Prescott Contract Watch Thread...

p1_

DCC 4Life
Since he's supposed to be the leader, maybe the others see he's all about winning. Players with like mentality are more likely to want to play with him, kind of like happens with Brady. I've yet to hear "what a chump Brady, left 10million on the table"; and I'm not sure those players would be that great an addition, it is a team sport after all.
have you not heard the snippet where Dak says he doesnt have rich wife like Mrs Brady?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
have you not heard the snippet where Dak says he doesnt have rich wife like Mrs Brady?
Yeah but he sort of said something different at that home run derby recently. Something to the effect that it's all life changing money no matter what and he wants to be a Cowboy.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
4 million over 5 years is 20 million. That could be a significant player. But more importantly, it would show he cares about putting a good team around him to help him win. Fan adoration goes a long way toward the other options he has for earning more money in endorsements. Who doesn't think that could double his salary?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dak isn’t going to get a multimillion dollar shoe deal and he lacks the gift of gab to be a franchise spokesperson for anything else.

His salary will be his primary compensation... by far.

His deal is going to fuck us, and most likely Elliott as well.

Expect Cooper to sign for crazy money and then Dak to soak up the rest of the salary cap.

We’ll then have to choose between Zeke, Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith, or whichever other DB emerges in the secondary.

If Garrett can’t get us over the hump, we’ll need to pray for another crazy draft like 2016.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Signing Dak to a legit franchise QB deal is going to set this team back years.

Imo, you only give those deals to QBs who can carry an offense and make players around him better. We saw what the offense looks like without a premier wide out. Dak needs pieces around him to be a good player, you give him all that money and start shopping at the bargain bin to fill out the rest of the skill positions, you are asking for trouble.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Signing Dak to a legit franchise QB deal is going to set this team back years.

Imo, you only give those deals to QBs who can carry an offense and make players around him better. We saw what the offense looks like without a premier wide out. Dak needs pieces around him to be a good player, you give him all that money and start shopping at the bargain bin to fill out the rest of the skill positions, you are asking for trouble.
I actually agree with the premise of this statement. Ideally franchise QBs make others around them better but we've seen with Prescott that if he doesn't have elite talent around him, he looks very pedestrian. Whereas QBs the caliber of Romo can take a group of JAG receivers and still field a respectable offense.

Unfortunately not signing Prescott to an extension means the Cowboys would have to start all over and roll the dice at finding another QB. That could take years....and who knows what the roster looks like by the time they're finally able to land a pure passer.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Dak isn’t going to get a multimillion dollar shoe deal and he lacks the gift of gab to be a franchise spokesperson for anything else.
Off the top of your head, do you know of any NFL QBs who actually have shoe deals? Hell, there aren't many position players who actually have a notable shoe deal. NFL players don't move sports merchandise like NBA players.

From what I've seen NFL QBs usually endorse things like cars, electronics, fashion, and food. Dak is already checking those boxes.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Off the top of your head, do you know of any NFL QBs who actually have shoe deals? Hell, there aren't many position players who actually have a notable shoe deal. NFL players don't move sports merchandise like NBA players.

From what I've seen NFL QBs usually endorse things like cars, electronics, fashion, and food. Dak is already checking those boxes.
Of course, but only a shoe deal or major spokesperson gig could provide endorsement income on a level anywhere near his NFL salary.

And, as you agree, Dak ain’t getting either of those.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
The only endorsement deal I know of that he has is some yogurt, doubt it's substantial. Probably on par with his public notoriety nationally Texas still doesn't have an income tax, correct? That should be a perk.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I actually agree with the premise of this statement. Ideally franchise QBs make others around them better but we've seen with Prescott that if he doesn't have elite talent around him, he looks very pedestrian. Whereas QBs the caliber of Romo can take a group of JAG receivers and still field a respectable offense.

Unfortunately not signing Prescott to an extension means the Cowboys would have to start all over and roll the dice at finding another QB. That could take years....and who knows what the roster looks like by the time they're finally able to land a pure passer.
That’s why I don’t fault the front office. It’s probably the worst situation you can be in. You can’t let him walk, you just have to minimize the cap damage he’ll inflict.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We're going to be in fine shape cap wise even after extending Prescott (assuming 28-30 AAV), Elliott and Cooper (roughly 16-17 AAV each). We will most likely have to let Byron and La'el go, but neither of them are massive losses, and I'd even argue that we should let Collins go regardless because he kind of sucks. The key will be to keep drafting well and consistently re-stocking the ranks with guys like Gallup, Awuzie, Woods, Brown, etc.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Of course, but only a shoe deal or major spokesperson gig could provide endorsement income on a level anywhere near his NFL salary.

And, as you agree, Dak ain’t getting either of those.

ESPN reported in September 2017 that “No NFL player signed more endorsement dealsthis offseason than Dak Prescott.” The publication reported, “For his head, he has New Era caps and Beats by Dre headphones. For his appetite, he has Campbell’s Chunky Soup and Tostitos tortilla chips. For his thirst, he has Pepsi and 7-Eleven. For private travel, it’s Nicholas Air.” Additionally, he signed deals with AT&T, DirecTV, and card company Panini America.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/dak-prescott-net-worth.html/

p1_

DCC 4Life
ESPN reported in September 2017 that “No NFL player signed more endorsement dealsthis offseason than Dak Prescott.” The publication reported, “For his head, he has New Era caps and Beats by Dre headphones. For his appetite, he has Campbell’s Chunky Soup and Tostitos tortilla chips. For his thirst, he has Pepsi and 7-Eleven. For private travel, it’s Nicholas Air.” Additionally, he signed deals with AT&T, DirecTV, and card company Panini America.

touche' bro.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

And combined it’s all nowhere close to 30 million per year. He’s lucky if it’s 3.

There hasn’t been a Peyton who could become a legit front person for Gatorade, Papa Johns, DirecTv, and Nationwide insurance all on national TV all at the same time and for multiple years. Those national campaigns are worth a crap ton of cash. He earned over 150 million in endorsements total. Dak’s endorsements are miniscule by comparison.

Aikman had LA Gear for several years. Brady barely had national ads (Dodge Dart?). Romo represented Starter, and never as part of national campaigns. All did the same kind of stuff Dak is doing.

It’s chump change next to the Brinks truck the Joneses are prepared to dump on his lawn.

shoop

Semi-contributing member

Tony Romo-starter
Tom Brady and Cam Newton-Under Armour
Drew Brees and OBJ-Nike

none of these are on the level of what basketball players get in shoe deals.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And combined it’s all nowhere close to 30 million per year. He’s lucky if it’s 3.

There hasn’t been a Peyton who could become a legit front person for Gatorade, Papa Johns, DirecTv, and Nationwide insurance all on national TV all at the same time and for multiple years. Those national campaigns are worth a crap ton of cash. He earned over 150 million in endorsements total. Dak’s endorsements are miniscule by comparison.

Aikman had LA Gear for several years. Brady barely had national ads (Dodge Dart?). Romo represented Starter, and never as part of national campaigns. All did the same kind of stuff Dak is doing.

It’s chump change next to the Brinks truck the Joneses are prepared to dump on his lawn.
But why is 30 million the criteria? Nobody is saying he should take 750,000 and live off endorsements.

He's among the biggest endorsers in the league in large part because he's QB of the cowboys, already. If he wins a championship it'll go through the stratosphere. But even if nothing changes I'd guess that he can more than make up in endorsements for taking a few million less in salary. And if it helps him win, he'll make up for it in spades.

He doesn't need to make 30 million in endorsements to make taking a few million less to be here worth it. Not sure why you keep throwing that number out there.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dak Prescott submits counteroffer to Dallas Cowboys
By Jeremy Bergman

Around The NFL Writer

It's time for our weekly Dak Prescott extension negotiations update.

Bulletin: They're going well.

That's the word from Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who spoke to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport at the Spring League Meeting in Key Biscayne, Fla., on Wednesday.

"I'd generally say going well," Jones said of talks with his franchise quarterback. "These things never have a definitive answer. Because you never know if you've done it until you've done it."

Prescott is entering the final season of his rookie contract and is reportedly targeting a extension worth at least $30 million per year.

Jones added to Rapoport that Dallas has also begun negotiations with running back Ezekiel Elliottand "others."

The owner's comments come after Prescott told NFL Network's Jane Slater that he and his team have submitted a counteroffer to the Cowboys.

"I can't really say on that. It's one from each side," Prescott said of how close the two sides were on compensation. "So yeah, it's my first time doing this. Ask me in a few years and I'll know I'll be able to tell you we sent this one, they sent this one, we're about to get it done. But right now, I'm learning the process too and letting my team handle their business.

Prescott, Elliott and linebacker Jaylon Smith aren't the only Cowboys stars, after DeMarcus Lawrence, to warrant big extensions this offseason. In the last year of his rookie deal, Amari Cooper is also an extension candidate.

Dak said he doesn't know where Cooper and the Cowboys are in negotiations, adding, "I just hope he's catching the balls I throw."

p1_

DCC 4Life
But why is 30 million the criteria? Nobody is saying he should take 750,000 and live off endorsements.

He's among the biggest endorsers in the league in large part because he's QB of the cowboys, already. If he wins a championship it'll go through the stratosphere. But even if nothing changes I'd guess that he can more than make up in endorsements for taking a few million less in salary. And if it helps him win, he'll make up for it in spades.

He doesn't need to make 30 million in endorsements to make taking a few million less to be here worth it. Not sure why you keep throwing that number out there.
30M/year is what he's gonna get paid by Jerry.

Top Bottom