2019 Training Camp Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He was no Champ Bailey but he was far from a scrub. Newman was pulling in 4 or 5 INTs a year.

You'd have major BISP if one our CBs from the last 5 years created turnovers like T-New.
Yeah, Newman was a pretty decent DB. Most of the fan discontent with him was that he shouldn’t have been drafted as high as he was and that he was older than most rookies. That created a built in hate for him and he was never oblectively judged as a player but constantly compared with what they thought a #1 pick should be.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Newman was certainly better than the next Deion Sanders, who they traded up for.

This team was in shambles back then though, really freaky to look back at how god awful they were at personnel from Jimmy to Bill.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Newman was certainly better than the next Deion Sanders, who they traded up for.

This team was in shambles back then though, really freaky to look back at how god awful they were at personnel from Jimmy to Bill.

Who was in charge of personnel between Jimmy and Bill? It wasn't "they" -- it was Jerry. That's when he was going through his first "gotta prove I'm a football guy" phase.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He was no Champ Bailey but he was far from a scrub. Newman was pulling in 4 or 5 INTs a year.

You'd have major BISP if one our CBs from the last 5 years created turnovers like T-New.
Newman definitely took more flack due to his draft position and who they took him over, but unfortunately that’s a factor.

But for his career you could do worse.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I thought overall Newman had a really good career. Wasn't an int machine, but he was very effective in coverage.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought overall Newman had a really good career. Wasn't an int machine, but he was very effective in coverage.
No he was better than I thought when we drafted him. Certainly had a longer career than I thought. But when you take a defender that high you want a game changer, which he never was.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Just checked up on Juan Thornhill. No cramps. Still practicing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Lee stays healthy, that's a pretty sweet LB'ing corps.
Well, they are saying Lee will play on Special Teams this year because of a lack of snaps at SOLB.

So, I guess that "healthy" part will last, oh a kickoff or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom