Cowboys Unlikely To Extend Ezekiel Elliott?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]Cowboys Unlikely To Extend Ezekiel Elliott?[/h]
June 24th, 2019 at 7:35pm CST by Sam Robinson

Following the DeMarcus Lawrence extension, the Cowboys’ talks with their bevy of standouts have stagnated. But their priorities have become clear. The Cowboys have begun re-up discussions with Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper, and despite acknowledging Ezekiel Elliott is “the straw that stirs the drink” for them, the fourth-year running back appears to be on the team’s back-burner.

And they might not any time soon. Based on talks with several close to this process, ESPN.com’s Dan Graziano notes the Cowboys are not only unlikely to extend Elliott in 2019 but possibly will go through 2020 with the two-time rushing champion still tethered to his rookie deal.

Elliott being under contract for two more seasons, with his fifth-year option worth only $9.1MM, and the prospect of a 2021 franchise tag makes the Cowboys comfortable they can retain Elliott at a reasonable price for a while, Graziano adds. Elliott participated in Dallas’ offseason activities, and a recent report indicated the parties were on the same page. But the two-time Pro Bowler’s patience with this situation figures to soon be tested.

The 23-year-old back watched Todd Gurley, Le’Veon Bell and David Johnson each sign for at least $13MM per year, and Elliott has amassed a historic workload through his first three seasons. No running back has more touches than Elliott (1,003) since 2016, despite the Ohio State alum missing eight games because of suspension and Week 17 rest, and only two backs (Edgerrin James and LaDainian Tomlinson) have ever accumulated more touches per game than Elliott (25.1) through three seasons. Another high-volume season, at a $3.9MM base salary, would be a risky proposition for the former No. 4 overall pick.

The Cowboys may not only view Prescott and Cooper deals as more pressing matters, but Graziano adds a Byron Jones extension may be a higher priority as well. This makes sense, given these players are in contract years and Elliott is now signed through 2020. But Elliott’s 2017 suspension helped keep that Cowboys iteration out of the playoffs, and among this sect of extension candidates, he is the only first-team All-Pro.

While a holdout would stand to weaken the defending NFC East champions, Elliott would be subject to fines for missing training camp. And from the team’s perspective, these high-end running back deals obviously come with risk due to running backs’ short shelf lives. Nevertheless, Elliott’s next move will be interesting.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see no reason to rush especially with his off the field antics. He still basically has 2 years left on his contract and look what happened with Gurley. He gets the new deal and now he has an arthritic condition in his knee. I'm sure the Rams wish they hadn't handed out that contract just yet.

Anyway, no reason to rush. Dak and Cooper will be free agents sooner so they should take precedence. It only makes sense. Plus with RB being a high contact position you have to make sure Elliott's body is going to hold up and you have 2 years to continue to monitor it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I see no reason to rush especially with his off the field antics. He still basically has 2 years left on his contract and look what happened with Gurley. He gets the new deal and now he has an arthritic condition in his knee. I'm sure the Rams wish they hadn't handed out that contract just yet.

Anyway, no reason to rush. Dak and Cooper will be free agents sooner so they should take precedence. It only makes sense. Plus with RB being a high contact position you have to make sure Elliott's body is going to hold up and you have 2 years to continue to monitor it.
Yeah give him the same treatment that was given to DeMarco Murray. Ride him into the ground and then cut him loose.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah give him the same treatment that was given to DeMarco Murray. Ride him into the ground and then cut him loose.
I think Elliott is far superior to Murray. I want to re-sign him. Pollard should help extend Zekes life in the field as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Elliott is far superior to Murray. I want to re-sign him. Pollard should help extend Zekes life in the field as well.
Yeah I'm not advocating letting him go. I'd just worry about it next offseason. Dak shpuld be priority 1 and Cooper 2 for now.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah I'm not advocating letting him go. I'd just worry about it next offseason. Dak shpuld be priority 1 and Cooper 2 for now.
Its conventional logic for a reason.

No one could argue Zeke’s critical impact, especially in 2016.

And contract duration is no big deal. Zeke, competently managed, should be an impact player for at least four more years.

But Dak has to be the one to elevate the offense to the next level, and he must have WRs to do so.

If Dak doesn’t graduate from needing a Zeke-level running game to succeed, we aren’t going anywhere.

p1_

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Ezekiel Elliott Is Cowboys Last Free Agent Priority? Brilliant![/h]

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I’m not sure he is superior. If he takes over Murray’s team record then I would reconsider but for now Murray has the chips in his pocket.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I’m not sure he is superior. If he takes over Murray’s team record then I would reconsider but for now Murray has the chips in his pocket.
Homer.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What do you expect from someone who thinks Romo is better than Aikman
I offered my reasons and supported it with stats. What have you offered and don’t give me the Super Bowl crap because the team won that trophy not Aikman.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Let me know when you have something to offer besides a worn out gif.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Stats mean little. Especially single season stats, when looking at the grand scheme of things. Murray was a good running back. A very good running back, in fact. But he was not as good as Elliott.

Murray shot his wad that year for a 4.7 ypc avg, then fell off a cliff. Elliott has a career 4.7 yard avg.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Its conventional logic for a reason.

No one could argue Zeke’s critical impact, especially in 2016.

And contract duration is no big deal. Zeke, competently managed, should be an impact player for at least four more years.

But Dak has to be the one to elevate the offense to the next level, and he must have WRs to do so.

If Dak doesn’t graduate from needing a Zeke-level running game to succeed, we aren’t going anywhere.
And this very thing is what concerns me. Dak will get his new contract soon. God forbid a season ending injury to Zeke. But IF that happened and Dak couldn't win without him, we would be screwed. Badly!
In my opinion we don't really know what we have in Dak as a passer. And I'd hate to make him the highest paid player in the league under these circumstances.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So go on record and say Murray is better than Smith.
I already said if and when Elliot reaches Murray’s record I will reconsider. Elliot hasn’t had the time yet to prove he will be used in the same way Murray was used. Put that saddle on his back then see how he holds up.

Top Bottom