20 Questions - How Much Money On Brett Maher?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
20 Questions | 2019

Monday, Jul 08, 2019 03:00 PM 13) How Much Money On Brett Maher?

DallasCowboys.com

FRISCO, Texas – It’s safe to say we’ll be paying attention to the kickers this summer.

For so many years the position was a foregone conclusion. Yes, the Cowboys would always bring in a kicker to help spell Dan Bailey, but that precious roster spot was always a lock.

Until it wasn’t.

We know how that story played out. Brett Maher had a sensational preseason, prompting the Cowboys’ stunning decision to release Bailey last summer. And Maher justified the decision, nailing 16 consecutive kicks during the first half of the season.

The back stretch saw highs and lows. Maher had some amazing moments, hitting multiple game winners, not to mention long kicks from as far as 62 yards out. He also struggled from close ranger, with multiple misses from inside 40 yards and a missed extra point.

Which begs the question, which Brett Maher are the Cowboys getting in 2019?

Rob Phillips: Every NFL kicker probably acknowledges this truth about the job: You’re only good as your last kick. Maher’s leg strength is a major asset. Last season he tied the Jets’ Jason Myers, and a Cowboys franchise record set by Dan Bailey, for most field goals of at least 50 yards (6 of 7 attempts). That said, his kicks between 40 and 49 yards are most critical. He tied for 11th in the league from that distance (7 of 11) and finished 25th in total field goal percentage among qualified kickers (29 of 36, 80.6 percent). The Cowboys believe Maher will improve on his first season in the league. It’ll come down to consistency on those ‘money’ kicks.

Lindsay Draper: One of the most bizarre experiences in my six seasons with the Cowboys was when the club decided to move on from Dan Bailey. I think some of the media team is still trying to wrap their brains around it. We weren’t paying much attention, then he was gone. Things are different with Maher – he’s got so much attention on him, and his shortcomings are much different than Bailey’s were. This team is known for being in tight games that come down to the wire, and Maher tends to miss the short, seemingly routine kicks. That makes me a bit nervous going into the season.

Bryan Broaddus: Nothing can derail the fortunes of a team more than having a kicker that the coaches or players have no confidence in. Look what happened to the Chicago Bears last season in the playoffs. A division winner was knocked out of the playoffs by a shaky kicking situation. As confident as I am in Brett Maher making kicks from long distance, I am just as nervous about those from a short distance. The one thing I appreciated about Dan Bailey was his ability to consistently make kicks no matter where they put the ball down. The one thing we all know about the Jason Garrett Era is that this team plays in plenty of tight games. There have been games where it’s come down to a made or missed field goal, so having that confidence in your kicker is an absolute must. If I’m honest, there is a side of me that still has doubt.

David Helman: I know there are a lot of people out there who don’t completely trust Brett Maher. I don’t think the Cowboys’ coaches are among those people. The whole reason they picked Maher over Dan Bailey was because of his mental toughness and his confident attitude. Despite his shortcomings, I don’t think their confidence has wavered. That’s not to say Maher will definitely keep his job. He still needs to perform. But I guess I think his leash is longer, so to speak, than a lot of people seem to believe.
---------------

It still blows my mind that they didn't bring in legitimate competition for this guy.

He was very unreliable going down the stretch last year. And all they do is sign some schlub that doubles as a punter in this Kasey Redfern dude.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It still blows my mind that they didn't bring in legitimate competition for this guy.

He was very unreliable going down the stretch last year. And all they do is sign some schlub that doubles as a punter in this Kasey Redfern dude.
I think they're more concerned with Chris Jones, who had a pretty average year by his standards.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think they're more concerned with Chris Jones, who had a pretty average year by his standards.
And this Redfern guy does not address that either.

To be honest, Dallas' special teams overall are pretty bad.

Bisaccia was very good and covered up a lot. Keith O'Quinn is not even in his league.

It wouldn't shock me at all if poor STs costs us a game or two this year.

Maher will fuck up eventually and when he does, they better be prepared to get rid of him quickly. The last thing any team needs is like what Chicago and Minnesota have gone through in recent years. We have been overconfident and spoiled with Bailey and to a lesser degree, Nick Folk for a period. Do we really want shit like Mike Vanderjagt and Jose Cortez again?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Maher was fine, he hit 2 game winners from 38 and 42 on the last plays of the game and didn't really directly cost us a game with any terrible short missed FG's or XP's, or some kind of ridiculous 1/4 type of game. His worst miss of the year was what, the 50+ yarder that went off the post against the Skins on a windy day after a bullshit penalty? If the guy struggles mightily he should be replaced immediately, he doesn't deserve any sort of season-long type of rope, but he was more or less fine last year.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Maher was fine, he hit 2 game winners from 38 and 42 on the last plays of the game and didn't really directly cost us a game with any terrible short missed FG's or XP's, or some kind of ridiculous 1/4 type of game. His worst miss of the year was what, the 50+ yarder that went off the post against the Skins on a windy day after a bullshit penalty? If the guy struggles mightily he should be replaced immediately, he doesn't deserve any sort of season-long type of rope, but he was more or less fine last year.
he had the dreaded missed PAT.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Pretty much every kicker in the league missed at least one, if not two XP's last year. A handful even missed 3-4, it happens. All I know is that if you guaranteed me that our kicker would only miss 1 XP, win two games on last second kicks, never miss two kicks (XP and FG's combined) in any single game, make 6/7 from 50+, and pretty much only cost us one game with a miss (a 50+ yarder in not great conditions), I'd take that every single time. It probably wouldn't be elite but it's good enough mainly because it mostly rules out the possibility that our kicking game will be a disaster.

Top Bottom