PFT: Ezekiel Elliott has privately said that he’s planning a training-camp*holdout

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Uhh, no. Our window is too small for that. Get the deals done.
The only reason our window is small is because of the looming cap disaster brought on by potential massive Zeke and Dak extensions.

We are a a pretty young team, and the backbone pieces on the DL are young enough to be a long term strength. The OL pieces have probably reached the midpoint or after (Martin and Frederick about halfway through, Tyron a little more), but if we keep getting guys like Connor Williams and McGovern in the mid rounds it will extend that shelf life.

And we have two good young wide receivers in Cooper and Gallup.

Theoretically speaking if we were to trade Zeke and Dak for assets that we used to select a QB high in the first next year, and that QB was a Goff/Wentz type, and then selected a RB in the second or third, we could use the savings on re-signing our LBs, Malik Collins and Byron Jones, etc, and probably be a division competing team every year for the foreseeable future.

Of course this is best case scenario. But F it, there are risks with signing Dak and Zeke too.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Good thing we have a competent General Manager to balance the legitimately competing interests here.

And remember, regardless of what happens, even if it all comes crashing down into the worst possible case scenario, I mean truly terrible, like we don't make a NFC championship game (much less Super Bowl) for something absurd, like a quarter century - literally the worst sustained performance in franchise history, Jerry's profits will continue to grow exponentially.

data

Forbes #1
Jerruh, write that down on a napkin, pass it to Dak and git ‘er dun for $30M.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Theoretically speaking if we were to trade Zeke and Dak for assets that we used to select a QB high in the first next year, and that QB was a Goff/Wentz type, and then selected a RB in the second or third, we could use the savings on re-signing our LBs, Malik Collins and Byron Jones, etc, and probably be a division competing team every year for the foreseeable future.
Probably easier to dump Zeke and draft a RB next year. It's easier than rolling the dice on a rookie QB. And RBs aren't that hard to find.

Of course if you don't think Dak has what it takes to ever get a team to the Super Bowl keeping him around will just keep you that much further from Tua Tagovailoa. I wouldn't want to mess with more questionable QB prospects like Herbert.

And oh yeah, Garrett has to go in this process. You can't have him trying to develop your QB.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Just wondering....
Smith and Frederick were extended before their contracts were up, right? Other than Zeke having two years left and crying about money, what's the difference?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just wondering....
Smith and Frederick were extended before their contracts were up, right? Other than Zeke having two years left and crying about money, what's the difference?
They both took discounted deals. Zeke wants a deal that is more than any other RB in the NFL. That's the biggest difference. I see no problem with redoing a players contract 2 years early. But in doing so the team should get a discount on the player. Just as the player should be willing to do a discount because they are getting their money essentially 2 years early.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Smith and Frederick both were signed to extensions in the August leading up to their 4th season, so it's almost identical, but they weren't holding out. I think most of the problem is on the Cowboys' end, they have sticker shock and are afraid of paying a RB, but when you take a RB in the top 5 and they live up to being the generational player you expected, you get over yourself and pay him, otherwise you just look like a bunch of near-sighted morons. I'm basing this on the assumption that Elliott wants $15 AAV, which is what's generally been reported, and is completely fair.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Frederick's deal wasn't discounted, it made him the highest paid center in the league at the time I believe. Smith definitely took a discounted deal but the front office is being obtuse and delusional if they expect that to be the norm.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Smith and Frederick both were signed to extensions in the August leading up to their 4th season, so it's almost identical, but they weren't holding out. I think most of the problem is on the Cowboys' end, they have sticker shock and are afraid of paying a RB, but when you take a RB in the top 5 and they live up to being the generational player you expected, you get over yourself and pay him, otherwise you just look like a bunch of near-sighted morons. I'm basing this on the assumption that Elliott wants $15 AAV, which is what's generally been reported, and is completely fair.
Frankly the other portion of it is those guys had no off the field issues. Zeke has already been suspended once and can't seem to keep his face off cameras doing stupid shit. No one wants to sign a guy who is going to go out and get suspended again. And Zeke is far closer to that then either of those lineman.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You're right but they're also seemingly willing to pay him more than Bell got, which I'd assume is roughly 13.5-14 AAV, what the hell is the difference if you throw another 1-1.5 million per year on there? In the grand scheme it's basically nothing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're right but they're also seemingly willing to pay him more than Bell got, which I'd assume is roughly 13.5-14 AAV, what the hell is the difference if you throw another 1-1.5 million per year on there? In the grand scheme it's basically nothing.
I guess you could just make a special exception for Zeke. But if you go around giving everyone an extra mil a year just to make negotiations easier you're going to end up with far less cap flexibility than other teams. In the scale of just one deal who cares about 2 mil a year. But if Zeke takes an extra couple, Dak takes a some extra, Cooper takes some extra. And suddenly now you're playing with far less cap room than competitors.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Frankly the other portion of it is those guys had no off the field issues. Zeke has already been suspended once and can't seem to keep his face off cameras doing stupid shit. No one wants to sign a guy who is going to go out and get suspended again. And Zeke is far closer to that then either of those lineman.
To be fair it was a suspension that shouldnt have happened. Don't think you should hold him accountable for a witch hunt.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree that you can't just go around throwing out a million here and there willy nilly, but ultimately 15 AAV is fair for Elliott given what is customary in the market. This isn't a case of just paying your guy more than whatever the last guy got for no reason, when you have an absolutely elite player and it comes time to extend them, you know the negotiations start at whatever the biggest current deal is. They're being obtuse and cutting off their nose to spite their face if they insist on Elliott taking less than Gurley. I suspect it's a negotiating ploy though and ultimately I think we'll see an extension for roughly 14.75 AAV in about 10 days or so.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be fair it was a suspension that shouldnt have happened. Don't think you should hold him accountable for a witch hunt.
No but does it matter? The strike is against him in the leagues eyes. Zeke has no idea how to keep himself out of the spotlight with stupid shit. It's like a man found guilty of a crime he didn't committ. The justice system is going to hold it against him forever no matter what.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree that you can't just go around throwing out a million here and there willy nilly, but ultimately 15 AAV is fair for Elliott given what is customary in the market. This isn't a case of just paying your guy more than whatever the last guy got for no reason, when you have an absolutely elite player and it comes time to extend them
The problem is that time hasn't come yet. He has two years left. Besides why should the Cowboys rush now?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They paid Smith and Frederick at this time though so it's not completely out of the question for them to do so. I personally want them to extend him now because I've long held the belief that it's better to extend a RB earlier so that way the contract is expiring when they're 28 rather than 30.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
No but does it matter? The strike is against him in the leagues eyes. Zeke has no idea how to keep himself out of the spotlight with stupid shit. It's like a man found guilty of a crime he didn't committ. The justice system is going to hold it against him forever no matter what.
So that makes it right?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So that makes it right?
No on a personal level it doesn't make it right. But from a business aspect it's a bigger risk. I guess it's the difference between winning games or being a good person. I lean towards winning football games when it comes to the Cowboys. But I guess they could sacrifice some of that for doing the right thing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They paid Smith and Frederick at this time though so it's not completely out of the question for them to do so. I personally want them to extend him now because I've long held the belief that it's better to extend a RB earlier so that way the contract is expiring when they're 28 rather than 30.
In all fairness the Cowboys approached Smith about the extension. Totally different scenario than what has happened with Zeke. And frankly the Cowboys have given Zeke an offer. It's not like the Cowboys are refusing to extend Zeke. They would love to extend him. But clearly both sides disagree with what that contract should look like.

It sort of has the feel of the difference between a child throwing a fit for the toy he wants and a kid behaving and a parent giving that child the toy as a surprise.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Seems like this topic has taken a 180 turn than was the early sentiment about Zeke. Its gone from a cannot live without him, pay the money to a lets roll him up and ship him out. That's where I started.

Top Bottom