Rather than extend Dak Prescott, Pro Football Focus argues it may be better for Cowboys' future to cut bait

p1_

DCC 4Life
After leading the Cowboys to a 32-16 record in his first three seasons as the starting quarterback, Dak Prescott is due for a big payday.

As he approaches the final year of his rookie contract, the pressure on the Cowboys to offer him an extension grew when NFC East rival Philadelphia gave quarterback Carson Wentz a four-year, $128 million extension of his own.

When speaking with media members in May, Prescott said he wanted "to be a Cowboy forever."

But how much will the Cowboys break the bank to lock down their soon-to-be 26-year-old quarterback?

According to some Pro Football Focus writers, the Cowboys shouldn't be so fast to give Prescott a record-setting deal.

"If it were us, it would be a tough sell to keep Dak for anywhere near the top end of the quarterback market. Prescott was a top-10 player at the position when everything went right in 2016. Some things improved on the surface in 2018, allowing them to reclaim the division title. However, a deeper look shows a .500 team propped up by a pretty good defense and solid support around a profoundly average quarterback," PFF's Eric Eager and George Chahrouri wrote.

"While it would be difficult to cut bait on one of the better stories at the position in recent seasons, it is likely the best decision for the 'Boys to make."

Prescott threw for a career-high 3,885 yards last season and 22 touchdowns. However, those marks ranked 15th and 16th respectively among NFL quarterbacks last season, according to Pro Football Reference.

Pro Football Focus also used numbers of its own to back up the argument that Dallas should consider not giving Prescott an extension.

"In the most predictive aspect of quarterback play, the ability to avoid throws graded negatively by us at PFF, Prescott was 25th among qualifying quarterbacks a season ago," Eager and Chahrouri wrote. "He was an average passer from a clean pocket (18th in PFF grade), despite an average depth of target below 7.5 yards -- a full yard lower than in his rookie season of 2016. All of this led the Dallas signal-caller to earn only the 19th-best wins above replacement among all players at the position in 2018."

However, SportsDay's Jon Machota recently wrote that Prescott has put together his best offseason yet.

From Machota in early June: "If what Dak Prescott has displayed over the last four weeks is any indication of the season he's about to have, the Cowboys quarterback is setting up for a career year. This has been Prescott's best offseason since becoming the franchise's starting quarterback in 2016.

"During the six practices open to reporters, Prescott has been more accurate and decisive while also avoiding turnovers. All great signs for a player entering the final year of his rookie contract, looking for a new long-term deal that would likely make him the highest-paid player in franchise history."

Pro Football Focus also points out that by extending Prescott, it may hurt the Cowboys' ability to bring back a pair of their top defensive contributors.

"[Byron] Jones, [Jaylon] Smith and [Leighton] Vander Esch all cover extremely well, doing the most valuable thing for a defense that is now one of the league's best," Eager and Chahrouri wrote. "Jones and Smith are free agents in 2020, and the choice to extend Dak might lead to the jettisoning of one or both of these defensive stalwarts."

Still, SportsDay's Kevin Sherrington says Prescott's durability is underrated and that he should get an extension in the neighborhood of $30 million per year.

From Sherrington: "Of all the abilities a quarterback may possess, availability is underrated. Dak hasn't missed a game in three years, and it's not like he's been hiding. ... Wentz is 23-17, and his own teammates have raised the question at least once of whether they preferred him or his former backup, Nick Foles. Considering Wentz's case, it's no wonder that Jerry and Stephen Jones have made it clear that Dak's going to get paid, and soon. My guess is it'll be at least $30 million a year."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
"[Byron] Jones, [Jaylon] Smith and [Leighton] Vander Esch all cover extremely well, doing the most valuable thing for a defense that is now one of the league's best," Eager and Chahrouri wrote. "Jones and Smith are free agents in 2020, and the choice to extend Dak might lead to the jettisoning of one or both of these defensive stalwarts."
I don't get the hysteria about losing these three guys. One, Jones is not what I would consider irreplaceable. As for the LBers, Seattle was able to keep their set even after paying Russell Wilson twice.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I mean, Pro Football Focus is completely full of shit, so there's that. But aside from that, I'd argue that you kind of have to ignore Dak's pre-Amari performance and focus more on what he did post-Amari. Without Amari we had quite literally a bottom 3-5 WR corps with a rookie as our best non-slot threat, it's not a coincidence that everything took off simply by adding a very good, but not truly elite top 5 type of WR. And yea, there should be no worries about re-signing Smith or LVE, and Jones should be let go anyway.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't get the hysteria about losing these three guys. One, Jones is not what I would consider irreplaceable. As for the LBers, Seattle was able to keep their set even after paying Russell Wilson twice.
Jaylon Smith will be a restricted free agent in 2020. His contract tolled as a result of missing a season of football. So yeah, they don't even know what the hell they are talking about. And shit we have Vander Esche for another 4 seasons before we have to give him an extension.

Shit, it's like these people think the second a player has a good season that they are getting paid by someone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean, Pro Football Focus is completely full of shit, so there's that. But aside from that, I'd argue that you kind of have to ignore Dak's pre-Amari performance and focus more on what he did post-Amari. Without Amari we had quite literally a bottom 3-5 WR corps with a rookie as our best non-slot threat, it's not a coincidence that everything took off simply by adding a very good, but not truly elite top 5 type of WR. And yea, there should be no worries about re-signing Smith or LVE, and Jones should be let go anyway.
Pro Football Focus can be interesting at times but sometimes they just make up statistics and then spit them out like they have meaning. You're basically compounding subjectivity with more subjectivity with a lot of there stuff. Especially when talking about a QB. What's a clean pocket for example. Or a throw that grades poorly. They then compound that subjectivity by making up a subjective formula that combines all of those stats. And what you really have is a pile of garbage at the end. And they claim that their formula is a strong predictor of wins but clearly it's not in the case of Prescott considering he has never had a losing record and has one of the all time best win/loss records for a QB in their first 3 seasons.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yeah there aren't a ton of Dak apologists around here but nobody is advocating moving on. For one thing, our backups are total shit. I certainly don't like the FA alternatives. Dak is the guy and we need to pay him. Should we try to upgrade? Sure but we need to look to the draft. The real hope is that Dak simply improves. Romo got better every year he played until his body gave up. So should Dak.

p1_

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Is Dak Prescott Lack Of Big Time Throws Legit Reason For Cowboys To Not Pay Him?[/h]

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Agreed. Pre-trade he was probably way worse than 19th below replacement.

Afterwards he was probably significantly better.

Still would be nice to get a deal in our favor for once.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
How offensive do these negotiations get between teams/agents/players?

Does a player like Dak hear any hard truths coming from the Dallas front office? Does Stephen or whoever explain why they’d rather pay him less than market because he(Dak) needs talent around him so his flaws are camouflaged?

I’ve always wondered if hard truths are told in the heat of negotiations.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'm not that into Dak, but I wouldn't trade his leadership for anything less than multiple firsts.

sure he's better with better talent around him, but there's gonna be dudes on both sides of the ball who elevate their effort because of this guy. He simply connects with this team.

If he going to Cabo, every damn body going to Cabo!

if the offense would design plays that display his strengths and quit trying to be some shell of what could have been with Romo, we could see deep playoff runs. Yes, multiple.

GShock

DCC 4Life
How offensive do these negotiations get between teams/agents/players?

Does a player like Dak hear any hard truths coming from the Dallas front office? Does Stephen or whoever explain why they’d rather pay him less than market because he(Dak) needs talent around him so his flaws are camouflaged?

I’ve always wondered if hard truths are told in the heat of negotiations.
“Dak, this is the hard truth.”

”M’ok. Some team will Kirk Cousins me. Enjoy the Cooper Rush experience.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah you can't really go in and offend the guy you want leading your team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

That is what is so funny when you see the dialogue about Prescott.

Do I think he is elite and should be paid like it? No way. The more you think about it, the less it should matter.

But damn, it is not like you can go and draft or sign a guy at his level.

Pay the price for doing business in the NFL.

These fan concepts about "value" and so on are idiotic.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not that into Dak, but I wouldn't trade his leadership for anything less than multiple firsts.

sure he's better with better talent around him, but there's gonna be dudes on both sides of the ball who elevate their effort because of this guy. He simply connects with this team.

If he going to Cabo, every damn body going to Cabo!

if the offense would design plays that display his strengths and quit trying to be some shell of what could have been with Romo, we could see deep playoff runs. Yes, multiple.
In terms of "leadership", I honestly think Prescott is in better position than Romo was at the same juncture of their career.

By year four, Romo was talking about how he was okay with getting his ass beat in Philly in 2008.

I don't see Prescott saying that in a similar situation.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is what is so funny when you see the dialogue about Prescott.

Do I think he is elite and should be paid like it? No way. The more you think about it, the less it should matter.

But damn, it is not like you can go and draft or sign a guy at his level.

Pay the price for doing business in the NFL.

These fan concepts about "value" and so on are idiotic.
There really is no way around paying the man unless you want to let him walk and start a rebuild fresh again. Because you're not getting a better QB in free agency. And frankly the lesser free agent will probably cost you more. The only way to not pay Dak is to go and draft another QB which will require a bad season and a high draft pick.

With that being said paying Dak shouldn't restrict our ability to continue to extend our best draft picks and keep this core around Dak. So you just have to focus on continuing to try and build a great team around Dak.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Presently Dak is the best option Dallas has but that doesn’t mean he is in the elite class of QBs and deserves to be paid as though he is.. Even if everyone thinks he should be paid and will be paid as a top performer that doesn’t make him a top performer. He will be a recipient of circumstances and receive top pay but he has yet to deliver a top QB performance record. It’s one of those things where being in the right place at the right time falls in his favor. He will be paid for performances he has yet to deliver.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Presently Dak is the best option Dallas has but that doesn’t mean he is in the elite class of QBs and deserves to be paid as though he is.. Even if everyone thinks he should be paid and will be paid as a top performer that doesn’t make him a top performer. He will be a recipient of circumstances and receive top pay but he has yet to deliver a top QB performance record. It’s one of those things where being in the right place at the right time falls in his favor. He will be paid for performances he has yet to deliver.
You don’t think he’s outplayed that paltry assed rookie deal? He’s far exceeded his pay scale in his first 3 seasons.

Top Bottom