PFT: Ezekiel Elliott has privately said that he’s planning a training-camp*holdout

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Elliott's agent definitely seems like a self-aggrandizing dickhead. He's pretty young I believe, combine that with being a relatively obscure agent who doesn't have many big name clients and this is what you get, a guy trying to make a name for himself. With that said, when it looked like Elliott might be suspended for a game or two I really wasn't concerned, if anything I was mostly curious to see what Dak would look like over a few games without him. If that comes to pass due to this bullshit rather than a suspension, so be it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
What good is he if he won’t play? He isn’t cute enough to be a cheerleader. If he keeps up his current demands he may as well be traded because I am not sure Jones will pay him what he is holding out for.
it depends upon how long this goes on. if he truly carries this into the regular season, then Id consider it.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I loved that comment by Jerry, as much of a bumbling jackass as he may be, he has earned the right. Zeke has been in and out of trouble since he's been in the league. Derailed a season because he may or may not have slapped his woman around. He's been a pain in the ass, granted his play on the field makes it at least a wash when it comes to if he's worth the headache.

I'm on record, I would trade him. You can find another running back, maybe Pollard is the guy, but you don't have to bend to Zeke's demands. I think you trade him and move forward. I'd hate to use the rational that most people do, mostly because this franchise isn't even in the same realm, but does anyone think New England wouldn't have shipped this guy off for a pick already?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I loved that comment by Jerry, as much of a bumbling jackass as he may be, he has earned the right. Zeke has been in and out of trouble since he's been in the league. Derailed a season because he may or may not have slapped his woman around. He's been a pain in the ass, granted his play on the field makes it at least a wash when it comes to if he's worth the headache.

I'm on record, I would trade him. You can find another running back, maybe Pollard is the guy, but you don't have to bend to Zeke's demands. I think you trade him and move forward. I'd hate to use the rational that most people do, mostly because this franchise isn't even in the same realm, but does anyone think New England wouldn't have shipped this guy off for a pick already?
Just what I have been saying.
:towel

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think you trade him and move forward.
I think he has more value to the Cowboys than any other team.

What team would take him in exchange for anything decent?

Most teams have a guy. Some like Detroit (maybe), Green Bay, Houston, Indianapolis, Miami and Tampa Bay are some of the few that might be remotely interested.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree that he has more value to us, especially right now since we should be a Super Bowl contender and it's likely that some of the depth we've built up will be leaving in the next year or so as the big extensions start setting in. Not to mention the All-Pro/possible future HOF OL that we have will be in their prime for the next 3-4 years, which lines up exactly with Elliott's prime, when we're looking to move on from Elliott in ~4 years we'll also be looking to move on from guys like Smith/Frederick/Martin and the composition of the roster will be completely reshaped. Like, I wouldn't be willing to trade him for the 24th pick in the draft, but how many teams are there willing to give up more than a 1st?

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I think he has more value to the Cowboys than any other team.

What team would take him in exchange for anything decent?

Most teams have a guy. Some like Detroit (maybe), Green Bay, Houston, Indianapolis, Miami and Tampa Bay are some of the few that might be remotely interested.
His value is relative, not absolute. At some point he becomes more of an ass and less of an asset. I don't know which team would call first, but I know his value is what it is at the point you decide it's all too much to handle.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Ultimately the only question that matters is; what type of contract are you willing to give Elliott? Are you willing to give him marginally more than Gurley, something like 4 years, 58-60 million with let's say 40 guaranteed? In my mind if you're willing to give him 14 a year, why would you not go to 15 if that seals the deal?

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Ultimately the only question that matters is; what type of contract are you willing to give Elliott? Are you willing to give him marginally more than Gurley, something like 4 years, 58-60 million with let's say 40 guaranteed? In my mind if you're willing to give him 14 a year, why would you not go to 15 if that seals the deal?
Kinda makes you wonder if they really wanted to extend the guy in the first place. They probably knew this was going to happen.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yep, and if that is indeed the case then they're even bigger morons than expected. If you have this institutional fear of paying RB's why draft one in the top 5? Why make public comments about how you have so much already budgeted for his extension and how the negotiations start at Gurley? It's mind-boggling either way honestly.

• Props
Reactions: Rev

p1_

DCC 4Life
its hard to imagine $4M over the contract, or 1M per year, being a point of contention.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It is hard to imagine but these guys seem hell-bent on not giving him more than Gurley for whatever dumbassed reason. Basing these negotiations on what Bell got is pretty idiotic considering Bell got that deal after literally sitting out a season.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I'm sure it's been said before on this thread, and I'm just as fed up with Zeke as anyone. But wouldn't trading him all but crush our chances of a big season? Dak can't win without Zeke. Unless the higher ups think we can do it with Pollard, I see no logic risking it. This is a really good roster, and this may be our only shot for a while.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I'm sure it's been said before on this thread, and I'm just as fed up with Zeke as anyone. But wouldn't trading him all but crush our chances of a big season? Dak can't win without Zeke. Unless the higher ups think we can do it with Pollard, I see no logic risking it. This is a really good roster, and this may be our only shot for a while.
I think people only want to consider that scenario IF Zeke holds out indefinitely. The season might be done anyway if he does.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you'd go to 15 then why not 16? Don't you sort of have to draw a line at some point?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is hard to imagine but these guys seem hell-bent on not giving him more than Gurley for whatever dumbassed reason. Basing these negotiations on what Bell got is pretty idiotic considering Bell got that deal after literally sitting out a season.
Bell's contract is more recent and it's a true market value since he actually was a free agent. So I wouldn't call it silly. The funny thing is the next highest RB contract after those two and David Johnson is a massive dropoff.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Sure you have to draw a line, at 15, it makes him the highest paid back in the league but it's only marginally more than what Gurley got. To me using what Gurley got as a baseline makes much more sense than what Bell got, namely because Bell sat out a season prior to getting that deal, but also because Gurley got it 3 years in whereas Bell got his 5 years in, 6 if you include the holdout season. Bell is already 27 whereas Gurley was 24, just like Elliott.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And yea, no shit there's a massive drop off after those guys, it's because they're the best backs in the league. You can be damn sure that McCaffrey and Barkley are going to get deals in the teens as well, Barkley's deal in particular will eclipse whatever Elliott gets. That's what you pay for an elite talent, and Elliott is arguably the elite of the elite.

p1_

DCC 4Life
And yea, no shit there's a massive drop off after those guys, it's because they're the best backs in the league. You can be damn sure that McCaffrey and Barkley are going to get deals in the teens as well, Barkley's deal in particular will eclipse whatever Elliott gets. That's what you pay for an elite talent, and Elliott is arguably the elite of the elite.
And Elliott knows whatever he gets will be eclipsed very soon by the likes of the Barkleys and McCaffreys.

Top Bottom