2019 Training Camp Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
That's a throw that Troy Aikman made in his sleep. And it was almost ALWAYS a dart the WR could catch in stride. Thrown
so hard that rarely could a DB make a play on that throw.

That said, great grab by Gallup. He appears to be a potential gem for us for a long time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crawford doesn't suck at DE, he just isn't anything more than average edge rusher. He's pretty good against the run. As someone else alluded to he is probably not playing RDE much more than 50% anyway, especially once Quinn is back.

That said, I'm not sure its a 100% lock Crawford makes the team.
He has to be one of the slowest REs in the NFL. He just doesn't have the speed to catch a RB or QB if they want to run around the edge. It's just ugly.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Crawford is very good against the run and does a nice job on stunts/twists rushing the passer. He's never going to be asked to speed rush off the edge on 3rd and 8, so while I don't love the salary he's making for the kind of player he is and I'm looking forward to replacing him with some youth like Joe Jackson and Dorance Armstrong, I can acknowledge that he's generally a good player who executes his role well. He's nothing special but he's certainly not a Jeff Heath-level starter.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What happened to Jarwin and Dalton Schultz? I noticed they DNP vs the Rams the other night too.
Jarwin made a lot of plays against San Fran. I'm guessing they were messing with rotations. Or those guys played with White who was so god awful no one could do anything.

The good news is it sounds like that game was Whites tryout, he failed and they may be demoting him to fourth string.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crawford is very good against the run and does a nice job on stunts/twists rushing the passer. He's never going to be asked to speed rush off the edge on 3rd and 8, so while I don't love the salary he's making for the kind of player he is and I'm looking forward to replacing him with some youth like Joe Jackson and Dorance Armstrong, I can acknowledge that he's generally a good player who executes his role well. He's nothing special but he's certainly not a Jeff Heath-level starter.
As a DT I agree with you. But at RE I think his lack of athletic ability is a liability. He brings almost nothing as a pass rusher from that position. He can run stunts like you mentioned but those leave tou vulnerable around the edge. I honestly can't wait for the day the Cowboys move on. But until he is off the roster the Cowboys will always try to put him on the field because of leadership.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He's barely used as a DE in nickel/dime though, last year it was almost always Lawrence/Gregory and this year it'll be Lawrence/Quinn and maybe even Gregory at some point if he's reinstated. Like I said, ultimately at his salary he's a luxury we can't afford with the contracts coming down the pipe, but he's still very good at certain things and generally he isn't asked to do what he can't do, namely speed rush off the edge. Sure, when he's in at DE on 1st/2nd and teams pass it isn't ideal, but it's not the end of the world either necessarily, the end of the world would be if we relied on him to edge rush in nickel/dime.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm normally highly skeptical of camp WRs, but I'm starting to come around on Smith. Helps that he has a pedigree, but still.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I'm normally highly skeptical of camp WRs, but I'm starting to come around on Smith. Helps that he has a pedigree, but still.
yeah, I want to be optimistic about him. When you've blown out the same ligament twice, its hard to be so sure he can stay upright. But he looks better than the UDFAs and probably Cedric. And it looks like Tavon and that jackass "blocking wideout" Brown have roster spots. So the bottom of the corps is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom