Boozeman: Jason Witten returns to guide, new Cowboys leaders emerged in absence

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

By: C.C. Boorman | 47 minutes ago

Make no mistake, this generation’s “Mr. Cowboy” is back. Jason Witten has made his return to the Dallas Cowboys and it seems like he never really left.

The yearning for a championship and the sense that the 2019 Cowboys are on the cusp of a legitimate run at a Super Bowl were motivating factors on the return of the 11-time Pro Bowler. In one of his initial statements after ending his one-year retirement and Monday Night Football gig, Witten made it clear that his competitive engine still runs hot.

“The fire inside of me to compete and play this game is just burning too strong. This team has a great group of rising young stars, and I want to help them make a run at a championship. This was completely my decision, and I am very comfortable with it. I’m looking forward to getting back in the dirt.”

Witten returns to Dallas holding numerous franchise records. He will add to the club mark in games played (239), receptions (1,152) and receiving yards (12,448). If he can manage six receiving touchdowns, admittedly more than he’s had in any year since 2013, he’ll take over the club mark for that as well.

The primary question still lingers: what role will he occupy now that he has returned? Part of that activity will be serving as a mentor to a young and developing tight end group but also taking his place at the leadership table alongside others like Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott and DeMarcus Lawrence.

In an interview shortly after his return, Witten sounded like a man who understands the changes he will see in the upcoming campaign.

“That’s part of going through this process. I don’t know if I could have said that a year ago, I really don’t. Now, I come back with a different perspective, and my job is different than what it probably was for a long time. But make no mistake about it, the best thing I can do is go be the best tight end I can be. I don’t expect to be a shell of myself.”

While there has been rampant speculation Witten would have a reduced snap count, most of that conjecture is not based on solid fact. While both Blake Jarwin and Dalton Schultz had their moments last season, neither could approach the production and football IQ of the future Hall of Famer.

It is not very likely Jerry Jones or Jason Garrett are prepared or even willing to impose a 25-snap-per-game restriction on the team’s all-time leading receiver in yards and catches.

After veteran mini-camp in May, Garrett spoke glowingly of Witten.

“He looks the same. He looks the same. His weight is 250, low 260s. He looks fast. He looks quick. He looks flexible and moving around really well. He really hasn’t skipped a beat. Completely involved in our off-season program. On the field last week, he looked really good.”

Barring a major change of plans, Witten will be out there on most downs on Sundays this fall, executing the crucial blocks and snagging the chain-moving clutch catches that have been his career trademark. And chances are that the Cowboys would not have it any other way.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
You read that stomach-churning fucking propaganda, and it triggers a puke-in-your-mouth reflex.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:zekesneak

Post more, seriously.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Barring injury I look for Witten to have an outstanding season maybe even All pro.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Barring injury I look for Witten to have an outstanding season maybe even All pro.
Barring there being none when I dig a hole in my backyard, I expect to find a shit ton of gold, maybe even a fuck ton.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Which is the more pathetic attempt to cover up his baldness: the toupee or the backwards hat on a 37-year old?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This was an excellent article booze. And I'm glad you pointed out two things that a lot of people seem to want to gloss over. First, Witten is a far superior run blocker to the other TEs on the roster. Second, Witten isn't really a progress stopper because the other TEs on the roster aren't that good.

Top Bottom