Life is strange

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I simply do not have enough hours in the day to be interested. My goals revolve around getting my family in a more secure position for the future. I recently bought some land with a 2 acre pond on it. We are focused on developing that and our business at the moment. The Cowboys rank pretty low on the list along with the NFL. The NFL is a crappy league IMO. So much of it annoys me/turns me off. I enjoy the Dallas games occasionally but I honestly didn't even watch much of the last two seasons...maybe half of the games. There are plenty of players that I am not familiar with on the squad. The draft was pretty much ruined, so I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. I follow recruiting much more than the draft these days. I'm not sure how many posts I've had here in the last 6 months...not many.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Long time, boys.

Seems like the perfect thread to come back to.

As you get older and more important things come along the way, it's natural that you're going to have less time for things like football. But ultimately, you find a way to stay connected to the things you truly love and are passionate about.

So my lack of interest in the NFL and the Cowboys has more to do with the shitty state that both are in than it does with anything going on in my personal life.

The NFL and the game of professional football just isn't what it used to be. The NFL is a shit league now run by a buffoon who is intent on ruining it.

The rule changes, the way the league does business, the favoritism towards certain owners and organizations, changing the draft from an awesome weekend event to a primetime money grab, etc.

Those things have all served to significantly hurt the product and change the NFL as a whole.

It's been a number of years now that I don't spend my Sundays watching football. Whereas I used to be obsessed with this sport, now I rarely care about what happens outside of Cowboys football, and even then, that interest has significantly dwindled as time has passed, which brings me to....

The biggest factor in my lack of interest in the NFL is that sorry state of the Dallas Cowboys over the course of the last 20 years or so. Since we last won a Super Bowl, the Cowboys could only truly be considered a legitimate franchise during the Parcells years.

Think about that -- in 22 years or whatever it is, the only time we could be respected from the outside as an organization that does things the right way was for a brief 4 year period when Parcells was the coach.

That's 4 years out of the last 22.

Sad.

So when you don't feel like you have a horse in the race, it's totally going to affect your vested interest in whatever particular activity or hobby that is.

The Cowboys have had a few decent moments along the way -- 2007, 2009, 2014, and 2016. Last year wasn't bad either. And while winning no longer sends me to work on Monday mornings with a smile, I still do enjoy when they play well and have solid seasons.

But because they have the worst HC in football who is only there because of that demonic family that is hellbent on torturing Cowboys fans everywhere, those good feelings never last because you don't believe that whatever success they experience is sustainable.

Not only has Jason Garrett proven time and time again that he doesn't know how to win and can never produce consecutive winning seasons, the Cowboys business model for doing things just isn't conducive to producing long term success in the NFL.

So if you know this, why would you ever really be all that interested?

It's like there's an imaginary ceiling that you know exists that is only going to let your team go so far. Even the best seasons for the Cowboys under Garrett have a shelf life, and knowing this whether it be consciously or subconsciously only serves to limit your interest.......or at least it does mine.

So for me, I catch about 10-12 games a season now. They are a nice distraction on a Sunday when I don't have anything else going on. But they are no longer the one thing I look forward to every weekend between Sept-Jan.

As fond as my memories are of growing up and watching them every Sunday with my father and uncle, great memories that I will take with me to the grave, this game and team just aren't what they used to be to me and they only have themselves to blame for that.

It's been like this for so long that even if the Cowboys became the next Patriots-like dynasty, my passion will never ever be what it used to be, and that is the saddest part of it all.

Top Bottom