Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a great deal, given how contracts are being handed out I'd say fair value for him would be about 15/year, maybe slightly less because Deion Jones got about 14.5. A shade under 13 is excellent value for sure.

What Stephen has to get through his head though is that every deal doesn't have to be a value deal. They tagged Lawrence, played the year out, bullshitted with him for several more months, tagged him again, things got contentious and eventually they gave him a fair market deal.

If you can get it, great, but if a guy is willing to take a fair market deal (15 for Zeke is fair), it might not be ideal, but for a truly elite player it's better to just get it over with instead of a doing a whole dog and pony show before eventually paying it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by mschmidt64 View Post
      I saw 5 years, $64m, $35m guaranteed.

That would be $12.8m per year.
      That is not terrible. Actually reasonable in comparison to what guys like Alec Ogletree and Kwon Alexander are getting paid.

Comment

So what's next? Go ahead and sign Zeke and let Dak play out his contract?
        No way I'm paying Dak what he's asking for. To me the best route is to make him play this year under contract and see what he can do with a roster that's pretty well loaded. If he can at least get us to a conference title game and look like a contender, I'd consider paying up.

Comment

This is exactly what some of us have been saying. Top 5 money but not trying to squeeze every fucking dollar out of it.

Comment

Jones will think long and hard about Zeke because it not just a matter of paying players, it is how it might make him look for a player to control him.
            Since Day One

Comment

Originally posted by Simpleton View Post
              a whole dog and pony show
              We are talking about the Dallas Cowboys you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post
                This is exactly what some of us have been saying. Top 5 money but not trying to squeeze every fucking dollar out of it.
                Yeah, but agents are looking for the big money deals that sound good on the surface and a lot of the players are also interested in perceived status.

Many times these players aren't all that intelligent about these deals and specifically money.

If the difference is a couple of million dollars on a contract, then they are really kind of dumb.

When there is a player that is halfway intelligent and knows how to handle money, they can take a deal that is below market value.

Often you see dummies who think about nothing but dollar signs and the fake status that comes with a contract.

Smith sounds like he gets it, and not just because he took what is considered a "team-friendly" deal.

He could have made a serious case to be paid among the top 5 MLBers in the league. But he got the deal done in a week and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by boozeman View Post
                  Smith sounds like he gets it, and not just because he took what is considered a "team-friendly" deal.

He could have made a serious case to be paid among the top 5 MLBers in the league. But he got the deal done in a week and a half.
                  The 105.3 local radio guys called this exact scenario last week, they were talking about how sharp Jaylon is about business and wouldn't be surprised to see him goto Jerry and get his deal done before the big 3 in the coming days
                  2018 DCC Super Bowl Bingo Champion

Comment

Originally posted by jsmith6919 View Post

The 105.3 local radio guys called this exact scenario last week, they were talking about how sharp Jaylon is about business and wouldn't be surprised to see him goto Jerry and get his deal done before the big 3 in the coming days
                    Smith seems like he has perspective and his shit squared away.

If that means he is a sucker for taking a team-friendly deal, so be it.

Honestly, most of these dumb asses wouldn't know how to handle a million dollars, let alone millions more.

The agent is going to fight for his own image, what he got. But if a player can't use common sense and realize he can make enough money in one decent contract to set himself and his family up for life, that is on them and their own ego.

Comment

Well deserved. Was a massive, massive gamble at the time (one that I went ballistic on in the forum I was, couldn't believe we took that kind of risk then)

That said, he's always been an awesome kid to root for and he has busted his ass to re-make himself into a great football player. Glad he is locked up long term.

Comment

Originally posted by boozeman View Post

Yeah, but agents are looking for the big money deals that sound good on the surface and a lot of the players are also interested in perceived status.

Many times these players aren't all that intelligent about these deals and specifically money.

If the difference is a couple of million dollars on a contract, then they are really kind of dumb.

When there is a player that is halfway intelligent and knows how to handle money, they can take a deal that is below market value.

Often you see dummies who think about nothing but dollar signs and the fake status that comes with a contract.

A couple million is a shiftload for the players. They could be injured in a second and never play again. Most have no other skills and didn't really get an education. I would claw and scrape for every cent - especially guaranteed money. Shelf life of an NFL RB is pretty short. Look at guy like Gurley. Seems like he has a chronic knee issue. Suspect its degenerative. That contract he got will be an anchor on that team if he can't stay healthy.

News flash, investing in a bell cow running back in today's NFL is probably pretty stupid. It's a quarterback driven league...

Comment

So I guess the nerve has regenerated. He's come a long way since the knee brace and getting abused by Todd Gurley on pass patterns.

Comment

Originally posted by lostxn View Post

A couple million is a shiftload for the players. They could be injured in a second and never play again. Most have no other skills and didn't really get an education. I would claw and scrape for every cent - especially guaranteed money. Shelf life of an NFL RB is pretty short. Look at guy like Gurley. Seems like he has a chronic knee issue. Suspect its degenerative. That contract he got will be an anchor on that team if he can't stay healthy.

News flash, investing in a bell cow running back in today's NFL is probably pretty stupid. It's a quarterback driven league...
                            Fortunately for said players, despite having no other skills and no education, if they can squirrel away even tiny fractions of percents of what they were paid, they will have all the money they ever need to go to college once they’ve frittered away their football careers.

You really have to be a bonehead to come out of a lucrative NFL career with nothing to show for it. They give you a hefty pension for chrissakes.

They have program after program for saving for retirement, transitioning after retirement, continuing education, all the benefits the Union could ever ask for. Not to mention they will be pseudo celebs for life who will have stuff thrown into their laps just for the sake of association. You think James Washington or Tony Tolbert or Kevin Gogan can’t get ahead on name recognition in Dallas? Come on.

Comment

I don't think Elliott is being especially ridiculous, common sense dictates that he should be paid marginally more than Gurley, somewhere around 14.5-15 AAV. Given the nature of the position and his performance so far I don't think asking for that type of contract is out of line, it'd be smarter if he was in camp and not holding out while attempting to get the deal, but hey. As far as Prescott goes, squabbling over 35/year vs. 32/year is just ego and likely greed being driven by his agents.

Comment

Originally posted by Simpleton View Post
                                I don't think Elliott is being especially ridiculous, common sense dictates that he should be paid marginally more than Gurley, somewhere around 14.5-15 AAV. Given the nature of the position and his performance so far I don't think asking for that type of contract is out of line, it'd be smarter if he was in camp and not holding out while attempting to get the deal, but hey. As far as Prescott goes, squabbling over 35/year vs. 32/year is just ego and likely greed being driven by his agents.
                                Gurley's contract looks like a mistake. I don't know that besting his numbers would make any NFL owner feel good. And Gurley was an NFL offensive player of the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X