New OC Kellen Moore Receiving Rave Reviews Early On

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Huh? You make no sense.
I think maybe he thought you meant the Romo days were great ones? But that's not what you were saying.

Anyway, one thing to watch out for is the whole Garrett-Moore dynamic. Jerry said to tell him if Moore wasn't being given enough latitude, but still, Garrett is kind of a control freak and very concerned about his own image. He didn't like Callahan getting the playcalling reins at all and even took them back. Even if things go well, watch for Garrett to try to get credit somehow. And if they don't, Kellen better watch his back.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
These are the aspects of modern offense that Cowboys fans have been screaming for the past two seasons. While offenses like the Chiefs and the Rams make it look easy most Sunday's, everything the Cowboys do offensively always feels so difficult. Like they are slopping through the mud or running through quick-sand at times.
Very true. It all centered around Garrett/Linehan's lazy philosophy that relied way too much on players "out-talenting" the guy across from them.

If they actually do start incorporating a significant amount of pre-snap motion into the offense, that alone will be considered a huge step forward, IMO.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I would expect most to be skeptical about Moore because of his inexperience but but his knowledge about offenses and schemes , if he is given free rein , I believe will pay dividends right away. Button line for me is he has a far greater upside than the schemes he is replacing.
One thing that makes me hopeful about Kellen Moore is his age. Being that he's younger I think he's a lot more in tune with modern than older conservative natured coaches like Garrett and Linehan.

p1_

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Cowboys Offense Outlook Very Promising--Kellen Moore Quotes[/h]

p1_

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Our Wildest Cowboys Offensive Dreams Appear To Be Coming True With Kellen Moore[/h]

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
One thing that makes me hopeful about Kellen Moore is his age. Being that he's younger I think he's a lot more in tune with modern than older conservative natured coaches like Garrett and Linehan.
I'd like to believe that, but given that he was in the coaches room last year...either he didn't speak up, they didn't listen, or he isn't the genius he's being sold as. We'll see soon enough.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'd like to believe that, but given that he was in the coaches room last year...either he didn't speak up, they didn't listen, or he isn't the genius he's being sold as. We'll see soon enough.
I'm hoping beyond hope that they just didn't listen to him. It would fit with Garrett's controlling nature.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Maybe Garrett's 'collaborative' environment is a new thing at The Star.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
True but then again Garrett is still his boss.
And, Jerry is Garrett's boss and he has said he expects change on the offensive side of the ball. Listen, it's the only hope I have. Let me have it at least until the season starts.

p1_

DCC 4Life
And, Jerry is Garrett's boss and he has said he expects change on the offensive side of the ball. Listen, it's the only hope I have. Let me have it at least until the season starts.
I think Jerry and Stephen are not gonna let Garrett stifle Moore completely.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe Garrett's 'collaborative' environment is a new thing at The Star.
Kellen Moore will call the plays. Garrett's playbook doesn't consist of 4 plays even though that's all we seemed to run.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I gotta tell ya, Moore's offense better blow our socks off with the amount of hype.
I'll take better than last year. Because I think the defense will be better than last year. You out those two things together and we have a top team.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'll take better than last year. Because I think the defense will be better than last year. You out those two things together and we have a top team.
Dont eat the cheese.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Jerry and Stephen are not gonna let Garrett stifle Moore completely.
They don't owe Moore a thing. Garrett on the other hand, they have invested a significant amount of emotional capital into. They want him to succeed much more than they give a crap abuot Moore being stifled.

If Garrett wants to take over, they aren't going to stop him.

From Kevin Sherrington's article at the DMN:

Once again, Thursday, Garrett, in describing the Cowboys offensive process going forward, used the word "collaborative." Used it twice, in fact. Talked again about all the great thinkers on offense whom Moore can tap.

The takeaway quotes: "He's been with us a few years and he has a good feel for how we want to do things"; "He's not doing it by himself"; and "Injecting some new ideas and finding some old ideas . . . making it collaborative . . . to go with what this offense is going to be all about."

Does any of the above sound like the description of a guy who's been given the keys?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They don't owe Moore a thing. Garrett on the other hand, they have invested a significant amount of emotional capital into. They want him to succeed much more than they give a crap abuot Moore being stifled.

If Garrett wants to take over, they aren't going to stop him.

From Kevin Sherrington's article at the DMN:

Once again, Thursday, Garrett, in describing the Cowboys offensive process going forward, used the word "collaborative." Used it twice, in fact. Talked again about all the great thinkers on offense whom Moore can tap.

The takeaway quotes: "He's been with us a few years and he has a good feel for how we want to do things"; "He's not doing it by himself"; and "Injecting some new ideas and finding some old ideas . . . making it collaborative . . . to go with what this offense is going to be all about."

Does any of the above sound like the description of a guy who's been given the keys?
Lets be real, if Moore succeeds Garrett will sell it as a colaborative effort. If he fails, Garrett will push him under the bus. Garrett will give him the rope and than take credit or dish out blame to protect himself.

Garrett is an offensive minded coach. He knows what an ass he would look like if he said the offense is all Moore's. He would have no way to justify his job if he said that.

Top Bottom