Sturm: Two Hundred Snaps - Examining Tony Pollard, the Cowboys’ newest all-purpose weapon

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1][/h]

By Bob Sturm 2h ago

As you hopefully recall, I spent 12 weeks analyzing as many draft prospects as possible to be prepared for a wide variety of Cowboys draft scenarios. Unfortunately, because the team did not have a first-round selection, we were left with a lot of guesswork and were unsuccessful in breaking down all but second-rounder Trysten Hill. Undaunted, we now use part of the Spring and Summer examining the rest of the picks here with our in-depth “Two Hundred Snaps” series that will appear periodically in the weeks to follow. You can read our first in this series on Penn State guard Connor McGovern here.

Recently, Cowboys VP of Player Personnel Will McClay — one of the team’s key decision-makers — was being asked about his personal favorite (or, pet cat, if you will) from this draft class.

“When we went to the senior bowl, and we were watching guys, Tony Pollard stood out to me. When I watched him I was like, ‘Boy, there’s something different about this dude.’ There was a play in the senior bowl game where, in the game, now watching him or practice you’re like ‘Boy, he’s different.'”

The guys at the Draft Show (you can and should listen to their whole discussion here) assumed he must be talking about Pollard’s touchdown run at the Senior Bowl.

McClay answered, “No, there was a play where he’s running between the tackles and linebacker de-cleats him and you know, he hits him from the side and he sends him about five yards that way. Well, two plays later, he runs the ball. Same play and that linebacker is there, and he runs right through him. And you know, we started talking about going, ‘Yeah, this kid’s fearless.’ You know, how you run back kicks and do some of the things and line up in the slot. I just liked the explosiveness in his play and then there’s just a natural temperament that you see. He got whacked and then he came back and gave it to that same guy. You know, he never complained about his role at Memphis. They have three running backs… there’s something about the character of that kid that showed up on tape, and then we brought him in here and it reinforced that. What I saw on tape.”

Clearly, my ears perked up when I heard that discussion. I wanted to find out what he was talking about as I wrote this 200 Snaps piece for you this week on the all-purpose weapon from Memphis. I traditionally don’t worry about comparatively few snaps from All-Star games when I do my analysis because there are so many variables to consider. However, I understand scouting staffs leave no rock unturned, so if they are picking apart snaps from the Senior Bowl, it only makes sense for me to consider everything. I wanted to see what Will saw that day, a convincing piece of evidence he was prepared to share in a public forum.

This is where Twitter proved to be a very valuable resource. My colleague here at the Athletic, Ben Fennell, directed me to the first play, originally posted by Senior Bowl Director Jim Nagy.

Look at this first play with 10:33 to go in the 4th Quarter:

The video above shows the “de-cleating” play where Terrill Hanks has the angle on Pollard and knocks him well off his feet. It is interesting and vital to have this All-22 view because on the TV copy, it doesn’t exactly look vicious. Here, though, you can see the collision is very legitimate.

My intrigue grew, but I still couldn’t find the second play which so impressed the Cowboys war-room from the same angle, so I reached out to Nagy and he delivered yesterday:

This snap, which took place on the very next drive, features the same formation and a very similar playcall. Pollard runs the ball inside and appears to be looking for that same middle linebacker, Hanks from New Mexico State (#2 with the maroon helmet) and just runs him over. That is no small feat for a running back, and proof positive that he is a competitive runner who is not going to back down if you knock him off his feet.

Pollard was a fourth-year Junior who stayed home for college as a young man raised in Memphis. He joined the Tigers in 2015 and redshirted that first year. In 2016 and 2017, he was the AAC Special Teams Player of the Year and became well-known for his electric ability as a kick returner. In fact, he returned seven kickoffs for touchdowns in his career, tying him for the most in NCAA history with Clemson’s CJ Spiller (2010 1st rounder), Houston’s Tyron Carrier, and San Diego State’s Rashaad Penny (2018 1st rounder).

It had been 20 years since the Memphis Tigers returned a kick for a touchdown. Then Pollard did it seven different times between 2016 and last December. He has never really been a punt returner, and we also know the NFL is doing everything they can to eradicate the kickoff return completely, but there is no question who will be doing the job in Dallas in 2019.

But we all know the Cowboys didn’t draft Tony Pollard just because he can return kicks. They wanted to add some juice to their offense, and Kellen Moore campaigning for Pollard did not hurt. That being said, it doesn’t appear the team’s scouts or Will McClay need much convincing.

From 2016 until 2018, Pollard’s utility on offense saw his snaps per game rise from 26 to over 41. He was part of a loaded backfield which, in some ways, reminds you of Felix Jones in that Arkansas backfield with Darren McFadden and Peyton Hillis. Memphis also featured Rams second-rounder Darrell Henderson (after watching 200 snaps of Pollard’s work, I’m also convinced Henderson will be great in L.A.) and 2020 prospect Patrick Taylor. Both are very nice players who have a chance to play in the NFL for quite a while.

That leaves Pollard, who has shown the ability to do other things. Do you dig in and say you are just a running back, fighting for your spot against these other talents? Or do you figure out how to stay on the field and help the team even if you are getting fewer carries and a smaller spotlight? To Pollard’s credit, he added to his role every season. By 2018, he became that WEB back (short for “whatever back”) the Cowboys have sought to replace various pieces of Lance Dunbar, Cole Beasley, and Rod Smith. In doing so, perhaps he also replaces Tavon Austin. It will all depend on how quickly he can master his transition to the NFL.

Here is his MockDraftable.com testing profile:

He has decent numbers here, but he says they were affected by food poisoning from a Chipotle order. His Pro Day was considerably better than his combine performance. Dane Brugler listed those measurables in his annual draft guide:

As you can see, in Memphis he did better in every way, raising his numbers to a point where you could feel better about his 40 and his explosive traits (or you could just watch him return kicks for touchdowns every Saturday).

Back to any comparisons with Felix Jones, you would have to point to versatility in the offense. Pollard learned how to convert over to slot WR seamlessly, making him an option to share a field with a player like Ezekiel Elliott. Felix, meanwhile, never figured anything out but running back, so the Cowboys never really knew how to use him without benching Marion Barber back in the day. In other words, Dallas spent a 2008 first-round pick on a kick returner and backup running back. Pollard was pick No. 128 in the fourth round, where you would look for a complimentary weapon. He can do much more than Jones ever could, from what my study seems to indicate. So much of the draft game is based on what you paid for an asset. Felix Jones had a very nice career, but was never close to the value you seek from a first-round pick. Pollard has a chance to be a very nice “Day 3” piece of business for the Cowboys draft room.

The only way to understand that is to watch him carefully. So I went through several games, but selected three from his 2018 season to offer you a composite view of his offensive ability (special teams doesn’t require much of an introduction) below: [h=3]FILM STUDY[/h]
CENTRAL FLORIDA – OCTOBER 13, 2018

Here is the first of two battles against a tough foe, this one coming in Week 7.

Memphis uses 21 personnel (two running backs), providing a vision of what Pollard and Zeke could look like if the Cowboys wanted to do some of this. Memphis uses a cross-buck concept where one runner gets the ball on an outside zone and the other blocks across to the backside edge. (On this play, Henderson actually ends up with #9 Trysten Hill.) Pollard expertly waits for the gap and then plants his foot and is in the end zone. If you had to point to his signature at Memphis, wide runs with the zone cutback are at the top of the list. He does this over and over in a Tigers uniform, as well as during the Senior Bowl.

On this play, he is asked to block for Henderson going the other direction. Pollard is a willing and capable blocker both as a running back and wide receiver, and generally gets his man out of the play. Henderson hits home runs consistently and if you think the Rams have an issue with Todd Gurley’s knee, I would suggest that was addressed very well during this draft. They will be fine.

Here is Pollard blocking down the field. This play goes nowhere, but you can see he is digging out his man and making sure he doesn’t make any play on the ball.

Pollard is not an exceptional receiver and his downfield routes barely exist. He can run slants, though, and here he makes a fine traffic catch in a tight space and moves the chains for Memphis. His ability to win on contested catches needs work, but this sort of play will pass all tests.

Here, Pollard gets to the edge with a burst and then navigates to a final collision where he rocks the defender backward. I would not say he is a full replacement in the event Elliott must significant time, but I believe the Cowboys would want two men to shoulder that load and Pollard should make good use of 10-12 carries. He definitely seems comfortable with all wide-zone concepts and options for a running back, with the added component of catching passes.

Let’s move on to Week 9 and the second game of our evaluation.

EAST CAROLINA – NOVEMBER 3, 2018

Back to the bread and butter, 21 personnel, with a lead on a wide play where Pollard can use his juice to get outside. Memphis has so many capable backs, and so many concepts which employ space, that their offense was quite a treat without much in terms of downfield vertical throws. Pollard is great once he turns the corner and makes good choices on cutbacks and when to head to the sideline.

Jet sweep is certainly something you see all the time, and Pollard benefited from a block by the receiver on the near side of this play to give him the outside lane. The cornerback was out to lunch completely, so there was no replacement on the contain and Pollard could nearly walk into the end zone.

Jet sweeps and bubble screens. Watch for this on a regular basis, as Memphis was always able to get 3-on-3 situations wide. This means Pollard has to make a man miss and he was almost always able to do so. He is a chain-mover and difficult to bring down. Pollard is a full-sized running back, so if you are used to tiny Cole Beasley or Tavon Austin, just know Pollard will weigh 210 or 215 pounds. When you have a tough-to-tackle man who can fly outside the numbers, each play is a potential home run.

Pollard takes the counter step and then hits the hole quickly. What you like here is his awareness about where the best path seems to be. These are running back skills which don’t always come naturally to a WR who is trying to take carries. My point here is that Pollard is a smart football player and ball carrier while also playing in the slot. He has rare traits, especially considering he may not surpass 100 carries.

When you have a zone runner who can plant his foot and change directions on an almost 90-degree turn, you have something pretty nice on these outside zone plays. Pollard also has the juice to get downfield and battles to spin out of traffic. Hopefully, it’s becoming clear why the Cowboys disagree with those who dismiss their new runner as a third-stringer from Memphis. You can see the vision here.

But what if you need him to punch it in from the 1-yard line? Surely he is too much of a finesse player to be that guy, right? Check out the subtle jump cut here to avoid the penetration and get to the goal line out of the I-Formation in tight.

HOUSTON – NOVEMBER 23, 2018

Finally, let’s check Week 12 – a home game which proved to be one of Pollard’s best games as an offensive piece.

In 21 Personnel again, he starts as a running back and is motioned for a variation of another bubble and 3-on-3 situation. Two blockers are out front and he has to make himself skinny, get through the traffic and then hit the NOS. (Editor’s note: Bob is really into The Fast and the Furious movies)

He does all of this well and is off to the races. Where else would the Cowboys find someone who could do this at 210 pounds?

From the slot, Pollard will again fade out to the flank and be hit with a late throw from the QB on the bubble. Look at his traffic to navigate through, but he still turns it into a very positive play down the sideline. He executed an impressive and instinctive run to move the chains and keep the offense on schedule despite the late throw and the challenges he was presented.

With that in mind, what was the biggest negative I saw in this study? I think there are two things to consider. First, there are almost no vertical routes beyond a few in-breaking routes like a slant, a dig, or maybe a skinny post. But none of them are routine and none challenge the secondary down the field, to be honest. He is a slot receiver, but his tree is not terribly vast.

Second, on plays like this one above, I would argue we see a rather small catch radius. Sure, he can catch. But if the ball isn’t right on him, I don’t see Pollard helping out his quarterback much by bringing in off-target throws. This throw is open, but slightly behind him. By contorting his body, he cannot adjust to bring it in. I wouldn’t say he has many drops, but he isn’t bringing in tough catches or “off” throws very often.

This appears to be the exact same play against the exact same opponent with the exact same throw being slightly behind him (but more catchable) and the exact same result, as it hits the ground. I would score this one a clear drop and wonder if he has minimal downfield routes because it appears he is not great at catching downfield throws. Again, I don’t have a huge list of negatives, but this department needs work.

When you talk about a running back who isn’t exactly traditional in some respects, the top critique is often that he can’t run (or won’t, to your level of expectations) between the tackles. When doing this study, I wanted to see him hit it right up there, because if a running back is always running wide, he is much easier to defend. Show you can run both inside and outside, and you increase your value and your offensive coordinator’s play selection. The next three plays are almost in succession against Ed Oliver and the Houston defensive front. I really liked this run in particular because Pollard doesn’t have a huge hole, but hits a smaller one with no hesitation and some nice juice to spring into the secondary and gain about 15 yards.

The Tigers go right back to him again on the next snap for another inside run. There is almost no daylight this time, but he finds a lane and bursts up into the hole again to move the chains. This is good recognition, courage, and burst through a tiny spot between the opposite A-Gap. Even though we don’t often see it, he can indeed run inside.

Let the man finish the drive against Houston, right? We see another wide run where he just shows patience to the edge and Memphis blocks well. He cuts upfield to avoid a little traffic in the backfield and then waltzes into the end zone. Well done.

Kellen Moore and Jason Garrett wanted a weapon who would add a wrinkle to the offense. There is conjecture on whether they wanted Pollard all along, or grabbed him quickly when other interesting players like Bryce Love (No. 112 to Washington), Justice Hill (No. 113 to Baltimore), and Benny Snell (No. 122 to Pittsburgh) started flying off the board in the fourth round. We do know they placed a real premium on versatility over a pure positional-depth fit, which explains the preference over a pure slot like Hunter Renfroe (No. 149 to Oakland) or a pure running back like Trayveon Williams (No. 182 to Cincinnati).

There is a lot to like about Pollard. He can do many things well and also has real YAC upside which, in turn, leads to bigger plays. You may recall the Cowboys’ explosive play totals have not been impressive in the last two seasons, but adding Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, and now Tony Pollard gives them the weapons to address this.

Pollard isn’t perfect, but he is very intriguing. He can improve on his wide receiver mechanics in both route-running and bringing in tough catches. As a running back, he can adjust to the NFL demands that you get what you can on each play and not search for home runs so much. Let the big plays happen organically, but when you have a play blocked for two yards, get those two. Don’t dance around and lose two because you were looking for twenty.

For his spot in the draft – pick No. 128 at the end of Round 4 – I am more than pleased with the addition of Pollard. Now, like so many draft picks, we wait to see how quickly they create a role for him, and more importantly, how quickly he fulfills it.

Cotton

Staff member
Are Sturm's article like this valuable to you guys? It takes some time to post these with all the videos, so if you guys don't see value in them, there is no need for me to post them.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Are Sturm's article like this valuable to you guys? It takes some time to post these with all the videos, so if you guys don't see value in them, there is no need for me to post them.
Yes, they have value.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He has never really been a punt returner, and we also know the NFL is doing everything they can to eradicate the kickoff return completely, but there is no question who will be doing the job in Dallas in 2019.
The fact that he didn't return punts is an issue. If you are going to draft a gadget guy, try to find the rare one who can return punts.

Cotton

Staff member
The fact that he didn't return punts is an issue. If you are going to draft a gadget guy, try to find the rare one who can return punts.
The question then becomes, can he be coached to do it? That would greatly increase his value.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Eh, I think this is the most meh pick we made. Not impressed with his highlights at all. Even in the other thread, someone posted some twitter clips of him catching little quick screens outside and I didn't see anything impressive about them. Even here, I don't know what McClay is talking about. The LB tackled him just fine even if he fell back some... not like he ran over him and kept running for good yardage.

And that first clip here... Booze could've scored on that. That doesn't demonstrate anything.

To show I'm not just being a grouch, I think several of the other picks have pretty good potential.

Cotton

Staff member
Eh, I think this is the most meh pick we made. Not impressed with his highlights at all. Even in the other thread, someone posted some twitter clips of him catching little quick screens outside and I didn't see anything impressive about them. Even here, I don't know what McClay is talking about. The LB tackled him just fine even if he fell back some... not like he ran over him and kept running for good yardage.

And that first clip here... Booze could've scored on that. That doesn't demonstrate anything.

To show I'm not just being a grouch, I think several of the other picks have pretty good potential.
He has a really good jump cut and seems to have pretty good vision. I think he will be a contributor as a role player..... with the caveat that the coaches actually use him like they should.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Pollard was a reach and is another example of overdrafting niche, gadget players who are probably pet cats of a particular offensive coach. We should've taken Isaiah Johnson and then taken Pollard with our other 4th if we were so desperate for him.

Cotton

Staff member
We should've taken Isaiah Johnson and then taken Pollard with our other 4th if we were so desperate for him.
I have said the exact same thing. Why the rush to get Pollard with that first 4th? He would easily have been there at the other one.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The question then becomes, can he be coached to do it? That would greatly increase his value.
I was actually shocked to see he had a grand total of TWO punt returns to his name at Memphis. Naturally when you see how many scores he had on special teams, you assume it was with punts and kickoffs. Not the case here.

It can be taught, I guess. Cole Beasley had only 7 returns in college. Question becomes whether he has the innate skills to be successful at it.

Kickoff returns are totally different from punt returns, both in mechanical process and mindset.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have said the exact same thing. Why the rush to get Pollard with that first 4th? He would easily have been there at the other one.
Somebody fell in love with him.

To me, this is the most pivotal pick of the whole Cowboys draft.

They gave up some talent to get him and the guys they lost out on caused them to panic and trade down twice. Unless they can really figure out a sizable gadget role for him, it could easily become a wasted pick. He's not going to be the guy taking over if Elliott goes down. He's not a polished downfield pass catcher.

Honestly, there were better backs in this draft that are more sophisticated receivers who could also run the ball extensively. Trayveon Williams and Bryce Love come to mind.

Like the Hill pick, they better have got it right.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pollard was a reach and is another example of overdrafting niche, gadget players who are probably pet cats of a particular offensive coach. We should've taken Isaiah Johnson and then taken Pollard with our other 4th if we were so desperate for him.
Especially if Isaiah Johnson has a chance to be a starter down the road. And I think he could be in this defense. Pollard will never be anything but a backup/change of pace guy. Which is nice to have but not over someone who could be a legit starter.

Of course with Zeke I'm worried even a good change of pace back won't get that many opportunities.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Especially if Isaiah Johnson has a chance to be a starter down the road. And I think he could be in this defense. Pollard will never be anything but a backup/change of pace guy. Which is nice to have but not over someone who could be a legit starter.

Of course with Zeke I'm worried even a good change of pace back won't get that many opportunities.
Thats the deal. He's brought here to complement Zeke, but a much better Rod Smith. I like the versatility.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I'm hoping he's the Hitchens of this draft, guy nobody really heard of, all angry because they let much better known names go, but turns out to be a good player.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm hoping he's the Hitchens of this draft, guy nobody really heard of, all angry because they let much better known names go, but turns out to be a good player.
Impossible since he has been built up to be some sort of special weapon.

This pick just reeks of fail.

p1_

DCC 4Life
we have one gadget player that does a decent job with punts.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Impossible since he has been built up to be some sort of special weapon.

This pick just reeks of fail.
Just wait until they get him to bulk up so he can block and then he loses all his speed. On the plus side we can just reuse all of the things faster than Felix Jones memes

Cotton

Staff member
Just wait until they get him to bulk up so he can block and then he loses all his speed. On the plus side we can just reuse all of the things faster than Felix Jones memes

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Looks like they were dead set on Pollard and would have even taken him earlier:

I can't believe he dropped Sherman Williams in there, like he was proud of that.

Top Bottom