New OC Kellen Moore Receiving Rave Reviews Early On

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We were 5-11 like 3 years in a row before he got there. 3 of his four years here were winning seasons and 2 out of 4 were playoff births. He totally remade the roster in the process. You really can't see how the roster was remade for success over those 4 years? I mean seriously? This team was gutter trash before that. The team Parcells built lasted for a long time. Shit guys like Witten are still here from that legacy.
Yeah 53 percent is a winning percentage but it’s nothing to brag about.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Parcells literally turned the franchise around overnight. They immediately went from three consecutive seasons of 5-11 records and being one of the laughingstocks of the NFL to a respectable, perennial playoff contender under Parcells guidance.

If not for Parcells, Jerry would still be farting around with buffoons like Dave Campo. And you can forget about ever having Romo and Witten in the fold. Gems like those guys were found by Parcells and his staff.

Drew Henson, Chad Hutchinson, Quincy Carter, and Clint Stoerner....that's what Jerry brought to the table pre-Parcells. So please don't say Parcells didn't accomplish much while here in Dallas. He may not have won a title but given what he inherited, I'd say he accomplished a ton. He essentially turned water into wine.
Romo wasn’t drafted. It was a stroke of luck for him to be on the team but don’t attribute it to Parcells.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Romo wasn’t drafted. It was a stroke of luck for him to be on the team but don’t attribute it to Parcells.
Parcells and Sean Payton absolutely had a hand in acquiring and developing Romo. Even though he was undrafted they sought him out. That's not luck. That's called having an eye for talent.

data

Forbes #1
You are saying what you would do if you made the decisions for the franchise. Jones actually thinks he is doing the right things and no one can convince him otherwise. He cares about winning he just isn’t going to give up his position with the team and that’s the only position he will take. His methodology however isn’t consistent with a lot of others who would do things differently. You just aren’t seeing his thought process nor does a lot of us see his point of view but he actually believes he does the right things for the franchise. Your position in changing the trends is simply different from his.
...and this is from seven years ago.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/barryhorn/2012/11/04/hot-air-jerry-jones-admits-he-d-have-fired-himself-as-cowboys-gm

data

Forbes #1
Hell. Garrett is doing better than Parcell if wins and losses are the criteria and after all what are we talking about here.style points or results? Parcells has a legacy in the NFL but his tenure at Dallas was average at best. As to drafting and building a roster the last 5 years have been better than any of Parcells years with Dallas. Other than a huge reputation, Parcells did nothing here to polish his image. He was on his way to the rocking chair and made a rest stop in Dallas. Results are results and his improvement to the franchise was slightly over 50 percent. Some improvement yes but in reality nothing speculative other than the press conferences.
So what's your opinion on Barry Switzer?

Best winning percentage in franchise history, has two NFCC appearances with one SB win. Only coach to eat a hot dog during the Pro Bowl.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So what's your opinion on Barry Switzer?

Best winning percentage in franchise history, has two NFCC appearances with one SB win. Only coach to eat a hot dog during the Pro Bowl.
It doesnt matter what my opinion of Switzer is. Most everyone will attribute it to Johnson. In a different dialogue about coaches and players the record and accomplishments are everything but in this context they mean little in most people’s mind so that’s simply a loaded question. What if Parcells had been the coach that replaced Johnson? Would he be a hero or a lucky replacement?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Parcells and Sean Payton absolutely had a hand in acquiring and developing Romo. Even though he was undrafted they sought him out. That's not luck. That's called having an eye for talent.
Peyton had a hand in the acquiring And developing Romo but Parcells was pretty negative about him and called on his comfort level with Bledsoe. Had Bledsoe not fell apart on his game Romo wouldn’t have seen the light of day under Parcells.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
It doesnt matter what my opinion of Switzer is. Most everyone will attribute it to Johnson. In a different dialogue about coaches and players the record and accomplishments are everything but in this context they mean little in most people’s mind so that’s simply a loaded question. What if Parcells had been the coach that replaced Johnson? Would he be a hero or a lucky replacement?
Parcells would have been looked at differently than Switzer. Mainly bacause he had done it before. He had the experience to prove it and look no further than when he was brought in here when Jerry needed the support for a new stadium. Switzer was brought in on the heels of the trained monkey comment. He was a puppet for Jerry that just needed to stay out of the way of an extremely talented team. You knew Parcells could do it but Switzer was just a cheerleader that had nothing more than college success.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
So after four years, Jerry looked at the Parcells era vs. what was going on before that and said, "What a waste, we'd have done the same thing with Dave Campo."

Really?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Parcells would have probably picked up the torch where Jimmy Johnson left off and continued to win for several years moving forward. He and Jimmy Johnson have similar coaching personalities. Whereas at that point in his life and career, Barry Switzer was no more than a neutered happy-go-lucky Jerry lap dog. He was essentially the "fun uncle". You know the uncle who doesn't enforce standards, allows the kids to stay up past their bedtimes, junk food for meals, etc. I've ready a couple of books on the Cowboys from that era and in both books it was painfully obvious that the veteran players had no respect for Barry Switzer and happily ran over him, and other vets like Aikman hated him because he refused to enforce any kind of standards.

Now you tell me. When has anyone ever stated or insinuated that Parcells didn't enforce standards and was a push over? The answer is never. So no I don't think Parcells would just be considered a lucky replacement. Especially since he already had two Super Bowls under his belt that were won within the same decade as Jimmy's firing.

Also, remember this. Parcells did coach another team to the Super Bowl during that mid-90s era.....the 1996 Patriots. So obviously he still had plenty of fire and fuel in the tank and was still capable of forging his own road.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The probably in your response is the operative word. We assume what we don't know. We assume had Parcells stayed on he would have continued the SB run but that’s simply a probably. We also assumed Parcells would have done better than he actually did but like Johnson he also chose to leave coaching for a different lifestyle. Parcells was on his way to the rocking chair when he took over as coach. He really didn’t have the fire in his gut to give what it takes to make a champion ship run. His press conferences appeared to be the most lively activity.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Parcells was on his way to the rocking chair when he took over as coach. He really didn’t have the fire in his gut to give what it takes to make a champion ship run. His press conferences appeared to be the most lively activity.
The playoff loss in Seattle where Romo muffed the snap took what little wind was left in his (Parcells') sails. He was done at that point.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Parcels taking over was also several years after the period of time that we were talking about.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We assume had Parcells stayed on he would have continued the SB run
There are these things called safe assumptions and this is a good example of one.

Top Bottom