Prescott Contract Watch Thread...

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Just give him 32 a year and structure it in a way that he can be released after 2-3 years if he doesn't perform, it's a passive incentive, basically if he doesn't play well he'll get cut because his salary is bloated.
This!

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just give him 32 a year and structure it in a way that he can be released after 2-3 years if he doesn't perform, it's a passive incentive, basically if he doesn't play well he'll get cut because his salary is bloated.
If they guarantee a pot-full he will still be the winner even if he gets cut.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don believe I questioned the amount. I think there needs to be incentives tied to this figure. I don't care what someone else is being paid. That’s not a barometer of how well Dak will perform. Tie the reward to what he produces because he isn’t a top tier performer at present in my view.
That is nice, but no QB takes a contract like that. No other position carries with it the financial commitment and marriage that a QB contract commands.

The key is to present one that has money shifted appropriately to protect the team on the back end should the player tank.

Prescott is exactly the kind of player that should get a front loaded contract. Pay him a billion gazillion on the front end and make him happy.

To me, he is not a good enough passer to play deep into his 30s. You pay him now, use him up within three-four years and then be prepared to cut him and get a new guy.

GShock

DCC 4Life
If they guarantee a pot-full he will still be the winner even if he gets cut.
He’s going to get over 100 million guaranteed, regardless. The longer they wait, the more it will cost. Goff will eventually get extended or some other top 10 QB will get restructured and the number will keep going up. Better to pay now, put the drama behind you, and move on to Cooper and Smith.

Even when we were at peak Romo money, it never prevented us from extending someone we wanted to keep. And we don’t throw money at FAs from other teams even when we have it, so it won’t have any effect there.

Pay the man.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah I hear all of you and agree that will likely happen. I am voicing my opinion about what I think is his actual value and what I think a player of his current talents should receive in my opinion. I think he has an up side and I am pulling for him but I just can’t put him in the top tier of quarterbacks currently. I hope he makes it to the top but I see too many things that I am not certain can actually be corrected. He is too much mechanical and not enough instinctive.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is nice, but no QB takes a contract like that. No other position carries with it the financial commitment and marriage that a QB contract commands.

The key is to present one that has money shifted appropriately to protect the team on the back end should the player tank.

Prescott is exactly the kind of player that should get a front loaded contract. Pay him a billion gazillion on the front end and make him happy.

To me, he is not a good enough passer to play deep into his 30s. You pay him now, use him up within three-four years and then be prepared to cut him and get a new guy.
Dak isn't going to take an incentive laden contract for market value that other QBs are getting without the incentives.

The only way you get a heavily incentivized deal is if you offer him more than what other QBs make. And then you run the risk that Dak is going to play for stats instead of winning games. Which no one wants. If you say 5 mil is connected to 30 TDs. Suddenly the team is incentivized to pull him off the field if its close at the end of the year and Dak is more concerned about throwing the TD instead of running it in for the guaranteed score. Or he will start audible to passes so that he can pad stats. There isn't a great way to tie the majority of the money a player makes to incentives.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Tom Brady made what, like $15m last year? We've been debating whether this guy would be good value in the low 20m range?

This is insanity.

On what planet is this guy worth that kind of money? This isn't even a clear cut top 10 NFL starter.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tom Brady made what, like $15m last year? We've been debating whether this guy would be good value in the low 20m range?

This is insanity.

On what planet is this guy worth that kind of money? This isn't even a clear cut top 10 NFL starter.
I think Brady made around 18 last year. Would be awesome to have a QB willing to be that under paid though. His contract is way below market value.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Brady made around 18 last year. Would be awesome to have a QB willing to be that under paid though. His contract is way below market value.
You are really naïve if you think that Brady just sacrifices himself for the team.

It has been rumored for quite some time that Brady gets money funneled through his personal trainer and other methods.

Honestly, a guy like Kraft knows how to get it done.

This is a case where Jerry is not quite smart enough to do what he has to do.

And if the conspiracy theories don't mean much to you, well, Brady has a super model wife worth more than he could ever be.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

This is insanity.

He'll never see $40M from anyone. QBs who make north of $35M per year are expected to be good enough to make up for other shortcomings on the roster because their salaries typically make it hard to surround them with other high-priced, elite talent. $35 million per year QBs raise the level of play of everyone around them.....turning JAG receivers/TEs into productive players.

When has Dak every done anything like that? Hell, he's the exact opposite. The Cowboys have to surround him with top talent in order for him to perform at an above-average level. When the offense was missing Zeke and didn't have Amari Cooper, the Cowboys passing attack was raggedy and inconsistent.

Honestly I think $30M is more than generous given his mediocre production as a passer and inability to elevate the level of play of others around him.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Dak is worth, IMO, about 18-20 per ability wise.

Situation taken into account, I’d pay him 25-27 per.

If they end up cutting ties with Zeke before Dak’s deal gets done, that drastically lowers Dak’s value, in my eyes anyway.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are really naïve if you think that Brady just sacrifices himself for the team.

It has been rumored for quite some time that Brady gets money funneled through his personal trainer and other methods.

Honestly, a guy like Kraft knows how to get it done.

This is a case where Jerry is not quite smart enough to do what he has to do.

And if the conspiracy theories don't mean much to you, well, Brady has a super model wife worth more than he could ever be.
You know I was actually thinking about that yesterday. It's no different than college sports but a lot easier to cover up in the NFL since players are actually allowed to do stuff for money. It would be so easy to circumvent the cap and have someone pay Brady for something else.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Dak is worth, IMO, about 18-20 per ability wise.

Situation taken into account, I’d pay him 25-27 per.

If they end up cutting ties with Zeke before Dak’s deal gets done, that drastically lowers Dak’s value, in my eyes anyway.
When negotiations initially began, I thought he'd be in that $25M - $28M range. Which is where I still think he should be paid.

I hate the idea of paying QBs top 5 money just because "it's their turn".

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
When negotiations initially began, I thought he'd be in that $25M - $28M range. Which is where I still think he should be paid.

That’s my position as well.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

The thing is that "top 5 money" will be a sliding scale for a while. It just keeps going up.

Top Bottom