Prescott Contract Watch Thread...

lostxn

DCC 4Life
They're talking 30 million per year. I just don't think he's that good.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
They're talking 30 million per year. I just don't think he's that good.
Go look at all of the salaries, though. Carr and Garrapolo are getting 27. They have made such a deal with the Wilson comparison and he is getting 35.

Meanwhile Brady don't give a shit and just keeps winning Super Bowls.

It's getting out of hand. 3 players and your team is having to hit the bargain bin to fill the other 50 spots.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's getting out of hand. 3 players and your team is having to hit the bargain bin to fill the other 50 spots.
At some point QBs are going to outpace their value and some team is going to realize they are better off going cheap and young at QB as opposed to paying most their cap to the 15th best QB in the NFL.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
And he's making millions in endorsements I'm sure.

It's good to be the QB.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It sucks for the cap, but you're going to have to pay the man.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It sucks for the cap, but you're going to have to pay the man.
Yeah it sucks but the other option is to start fresh, tank and burn a first round pick on the position. We don't do anything in free agency anyway so as long as we keep being able to stock the roster through the draft all is good.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah it sucks but the other option is to start fresh, tank and burn a first round pick on the position. We don't do anything in free agency anyway so as long as we keep being able to stock the roster through the draft all is good.
I don't think starting over is even an option. Just pay the man.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I just read an article about how Cooper's contract demands are astronomical. Beckham money, he wants. And Prescott wants the moon too - over $30 million. And you have the Elliott extension looming. Then Jaylon Smith and Vander Esche after that. Byron Jones doesn't stand a chance.

I have to say, I really think giving all that money to Lawrence, might have been better off if we could have gotten that deal from the Chiefs and rolled his money over.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don't think starting over is even an option. Just pay the man.
No way Jerry would be on board with starting over at his age

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Either contract demands need to be lower or cap needs to be raised in accordance to demand going up. Either way it just means ticket prices go up.

One guys seat for a season for the Rangers cost him 65 per game this year but the seat next year for the new stadium is 400 per game. This is what we are going to see going forward. Just disgusting.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That's why this year needs to be the year. Dak is going to get PAID and all these other guys will want theirs, too. Besides the cap issues, egos are going to get involved -- probably with Zeke -- and that's always bad news.

Still can't believe paying all our top players is such an issue and we can't even get past the wild card round.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If you look at our cap situation we're in a pretty good spot overall, even if you factor in Prescott at about 28, Cooper at about 17, and Elliott/Jaylon at 16. The core of our OL is locked up long-term at reasonable rates and we have several starters like Gallup, Williams and probably McGovern all locked up on rookie deals for a few years. Guys like Byron, Collins and Crawford are all top 10 cap hits in 2019 and can be replaced relatively easily. Then you're left with a group of guys like Awuzie, Woods, Anthony Brown and Maliek Collins who will be UFA's, bring back some at reasonable ~8 per year deals, let others go, and keep trucking along.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you look at our cap situation we're in a pretty good spot overall, even if you factor in Prescott at about 28, Cooper at about 17, and Elliott/Jaylon at 16. The core of our OL is locked up long-term at reasonable rates and we have several starters like Gallup, Williams and probably McGovern all locked up on rookie deals for a few years. Guys like Byron, Collins and Crawford are all top 10 cap hits in 2019 and can be replaced relatively easily. Then you're left with a group of guys like Awuzie, Woods, Anthony Brown and Maliek Collins who will be UFA's, bring back some at reasonable ~8 per year deals, let others go, and keep trucking along.
When you think about it just letting Crawford and Collins walk in free agency clears up enough cap space to sign Zeke or Cooper plus some. And the cap is going to continue to increase as always. These contracts can all be fit under the cap. We just won't have money to go out and get big name free agents which we don't do any ways. It's funny because guys like Frederick contract seemed huge at the time of signing. But now it seems like a bargain for an elite probowl center. That's just how the NFL works. As soon as a guy signs a contract usually in a few years if he is still playing at a high level the contract becomes a bargain.

And no signing Lawrence wasn't a bad thing in terms of cap. We literally have no big contracts on defense. You have to figure the one spot worth spending money on that side of the ball would be at DE. It's probably the most important position on any defense. And by the time Vander Esch is done with the next 4 years of his contract a guy like Lawrence might be on his way out anyway. We really must have one of the cheapest defenses in the NFL.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We have quite literally $104 million in cap space in 2021, and that's not including rises in the cap, which should account for at least $15-20 in more space, and whatever we roll over (almost $12 million this year from 2018). Being conservative, we should be looking at at least $120 million in cap space. Let's be aggressive and say Dak (30), Cooper (18), Elliott (17) and Jaylon (17) all have high cap hits that year and you're still looking at $38 million in cap space. That's plenty to fill in the roster and re-sign a couple guys like Woods and Awuzie. The key, of course, is to continue to restock the roster through the draft.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The thing that really sucks about this whole Prescott thing is the Cowboys never got the benefit of taking full advantage of Dak's cheap contract because Romo's contract has always been on the books handicapping them. Teams like the Eagles and Seahawks were able to spend a ton of money on other areas of their roster because they were getting great production from QBs being paid minimal dollars. Dallas on the other hand has spent the better part of the last few years shopping at the bargain bin.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's why this year needs to be the year. Dak is going to get PAID and all these other guys will want theirs, too. Besides the cap issues, egos are going to get involved -- probably with Zeke -- and that's always bad news.

Still can't believe paying all our top players is such an issue and we can't even get past the wild card round.
Unfortunately this is the curse of being "America's Team."

Overexposure means we pay premium prices (as we also get more than our fair share of Pro Bowl selections), cause our guys all will get like a 10-20% boost on contract values than if they were coming out of say, Buffalo.

I am fully in favor of scrapping the NFL's hard cap at this point. I think it's better for everyone to have a better ability to keep the guys you draft, but selfishly, I think it's nothing but a detriment to the way the Dallas Cowboys do business now and for the foreseeable future with the way Stephen is. We don't spend on free agency anyway, so why do I need a market with more impact free agents hitting it? I'd rather the ability to resign the guys we are drafting at least.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Unfortunately this is the curse of being "America's Team."

Overexposure means we pay premium prices (as we also get more than our fair share of Pro Bowl selections), cause our guys all will get like a 10-20% boost on contract values than if they were coming out of say, Buffalo.

I am fully in favor of scrapping the NFL's hard cap at this point. I think it's better for everyone to have a better ability to keep the guys you draft, but selfishly, I think it's nothing but a detriment to the way the Dallas Cowboys do business now and for the foreseeable future with the way Stephen is. We don't spend on free agency anyway, so why do I need a market with more impact free agents hitting it? I'd rather the ability to resign the guys we are drafting at least.
Agreed.

I've said it a few times before. Give me a system that rewards you for drafting well rather than the current one that rewards incompetence.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The thing that really sucks about this whole Prescott thing is the Cowboys never got the benefit of taking full advantage of Dak's cheap contract because Romo's contract has always been on the books handicapping them. Teams like the Eagles and Seahawks were able to spend a ton of money on other areas of their roster because they were getting great production from QBs being paid minimal dollars. Dallas on the other hand has spent the better part of the last few years shopping at the bargain bin.
That was because they had to dig out from the hole they put themselves in by kicking the can with the contracts like Romo, Witten, etc.

It is one thing to pay big contracts, it is another to use them to mortgage the future and create tons of dead money.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I've said it a few times before. Give me a system that rewards you for drafting well rather than the current one that rewards incompetence.
You're still rewarded for drafting well, though.

Personally I'd rather not see a soft cap like the NBA where you get into a bunch of trades based on dumping bad contracts, etc.

Bottom line, this team has more than enough talent to win it all right now.

Top Bottom