ITS: Should cowboys consider bringing back Alex Tanney as backup QB?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By Jess Haynie

If the Dallas Cowboys aren't happy about their quarterback depth by the end of preseason, they should be looking to add someone from other teams' roster cuts. One player that could become available is a former Cowboy, Alex Tanney, and he may be one of the best options they'll have.

Tanney is currently with the New York Giants and served as Eli Manning's backup last year. He's floated around the NFL since going undrafted in 2012, being part of eight different teams.

Alex's tenure in Dallas came in 2013 when the Cowboys signed him just before training camp. Tanney flashed his potential during the preseason but it wasn't enough to get him on the 53-man roster. Dallas kept just two QBs that year, Tony Romo and Kyle Orton, and signed Tanney to their practice squad.

In November of that season, the Cleveland Browns poached Alex and signed him to their roster. Then came a series of stops with other teams' practice squad before finally landing with the Tennessee Titans, where he got his first and only playing time in a regular season game.

In 2015, Tanney finished the Titans meaningless regular-season finale. He completed 10-of-14 passes for 99 yards and one touchdown.

New York Giants QB Alex Tanney

After spending last year with the Giants as the backup QB but never having to play, Tanney re-signed with New York for a two year deal this past March. But that was before the Giants spent their first-round pick on QB Daniel Jones

New York has kept three quarterbacks on the roster the last two years, but only kept two in 2016. With a clear top-two of Manning and Jones, and Daniel obviously their QB of the future, could they decide to let their other passers go at final cuts?

By only giving Tanney $75,000 in guaranteed money on his new contract, the Giants certainly left themselves the option of cutting him.

Alex Tanney now has seven years of NFL experience with multiple teams. He'll have just spent a full year and a second offseason with one of the Cowboys' division rivals, perhaps offering some insights into Pat Shurmur's system.

Ideally, the Cowboys will be content at quarterback if Cooper Rush or Mike White can earn their confidence over the next two months. But after reported struggles from both during mini-camps and OTAs, there is reason for concern.

This will all be moot, of course, if the Giants decide to keep Alex as a their third quarterback. But there is reason to think he could hit the open market, and if so he may be one of the few decent options that Dallas has to try and improve their QB depth.

In the end, Alex Tanney may not be a better option than Rush or White. But if the Cowboys find themselves desperate by September, he should at least be worth a second look.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is a truly thought-provoking article, thank god we have Jess Haynie over here to suggest that we add an arguably even shittier QB to what is perhaps the shittiest backup QB situation in the NFL.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I thought you guys might like this article. :lol

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Like free safety, backup QB is a position the front office clearly doesn't give two shits about. Every year it's "cross your fingers and hope for the best."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Like free safety, backup QB is a position the front office clearly doesn't give two shits about. Every year it's "cross your fingers and hope for the best."
Well, they kind of gave a shit with the schlub vet approach with the likes of Brad Johnson and Brandon Weeden, which still didn't matter.

I would much rather go with the cheap approach with young guys and developmental rookies. It is pretty clear we are fucked no matter what if the starter goes down.

Besides, what veteran QB out there right now would be remotely palatable? The answer is pretty much none.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I would much rather go with the cheap approach with young guys and developmental rookies. It is pretty clear we are fucked no matter what if the starter goes down.
If Dak does down for the year, sure, but what if he only misses a month? That's when your backup becomes valuable. I think I'd elevate White over Rush based on arm strength alone.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Dak does down for the year, sure, but what if he only misses a month? That's when your backup becomes valuable. I think I'd elevate White over Rush based on arm strength alone.
There are very few teams in the league that have that four game backup stop gap type. If you cannot get yourself a Teddy Bridgewater or Tyrod Taylor, you might as well go with a developmental that you know their limitations.

Guys like Blaine Gabbert, Matt Schaub, Robert Griffin, Matt Barkley, Brian Hoyer, Chad Henne, A.J. McCarron, Chase Daniel, Trevor Siemian etc. are not going to do more than win a game or two out of those four.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I would absolutely take Gabbert, Hoyer or Siemian over the guys we have now.

p1_

DCC 4Life
well, there's 5 minutes neither of us will ever get back.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There are very few teams in the league that have that four game backup stop gap type. If you cannot get yourself a Teddy Bridgewater or Tyrod Taylor, you might as well go with a developmental that you know their limitations.

Guys like Blaine Gabbert, Matt Schaub, Robert Griffin, Matt Barkley, Brian Hoyer, Chad Henne, A.J. McCarron, Chase Daniel, Trevor Siemian etc. are not going to do more than win a game or two out of those four.
Exactly right. Develop White to be Dak’s backup just like Dak was drafted and developed to backup Romo.

(That by minor miracle Dak instead started every game since being drafted has nothing to do with it)

White is here to pinch hit, and he’ll do the job of any journeyman backup at half the cost and with none of the baggage.

Top Bottom