Schefter: Cowboys Extend Jaylon Smith

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I have a general understanding of NFL contract language. That's why I said it's standard NFL business for players to get cut early. Which is why I have no problem with players trying to get their money sooner rather than later while they still have some leverage.

I just take exception to the idea that a player is disloyal for holding out for a new contract. Especially when it's clear as day that there's very little loyalty in the NFL when it comes to the business side of the house.

I get it.....as fans obviously we all want what's best for the team. It's why we're all brainwashed into siding with management during these contract disputes. But I choose to look at it from the players perspective.

1bigfan13

Staff member
The example you listed by the way was initiated by the owner not the player and that’s the way it should be.
Yeah, that was the point of me listing the example. To highlight how owners/organizations move on from players all the time even though they have multiple years remaining on their contract.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dak's out there playing. It doesn't upset me if the man wants to bet on himself to play even better this year.

Zeke on the other hand has played 2 full seasons in the NFL and is basically refusing to be with the team. I'd be lying if I said that doesn't rub me the wrong way. It should rub everyone the wrong way.
Dak is about to get a Brinks truck dumped on his front lawn and owes everything to Zeke. Dak’s deal is all but guaranteed, and he’s not even close to being the best player at his position.

Zeke is arguably the leagues best player at his very impactful position, but he could be cut by the team for all he knows based on how they treated Murray.

When you dive beyond the surface these two are in about as different of positions as they could be in

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah, that was the point of me listing the example. To highlight how owners/organizations move on from players all the time even though they have multiple years remaining on their contract.
Well that's how it is in business. Businesses have goals and objectives that are to be met and employees are one of the resources that is needed to meet those goals and objectives. Everyone has to contribute according to expectations or they will be replaced. Did you not have this same system in the military? I rather think you did at least that was the way things were when I was in.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have a general understanding of NFL contract language. That's why I said it's standard NFL business for players to get cut early. Which is why I have no problem with players trying to get their money sooner rather than later while they still have some leverage.

I just take exception to the idea that a player is disloyal for holding out for a new contract. Especially when it's clear as day that there's very little loyalty in the NFL when it comes to the business side of the house.

I get it.....as fans obviously we all want what's best for the team. It's why we're all brainwashed into siding with management during these contract disputes. But I choose to look at it from the players perspective.
Players choosing not to live up to their contract is Prima Facia disloyalty. Its one of the dictionary terms among others if you agree to something for a price then later refuse to do what you said you would that is being disloyal and dishonest. A contract is a formal agreement and it was breached by Elliot. there is no breach from the owner.

And as to players getting “their” money early, it isn’t their money yet.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So from 1991 through 1992 Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, and Jay Novacek were all epicly disloyal.

That’s all business and nothing to do with loyalty on the field.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So from 1991 through 1992 Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, and Jay Novacek were all epicly disloyal.

That’s all business and nothing to do with loyalty on the field.
You can’t say that just because you want to. Tell me what they would have done had they not gotten their request. Also they were in the final year of their contract but that doesn’t justify anything it was the norm. But again I ask you would any of them have stayed on if the organization refused to meet their demands and I’ll tell you I think they would have walked. Now what is the term for that.

people just don’t like to hear the term as a label but give me a more correct definition for it and I will use that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
You might call it a breach. A players loyalty will always be to himself first. As it should be.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You might call it a breach. A players loyalty will always be to himself first. As it should be.
Agree up to a point but most of the time they get what they want but when they don’t their loyalty is with them selves and the prior organization is moved to the rear view mirror. It’s and observation not a judgement.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
NFL “contracts” are barely agreements and very one-sided.

There is no other league to compete with, and the players union is a joke breakable by scab players wearing the same laundry.

Unions have no interest in the special needs of the RB position, especially at the top of the stack. They carved out a deal that’s amazing for owners, pass rushers, WRs, CBS, and QBs.

Everyone else has to look out for their own interests, especially RBs who can make such an impact.

Zeke had had no choice but to sign his deal, and promptly got abused by an unimaginative front office and coaching staff.

IMO he needed to hold out 10 times out of 10.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Is Devin Smith the Cowboys' next Jaylon Smith?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
NFL “contracts” are barely agreements and very one-sided.

There is no other league to compete with, and the players union is a joke breakable by scab players wearing the same laundry.

Unions have no interest in the special needs of the RB position, especially at the top of the stack. They carved out a deal that’s amazing for owners, pass rushers, WRs, CBS, and QBs.

Everyone else has to look out for their own interests, especially RBs who can make such an impact.

Zeke had had no choice but to sign his deal, and promptly got abused by an unimaginative front office and coaching staff.

IMO he needed to hold out 10 times out of 10.
But only another team in the same downtrodden system is his only choice so what will it be? A multimillionaire with this team or a multimillionaire with another. Damn what a shame he doesn’t have other choices.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Um, anyone think Jaylon is living up to his hype, and moreover, the new contract?

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Um, anyone think Jaylon is living up to his hype, and moreover, the new contract?
I think the poor play of the DL is affecting the linebackers. But not so far to answer your question.

p1_

DCC 4Life
And did you notice the increase in PT for Joe Thomas?

1bigfan13

Staff member
Absolutely not. Most people are focused on DeMarcus Lawrence's lack of production but Smith's play has been underwhelming as well.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I posted in the chatter thread for either the slurs or the Giants that he was walking funny between plays, almost avoiding the knee again. I think I saw someone else mention for the Miami game, too.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Top Bottom