PFT: Ezekiel Elliott has privately said that he’s planning a training-camp*holdout

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not clear about whether the new contract starts for Zeke this season or next. Also whether the non attendance fines were waived. Anyone have input?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
with Gurley's current knee probs ....
Yeah I mean health is the best argument. I'm not sure how much Gurley has left before he falls apart. Zeke at least hasn't shown those signs. Of course he is a year behind Gurley in NFL years.

p1_

DCC 4Life

One for LT :towel

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

If I am Dallas, I just IR Gifford. I don't think he will be playing for a while. The second choice would be Morris so his salary is not guaranteed.

p1_

DCC 4Life
who gets cut? Morris? Chunn?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
who gets cut? Morris? Chunn?
Chunn was the last in, but I think they might want him on STs. Morris makes sense so you don't have to guarantee his salary. They love him for whatever reason, but I don't see what the point of keeping him is since he is just a designated backup and nothing else. He just takes up a roster spot and keeps Pollard from touches.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Did we win this negotiation on any front? He wanted to be the highest paid, we wanted to pay Bell money. Zeke won on every front.
I think the length is a win for the team. Maybe a big win. AAV is 15 mil, guarantees are 50 mil, but the cap hit looks like it's 12.5 mil. That's not a bad cap hit considering, and it comes in part from the length of the deal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the length is a win for the team. Maybe a big win. AAV is 15 mil, guarantees are 50 mil, but the cap hit looks like it's 12.5 mil. That's not a bad cap hit considering, and it comes in part from the length of the deal.
The length becomes a problem though if he gets hurt. You've spread a massive bonus over 6 years. If you cut him after 3 or 4 you'll have a big bill to pay against the cap.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
If the FO was going to bend over and take it, why did they ever allow this holdout to distract the team all the way through camp?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
If the FO was going to bend over and take it, why did they ever allow this holdout to distract the team all the way through camp?
This is why I laughed when analysts said Jerry had all the leverage. Was there ever any doubt that he'd cave? They now have zero excuses not to go 3-0 out of the shoot.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My guess is Zeke was asking for more than 15 originally. But who knows. Jerry may have just been playing chicken and lost.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The length becomes a problem though if he gets hurt. You've spread a massive bonus over 6 years. If you cut him after 3 or 4 you'll have a big bill to pay against the cap.
He's pretty durable and with modern medicine I'm more concerned if he becomes ineffective. Even that I don't think is a large risk considering he'd be 32 at the end of the deal. Plus I'm sure it's structured in a way that gives them a viable out in the back half.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's pretty durable and with modern medicine I'm more concerned if he becomes ineffective. Even that I don't think is a large risk considering he'd be 32 at the end of the deal. Plus I'm sure it's structured in a way that gives them a viable out in the back half.
I mean the good news is we supposedly protected ourselves from him getting suspended again but RBs are so unpredictable in terms of durability over the course of many years. No one has any idea if he will burn out at 27 but it takes a really rare back to still be really good at 32. I read this little portion earlier today:

The deal has $50 million guaranteed, which surpasses Todd Gurley’s $45 million as the most for an NFL running back.

The deal seems really friendly for Zeke, but Jerry Jones is no fool.

In one of the clauses of the contract, if Zeke were to get suspended or have another off-the-field incident, most of his guaranteed money would void, according to Ustadium.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In one of the clauses of the contract, if Zeke were to get suspended or have another off-the-field incident, most of his guaranteed money would void, according to Ustadium

If this is correct it would short stop a lot of my concerns

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
I can't blame Jerry on this one. Zeke made it a curcus. Jaylon, Collins, Dak and Cooper aren't a circus.
I don't see how anyone can call that a circus. The guy wanted more money and to be paid accordingly, so he held out till he got it. He never said anything bad about the organization or his teammates. Never said anything bad about the front office.

The media turned it into a circus.

Top Bottom