2019 Preseason Week 1 Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys at 49ers| 08/10/19

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is this a serious question?

The first preseason game is almost always mostly for the guys who won't be around past cuts.
It's usually for guys fighting for a roster spot. Not dudes that you have zero desire to keep around.

So yes when you have 3 RBs battling for a roster spot it makes little sense to play the guy who has no chance instead.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your position seems silly to me.

This is what it's come to now.

We are bitching because our scrubs played extensively in the first preseason game.

As if it mattered one god damn that we didn't score a TD.

Bill Parcells used to get fucking shut out in the preseason, didn't he?

WHO CARES?????

Maybe Tony Pollard doesn't need 12 carries in the first preseason game.
I don't care if we won or lost. But since when did it become crazy to actually play rookies in preseason so they can get adjusted, learn and be ready for the regular season. Your position is silly, under that assumption Garrett might as well show up and play no one and forfeit the game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's usually for guys fighting for a roster spot. Not dudes that you have zero desire to keep around.

So yes when you have 3 RBs battling for a roster spot it makes little sense to play the guy who has no chance instead.
The first preseason game is absolutely mostly about bottom of the roster guys. Starters usually barely play if at all. Top backups usually get a couple series' and then they are also out. The majority of the game is for low-end second stringers, third stringers, and beyond. That is why "first preseason games" are usually so boring. They are almost entirely devoid of the usual NFL caliber talent.

And Weber and Jackson are not "guys we have zero desire to keep around." In fact we most likely are trying to choose which of them to keep around. Chunn probably doesn't stick, but again, the precedent is for lots of first cut guys like him to see the majority of the work in the first preseason game.

Pollard has probably shown enough in camp that he's already made the team and that he doesn't need a ton of reps running behind our shitty backup OL. Pollard is not a high-workload guy, never has been. What's the sense in giving him 15 preseason carries and taking away work from the guys we really need to see? And in the FIRST preseason game?

It's not a game you are trying to win. Or even score, necessarily. You are trying to call things and see players in certain circumstances. Not prove that you're the better team or that you have the better backups.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't care if we won or lost. But since when did it become crazy to actually play rookies in preseason so they can get adjusted, learn and be ready for the regular season. Your position is silly, under that assumption Garrett might as well show up and play no one and forfeit the game.
Uh, we did play rookies. We just didn't give Pollard a ton of time. The potential reasons why are numerous.

And there are more preseason games to come too.

There's literally no reason to worry that a handful of extra carries that went to Chunn instead of Weber or Pollard are somehow negatively effecting the team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And Weber and Jackson are not "guys we have zero desire to keep around." In fact we most likely are trying to choose which of them to keep around. Chunn probably doesn't stick, but again, the precedent is for lots of first cut guys like him to see the majority of the work in the first preseason game.
So what is gained from playing Chunn? He has no chance of making the roster. What again is the point of playing him? Because there is a whole lot of reason to play Pollard, Jackson and Weber despite what your 16 paragraph posts say.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There are 90 something players on this roster right now. If we're only playing guys who are going to make the roster, then 40 of them aren't playing in the preseason. That's the most insane concept I've ever heard. They literally go out and get a ton of undrafted free agents every offseason, most of whom have a near-zero chance of making the roster, or even the practice squad.

And you know what you do in the preseason? You play them. So they can show you what they have.

A guy like Pollard neither needs 15 carries to get warm for the regular season (especially when it's only the first preseason game), nor is he in any real competition for a roster spot or role given that he's stood out in training camp so far.

Weber, Jackson, and Chunn are the ones in competition for the final spots, and trust me, we will see plenty of them in games 2-4.

:lol what is gained by playing Chunn. What is gained by playing Jameil Showers? Tyvis Powell? Shakir Soto? Jake Campos? Justin Phillips? Nate Hall?

You are analyzing the 40+ bottom of the roster guys.

Chunn actually got less snaps than Weber and Jackson both did. So this is a dumb thing to complain about. As if this isn't a situation that's replicated literally everywhere else in the league.

Wait, you're right. Preseason game #1 is all about getting work in for the backups. That's the only objective here. Might as well cut the other guys right now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are 90 something players on this roster right now. If we're only playing guys who are going to make the roster, then 40 of them aren't playing in the preseason.
Now you're being intentionally dense. There is a difference between guys who will make the roster and those who have no shot. You have 2 to 3 guys battling for a roster spot and experience. But instead of playing them lots you give a dude who has no shot at making the roster the majority of the snaps.The only person that makes sense to is you. And yes there are plenty of guys on the roster of other teams that never see a preseason game. They are essentially there to help with numbers at practice. Taryn Christian didn't play for example for us.

Again, what is gained by playing Chunn? The answer is nothing.

What could be gained from playing Pollard, Jackson and Weber more? A lot. Especially since all of them won't be on the roster come the start of the season. So I don't know, maybe you can actually evaluate the guys in a real NFL scenario?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Now you're being intentionally dense.
And you aren't.

There is a difference between guys who will make the roster and those who have no shot. You have 2 to 3 guys battling for a roster spot and experience.
And I ask again, what is to be gained from playing Jameil Showers? Tyvis Powell? Shakir Soto? Jake Campos? Justin Phillips? Nate Hall? Why latch onto Chunn specifically? None of these guys are going to make the roster and all got similar snap counts to Chunn.

But instead of playing them lots you give a dude who has no shot at making the roster the majority of the snaps.The only person that makes sense to is you.
Literally every team in the league plays third and fourth string guys with next to no chance to make the roster for similar snap counts. Especially in preseason game 1.

You are off the deep end insane on this take.

Teams want to analyze and give work to their bottom of the roster guys to see what they have. Again, they don't need to analyze Pollard a ton; his spot is safe. You can argue whether it should be or not, but it is. And no, he does not stand to gain a lot by getting 15-20 carries in the preseason. He will get enough work in as it gets closer to the regular season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And you aren't.

And I ask again, what is to be gained from playing Jameil Showers? Tyvis Powell? Shakir Soto? Jake Campos? Justin Phillips? Nate Hall? Why latch onto Chunn specifically? None of these guys are going to make the roster and all got similar snap counts to Chunn.
I mention Chunn specifically because I would have liked to see more of Pollard, Jackson and Weber. So that maybe the coaches could actually have a real idea about the RB position.

If it makes you feel better I think putting Jameil Showers in the game instead of playing Donovan Wilson or Darian Thompson really foolish as well. Again, Showers should never play in a regular season NFL game his entire life. Those other two guys are young, unproven and have legit shots of making the roster.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I mention Chunn specifically because I would have liked to see more of Pollard, Jackson and Weber. So that maybe the coaches could actually have a real idea about the RB position.
You summed up your entire argument there, we can put this to bed.

YOU would have liked to see more of Pollard, Jackson and Weber.

Sorry that Chunn didn't entertain you. But he actually got less overall snaps than both Jackson and Weber.

I'd submit that the coaches of this team, and every other team that plays players during the preesason who have zero chance of making the team, are pretty well aware of what they are doing and why they are doing it.

If it makes you feel better I think putting Jameil Showers in the game instead of playing Donovan Wilson or Darian Thompson really foolish as well. Again, Showers should never play in a regular season NFL game his entire life. Those other two guys are young, unproven and have legit shots of making the roster.
And the other names I named? It's foolish to play them all too? What about the Patriots playing their scrubs? Is it foolish when they do it?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The 49ers gave literally all their carries to running backs not in the top 5 spots on their depth charts.

Brandon Wilds was signed earlier in the week and Austin Wilds was signed after a tryout like in May. Neither of these guys is going to make their roster.

Idiots!

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And are these stats on NFL.com right? Chunn had two carries??

That is what we're complaining about???

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You two argue like an old married couple. Can you give the board a break and just be the bigger person and ignore?

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You two argue like an old married couple. Can you give the board a break and just be the bigger person and ignore?
Yeah it's not even worth arguing about. Shit just would have liked to see more Pollard.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I wish Pollard had gotten more carries

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Unless I am mistaken, they are both lawyers. Figure it out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, Jerry says that is all he needed. He is fit to carry the load.
Would have appreciated some passes to him as well. But I guess we have to keep our special weapon a super secret. Well except when Jerry, Garrett and Stephen want to brag that he is the second coming of Kamara.

Top Bottom