New OC Kellen Moore Receiving Rave Reviews Early On

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If that buffoon Switzer delivered one, Parcels could have brought at least 2.
Easily. The slippage wouldn't have been near as steep and fast as we so with Switzer.

I know this is all hypotheticals but IMO if Parcells had immediately followed Jimmy Johnson it would have been a virtually seamless transition.

What were those early to mid-90s Cowboys known for? Running the ball and playing strong defense. Compare that to Parcells Giants teams and the formula for winning was eerily similar. Like Aikman in Dallas, Parcells' QBs weren't asked to shoulder a heavy load on a weekly basis.

Parcells didn't really lean heavily on his QB until he landed Drew Bledsoe in NE.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If that buffoon Switzer delivered one, Parcels could have brought at least 2.
The main point is we will never know. He had a chance but didn’t deliver even one. That’s the problem with assumptions, it’s a wish upon a Star status.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Easily. The slippage wouldn't have been near as steep and fast as we so with Switzer.

I know this is all hypotheticals but IMO if Parcells had immediately followed Jimmy Johnson it would have been a virtually seamless transition.

What were those early to mid-90s Cowboys known for? Running the ball and playing strong defense. Compare that to Parcells Giants teams and the formula for winning was eerily similar. Like Aikman in Dallas, Parcells' QBs weren't asked to shoulder a heavy load on a weekly basis.

Parcells didn't really lean heavily on his QB until he landed Drew Bledsoe in NE.
But he also brought him to Dallas. and “apparently” though this was his best option. It didn’t work out in the long run.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
What is the time frame “we” talking about?

You mentioned Bill was worn out when when he came to Dallas and the debate was if Bill came to Dallas when Barry got the job. Two different time periods.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Towards the end of Parcells stint in Dallas, Jerry remarked, "I'm just not having fun any more."

Parcells hated Jerry's idea of bringing in T.O., and fought it privately and publicly. But it was the kind of thing Jerry loved, and still loves. That's what he meant by having fun. To Jerry, having fun, being the big man, was more important than winning. Still is. It's why he'll never win, and why he won't ever understand why he doesn't win.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Towards the end of Parcells stint in Dallas, Jerry remarked, "I'm just not having fun any more."

Parcells hated Jerry's idea of bringing in T.O., and fought it privately and publicly. But it was the kind of thing Jerry loved, and still loves. That's what he meant by having fun. To Jerry, having fun, being the big man, was more important than winning. Still is. It's why he'll never win, and why he won't ever understand why he doesn't win.
What do you suppose he would have said if the team was really winning? Or are you supporting the theory that Jones would rather Parcells was gone so he could get back to calling the shots?

Since the Parcells coached Cowboys went to the playoffs the last two years and whiffed maybe something wasn’t sitting too well with the two. After all Parcells has already retired twice before he took over the reins as coach. Was Parcells burned out or was Jones not happy with him? Who knows? The smell of the circumstances however seemed to be that Parcells simply didn’t have or possess the will to win and the energy it takes. There are so many ways you can go with this pairing but the end result was that Parcells left after an average showing in Dallas.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
What do you suppose he would have said if the team was really winning? Or are you supporting the theory that Jones would rather Parcells was gone so he could get back to calling the shots?

Since the Parcells coached Cowboys went to the playoffs the last two years and whiffed maybe something wasn’t sitting too well with the two. After all Parcells has already retired twice before he took over the reins as coach. Was Parcells burned out or was Jones not happy with him? Who knows? The smell of the circumstances however seemed to be that Parcells simply didn’t have or possess the will to win and the energy it takes. There are so many ways you can go with this pairing but the end result was that Parcells left after an average showing in Dallas.
Probably all of the above. Parcells once said, "If I'm going to eat from the menu, I'm going to pick the ingredients." Or words to the effect. I believe Jerry was tiring of the perception that Parcells was in charge of all football things. Parcells took the team from abysmal to respectable in fairly short order. The next season after Parcalls left, Phillips's first, 13 Cowboys were named to the pro bowl.

But once Jerry had his stadium deal Parcells was probably more of an irritant. I'm sure Parcells didn't sit in meetings and say, "Yes, Boss."

Parcells had the shits of Jerry and football as well. An amicable divorce.

But none of that changes the Jerry's quote about having fun, or reason why he'll never win.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The next season after Parcalls left, Phillips's first, 13 Cowboys were named to the pro bowl.
what I found interesting about Parcells' team/roster building is that he whiffed so spectacularly on a decent number of players. I figured he would be a better evaluator of talent than that.

Top Bottom