he’ll still end up starting on Sunday, but what they do behind him will likely be a committee approach. Dorance Armstrong, a fourth-round pick last year, will likely be the next man up. Rookie Joe Jackson should get some reps there, too. Crawford played 30 defensive snaps in Week 1. Armstrong played 29 snaps, and Jackson played 26. But the most interesting storyline could involve Taco Charlton. The 2017 first-round pick was inactive last week after having a pretty good training camp and preseason. He hasn’t lived up to expectations and the Cowboys may find a trade partner for him in the near future. But if Crawford needs more rest, it certainly would make sense to at least have Charlton active and ready to rush the passer if needed.

The Cowboys should be good at right defensive end after Week 2 when Robert Quinn returns from his two-game suspension for violating the NFL’s performance-enhancing substances policy. DeMarcus Lawrence is Dallas’ dominant pass rusher, but he works only at left DE. They won’t move him to the right side even if it’s a really favorable matchup.

The interior of the line is anchored by starting defensive tackles Maliek Collins and Antwaun Woods. Collins, who plays the three-technique spot, is the better pass rusher of the two. Woods is better against the run. Collins had an outstanding training camp. With Lawrence working his way back from offseason shoulder surgery, Collins was Dallas’ best defensive lineman during camp and the preseason.

I wanted to ask you about the head coaches. How safe do you think Jay Gruden’s job is at the moment? Many Cowboys fans would be thrilled if Jerry Jones hired a new head coach at the end of the season. What is the opinion of Garrett in your part of the country?

Ben: Gruden is tricky. Logically, he should be worried. This is his sixth season and Washington reached the playoffs just once (2015). That’s plenty of patience. The Redskins watched Sean McVay go from offensive coordinator to NFC champion head coach. Now the new OC, Kevin O’Connell, is considered a future head coach. Will the organization let another young mind escape?

Then again, Gruden’s teams typically finish around .500 — look at the last 20 years before mocking — and that includes the last two seasons with oodles of injuries and quarterback changes. This campaign starts with Williams, the team’s seven-time Pro Bowl left tackle, holding out. One week in, Gruden is dealing with injuries to his top defensive lineman (Allen), tight end (Jordan Reed) and Week 1 starting running back (Guice). There’s some sense benching Peterson may be part of a bigger angle, that if Gruden is going out, it will be on his terms.

It’s possible that beyond a postseason trip, the determination of Gruden’s future may come down to the development of quarterback Dwayne Haskins. Washington spent the 15th overall selection in the 2019 NFL Draft on the Ohio State passer with a big arm and local ties from his prep school days. Haskins will eventually enter the lineup unless Washington gets the 2017 Vikings Case Keenum. When he does, his development becomes the main storyline, especially for a head coach known for his offensive mind.

As for Garrett, I think most of us would be surprised he’s survived this long if not for Gruden’s longevity. I think the sense that Jerry just loves the guy diminishes Garrett’s actual ability. Then again, I’m one of those people who keep waiting for Jerry to make a move. Imagine an offseason where Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones both need a new head coach.

This game has ample intrigue because it’s Washington’s home opener, there is fear of an 0-2 start, Peterson’s return and the season still has that new car smell. But as for the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry, eh. Their buzz isn’t close to those historic moments. What about down there?

Jon: It’s funny, you say that. I’ve been in Dallas covering the Cowboys since 2011, and I was recently thinking about how I’ve never felt much of a serious rivalry between the Cowboys and Redskins since I’ve lived here. The closest was probably during Robert Griffin III’s rookie year in 2012.

The recent rivalries with the Cowboys have kind of followed the quarterback position. Dallas’ biggest rival when Tony Romo was the franchise QB was Eli Manning and the Giants. That has now shifted to Dak Prescott and the Cowboys vs. Carson Wentz and the Eagles. The two being part of the same draft class has lined that one up perfectly. Right now, the majority of Cowboys fans would say their biggest rival is the Eagles.

But I think a lot of that could depend on the success of Dwayne Haskins and Daniel Jones. The NFC East is set up to potentially have quality quarterback play across the board for the foreseeable future. But like most sports rivalries, they’re only really interesting if both teams are good. When the Cowboys and Redskins both get back to competing for Super Bowls, the rivalry will return.

2233boys

Not So New Member
You can connect your computer to your tv with an HDMI cable, don't be a fake fan!
My wife and I got haxored last year. I don't even open our computer at home anymore. Likely illogical, because I had it cleaned but still.

They moved all of our money to our checking account and tried to start spending it.
Added themselves to our credit cards
Forwarded our mail
Forwarded our phone calls.

It was a mess.

They didn't get anything but those streaming sites are sketchy with a lot of pop ups and stuff. Just got off of our credit freezes, nice thing is though since we had a fraud alert in every system, you can't get any money without giving up our first born. :)

Cotton

Staff member
I don't know what that is :unsure
Well, I guess I can't help you if you are planning to just stay willfully ignorant of the technologies afforded you. Mnuttzy is right. You really are a fake fan. Disgusting, tbh.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Film room: 3 key matchups to watch in Cowboys-Redskins, including a CB who Michael Gallup can take advantage of

By John Owning

9:00 AM on Sep 13, 2019
It's going to be tough to top last week, but the Dallas Cowboys once again enter Sunday's contest against a division foe as the betting favorites, which is notable since they are on the road against a Washington Redskins team that split the season series with Dallas last year.

Just like the New York Giants last week, Washington will likely be without some of its most important contributors, including DL Jonathan Allen, who was a nuisance for the Cowboys OL in last year's matchups, and RB Derrius Guice. The Cowboys, on the other hand, enter Sunday's game relatively healthy, as Tavon Austin (concussion) appears to be the only Week 1 contributor who could miss Week 2's contest.

In a matchup where both teams should be very familiar with the other's personnel, the Cowboys should have the gift of unpredictability on their side on account of new offensive coordinator Kellen Moore. Washington only has one game to study in terms of Moore's play-calling style and tendencies, which isn't enough of a sample size to glean much actionable information. Therefore, Washington won't be able to tune its defense to Dallas' tendencies as much as the Dallas defense can with Washington's offense.

Nevertheless, all the schematic advantages in the world don't matter if the players don't execute their assignments given their individual matchups. Having said that, let's take a look at a few key matchups that could turn the tide of this contest in either team's favor:

RT La'el Collins vs OLB Ryan Kerrigan

Coming off what was potentially his best performance as a pro, La'el Collins will be pitted against his biggest nemesis in recent years - Washington's Ryan Kerrigan, who has three straight seasons with 10+ sacks and has finished five of his last six matchups against Dallas with at least 0.5 sacks.

Collins was outstanding in Week 1, as he was a road-grader in the run game and almost flawless in pass protection. Collins was particularly dominant against Giants defensive end Markus Golden, who has a double-digit sack season of his own under his belt, as Collins displaced the defender with ease in the run game while stymying him in pass protection with a myriad of techniques.

One of the more notable aspects of Collins' stellar day was the diversity his hand technique tool kit. While Collins did land his powerful two-hand punch throughout the contest, he also displayed an impressive snatch and trap, which Collins uses to counter pass rushers who have a heavy forward lean.

Furthermore, Collins displayed an incredibly impressive bait technique (above clip) that appears to be a new addition to his repertoire. With this technique, Collins shows his hands high as a means of drawing out the pass rusher's hands. As soon as the defender attempts his strike, Collins quickly re-fits his hands, using a double under technique, and lifts to counter the defender's force, inhibiting the defender's momentum.

Still, despite Collins looking much improved against New York, he also displayed a couple of the bad habits that could get him beaten by a player of Kerrigan's caliber.

When committing to his two-hand punch, Collins has a bad habit of ducking his head and getting his weight over his toes, which Kerrigan has taken advantage of before (above clip). When he lands, it's often a devastating impact on the defender that distorts the pass rusher's line to the QB. However, when he doesn't land cleanly, it leaves Collins off-balance, making it difficult for him to counter a pass rusher's move or recover if beaten.

Kerrigan is one of the most powerful and refined pass rushers in the entire NFL, so you can bet he will test the anchor and newly diverse hand technique of Collins. For the Cowboys right tackle to win this matchup - something that hasn't happened often in recent years - he must be even more accurate with his strikes and mindful about his balance in pass protection than he was last week in a stellar performance.

If Collins can keep Kerrigan under wraps, it should afford Prescott a lot of time in the pocket, as Dallas should have the advantage with the rest of the matchups up front, especially with Allen, who recorded two sacks against the Cowboys last year, out because of injury.

Cowboys defense vs RB Chris Thompson

Even with Guice out, he probably won't be the primary back -- those duties will likely go to Adrian Peterson -- but make no mistake about it, Chris Thompson is the most dangerous playmaker in the Washington backfield.

Against the Eagles, Thompson only had three carries for 10 yards but added seven catches for 68 yards as a weapon out of the backfield.

On run plays, Washington attempts to get Thompson to the edge, where he can use his athleticism and slipperiness to elude defenders and create big plays. It will be important for the Cowboys' defensive ends to remained disciplined and set a strong edge as a means to funnel Thompson back into the teeth of the Cowboys defense.

Nevertheless, Thompson is most potent when used as a receiver out of the backfield, as he's extremely tough for a linebacker to manage. Washington loves to create situations where Thompson is one-on-one against an LB in coverage, as his quickness out of breaks is usually enough to create separation from the slower-footed linebackers.

Washington will also look to get Thompson involved heavily in the screen game, where having blockers in front only makes Thompson's athleticism and elusiveness even more dangerous.

Luckily for the Cowboys, on paper, they have the perfect personnel to counter a player with Thompson's skill set. Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch are the rare breeds of linebackers who have great size to go with outstanding athleticism, which means they should be better positioned than most to keep Thompson quiet in the run and pass games.

Unfortunately for Dallas, both Smith and Vander Esch (but especially Smith) had a slow start to the season, as both had trouble curtailing Saquon Barkley. Luckily for them, Thompson is nowhere near as talented or effective as Barkley, so Smith and Vander Esch should be up for the task.

Moreover, don't be surprised if the Cowboys move to their dime package (four defensive linemen, one linebacker and six defensive backs) on third downs as a means to bring Jourdan Lewis on the field to defend Thompson one-on-one - similar to what Dallas did to slow down Alvin Kamara last year.

Overall, against an offense that's not exactly dripping with talent, it will be extremely important to slow down Washington's most explosive weapon - Chris Thompson. If the Cowboys can keep him under wraps, it will be tough for Washington to put points on the board consistently Sunday.

WR Michael Gallup vs Washington's No. 2 CB

Last year, Washington opted against having Josh Norman travel with Dallas' No. 1 receiver in both matchups; however, against Philadelphia last week, Norman often traveled with Alshon Jeffery, which opens up the possibility that he may do the same this week with Cooper.

Therefore, if Norman travels with Cooper, that leaves Quinton Dunbar matched up with Michael Gallup. Nevertheless, even if Norman doesn't travel with Cooper, Gallup - who lined up as the left outside receiver on 31 of his 53 snaps in Week 1 - will still see a large share of snaps against Dunbar, who typically lines on the right side of the defense (left for the offense) when not forced to follow the opposing team's No. 2 receiver.

This matchup sets up nicely for the Cowboys, as Gallup finished with seven catches for 158 yards in Week 1 while Dunbar gave up six catches for 74 yards.

Expect Gallup to take advantage of Dunbar at the top of his routes, as Gallup should be able to manipulate the Washington CB with his nuanced stems and great set-ups at the breakpoint. Dunbar typically plays with outside leverage, so don't be surprised if Gallup uses body lean and varied footwork to get Dunbar to bite on a potential in-breaking route before breaking outside to create a throwing window for Prescott - similar to DeSean Jackson in the above clip.

Given Dunbar's size (6-foot-2 and 202 pounds), he struggles when forced to change direction or flip his hips. Moreover, Dunbar's propensity to play over the top of receivers to limit the big play leaves him susceptible to stop routes, which Dallas loves to use Gallup on.

On Thursday, Dunbar did not participate in practice, bringing into question his availability for the game. If Dunbar misses the game, Gallup will still be in a favorable matchup, as Washington's other cornerbacks Fabian Moreau and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie can be exploited by Gallup's route-running, physicality and toughness at the catch point.

Moreover, Gallup is going to give the Washington defensive backs' tackling ability a true test, as he displayed impressive strength to fight through tackle attempts in Week 1.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member