Schefter: Cowboys Extend Jaylon Smith

p1_

DCC 4Life

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Great speed shown on that play and all but that was terrible tackling technique.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great speed shown on that play and all but that was terrible tackling technique.
Yeah but I sort of understand it there. He has to hit him high to prevent him from falling forward for a yard or two. And he has to go for the knockout shot to prevent the same thing.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

data

Forbes #1
One of my favorite stories. Props, Jaylon. Amidst all the “NFL is a bizness”, controversial penalties, national anthem and Goodell suspensions bullshit, Jaylon Smith is a great story - a needed story - that touches on why I love football.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of my favorite stories. Props, Jaylon. Amidst all the “NFL is a bizness”, controversial penalties, national anthem and Goodell suspensions bullshit, Jaylon Smith is a great story - a needed story - that touches on why I love football.
It helps that he is an amazing human as well.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah but I sort of understand it there. He has to hit him high to prevent him from falling forward for a yard or two. And he has to go for the knockout shot to prevent the same thing.
You can wrap up and still hit someone high.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Gurley's contract looks like a mistake. I don't know that besting his numbers would make any NFL owner feel good. And Gurley was an NFL offensive player of the year.
Gurley has had knee issues for multiple years now. That's why his contract looks bad now. Zeke on the other hand has been the picture of perfect healthy. Plus he has the advantage of being the centerpiece of the Cowboys offense. I've pointed this out before.....Dak's limitations as a passer strengthen Zeke's leverage during these negotiations.

The only thing I worry about with Zeke is the off the field antics. Those concerns could be mitigated with contract language that allows the team to void portions of his contract should he violate the NFL's personal conduct policy. I believe that's not that uncommon these days; especially with repeat offenders.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I don't think Elliott is being especially ridiculous, common sense dictates that he should be paid marginally more than Gurley, somewhere around 14.5-15 AAV. Given the nature of the position and his performance so far I don't think asking for that type of contract is out of line, it'd be smarter if he was in camp and not holding out while attempting to get the deal, but hey. As far as Prescott goes, squabbling over 35/year vs. 32/year is just ego and likely greed being driven by his agents.
You are right but don't like 80% of NFL players decalre bankruptcy eventually. Granted we haven't heard of many of the folks that come and go in the churn but there are tons of high profiles go that go bust (Owens, Brunell, Sapp, etc)

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'm hoping Jaylon set an example for both Dak and Zeke with this deal. Hopefully, they follow suit.
Sorry but if I'm a RB there's no way in hell I'm taking a team friendly deal because in all likelihood you'll only get one shot at a big contract in your NFL career.

As for Dak, hell yeah he needs to leave money on the table because it's been proven that he needs to be surrounded by Pro Bowl level talent to function. Plus good QBs typically see 3 or 4 sizable contracts throughout their career.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry but if I'm a RB there's no way in hell I'm taking a team friendly deal because in all likelihood you'll only get one shot at a big contract in your NFL career.

As for Dak, hell yeah he needs to leave money on the table because it's been proven that he needs to be surrounded by Pro Bowl level talent to function. Plus good QBs typically see 3 or 4 sizable contracts throughout their career.
Dak's out there playing. It doesn't upset me if the man wants to bet on himself to play even better this year.

Zeke on the other hand has played 2 full seasons in the NFL and is basically refusing to be with the team. I'd be lying if I said that doesn't rub me the wrong way. It should rub everyone the wrong way.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dak's out there playing. It doesn't upset me if the man wants to bet on himself to play even better this year.

Zeke on the other hand has played 2 full seasons in the NFL and is basically refusing to be with the team. I'd be lying if I said that doesn't rub me the wrong way. It should rub everyone the wrong way.
Yep. Zeke,s attitude is what first of all puts me in a slow burn. Primarily though his willingness to hold out while under contract gets my dander up quickly. He apparently has an attitude that he doesn’t value his commitment to an obligation. What would he think if Jones suddenly took a position that he decided to pay Zeke less because he needed the money elsewhere yet expected him to honor his commitment to play his best. It’s essentially the same thing. The circumstance of a window of opportunity isn’t a valid reason to go back on your obligations. It’s extortion.

1bigfan13

Staff member
What would he think if Jones suddenly took a position that he decided to pay Zeke less because he needed the money elsewhere yet expected him to honor his commitment to play his best.
You do realize that happens all the time in the NFL, right?

Organizations restructure deals and cut players quite frequently whenever the players level of play doesn't match the salary.

Our very own Tavon Austin still had 4 years $36 million owed to him by the Rams but because he wasn't performing well he was made to make a decision on being cut outright or taking a lesser deal.....one year $5 million.

That's standard NFL business. Yet you always want to play the "honor your obligations/loyalty" card :lol

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Organizations restructure deals and cut players quite frequently whenever the players level of play doesn't match the salary.

Our very own Tavon Austin still had 4 years $36 million owed to him by the Rams but because he wasn't performing well he was made to make a decision on being cut outright or taking a lesser deal.....one year $5 million.

That's standard NFL business. Yet you always want to play the "honor your obligations/loyalty" card :lol
What will happen when Mayfield gets that treatment?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

It doesn’t happen all that often when a player has two years left on his contract. It’s an occasional thing and it seems that you have a problem with me thinking individuals should honor their contracts. The example you listed by the way was initiated by the owner not the player and that’s the way it should be. Zeke was a player last time I looked.

GShock

DCC 4Life
It doesn’t happen all that often when a player has two years left on his contract. It’s an occasional thing and it seems that you have a problem with me thinking individuals should honor their contracts. The example you listed by the way was initiated by the owner not the player and that’s the way it should be. Zeke was a player last time I looked.
:ez

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Not only that, it's literally written into just about every contract that the team can cut the player and not have to pay the non-guaranteed portion anymore. There's nothing disloyal about it and it isn't derelict in responsibility. It's part of the agreement.

And that's the way it should be. The team isn't trying to screw players it is trying to win. If the player and/or contract isn't helping that goal, the team should be obligated to move on.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not only that, it's literally written into just about every contract that the team can cut the player and not have to pay the non-guaranteed portion anymore. There's nothing disloyal about it and it isn't derelict in responsibility. It's part of the agreement.

And that's the way it should be. The team isn't trying to screw players it is trying to win. If the player and/or contract isn't helping that goal, the team should be obligated to move on.
Tell that to 1BigFan.

Top Bottom