Prescott Contract Watch Thread...

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Dak is going to get at least 28, more likely he gets 30. It's just what the current market is.
Correct and in a few years that will be on the low end....

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dak is going to get at least 28, more likely he gets 30. It's just what the current market is.
It’s the current market for top QBs. I don’t think Prescott is there yet. I think he will get what everything everyone thinks he will for myself I wouldn’t pay it. That is what I think but again he will probably get that amount. Never said he wouldn’t. Only said I wouldn’t offer it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Um Matthew Stafford? When has that guy done anything?

And how many of them not on a rookie contract make 20 mil or less next year? The answer is none of them. You really must not understand how this works.

Maybe we should just sign Landry Jones :lol
Okay. I put him in the mix because he is getting top range pay but the question asked which would you take over Prescott and you say you wouldn’t take Sanford. That’s fine. I assume you would then take any of the rest over Prescott.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
It’s the current market for top QBs. I don’t think Prescott is there yet. I think he will get what everything everyone thinks he will for myself I wouldn’t pay it. That is what I think but again he will probably get that amount. Never said he wouldn’t. Only said I wouldn’t offer it.
So Garrapolo is a top notch QB? He is getting 28. Its the position thats getting paid. Not the talent. Dak is going to get 28-30. Its just where the market is for new contracts.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Then you really don't have any idea how the league operates.

I don't like the idea of Prescott eating up that kind of space. But I understand that he has all the leverage. Both of our idiot power players have been very transparent about him getting paid. 20M a year is like a contract from five years ago or where the owner funnels money to the player's shell corporation, like Kraft does with Brady.
You are turning this discussion into a direction I haven’t taken. I am not taking on a debate about how the league does or doesn’t operate. Prescott probably will get what everyone thinks he will. I simply say I don’t think he is at that level and I personally wouldn’t pay it. It’s a simple issue of what I think of him as a quarterback currently. I think there is a chance he will get to that level but he isn’t there now and in my opinion I don’t think I would pay him a a top level league performer. That’s a personal opinion not an analysis of how the league works. I believe he will get it because of the way the league works but if it were my dime I wouldn’t do it. He isn’t on the top yet. He just happened to fall into a position that will get it for him but not because he belongs there. One man’s opinion who also is pulling for Dak.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Does anyone give a shit that Dak has seriously outplayed his draft position? And that he's been paid a pittance for the 3 years? We've gotten a bargain beyond expectation.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Does anyone give a shit that Dak has seriously outplayed his draft position? And that he's been paid a pittance for the 3 years? We've gotten a bargain beyond expectation.
I suppose I do. The thing is, we haven't been able to put together a championship team with Dak on a cheap rookie deal. Now that he'll be counting at least $30 mill from here on out, I'll put the chances close to zero.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I suppose I do. The thing is, we haven't been able to put together a championship team with Dak on a cheap rookie deal. Now that he'll be counting at least $30 mill from here on out, I'll put the chances close to zero.
What's going to be the difference? We didn't sign star free agents then and we won't now. We will still keep our star players no matter what even if we have to charge the credit cards and we will continie to build through the draft. So I guess I don't see the difference for Dallas at least.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
As long as Dak continues to improve it doesn't matter that we didn't cash in during his first three seasons.

Best case scenario: Russell Wilson. Worst case scenario: he flatlines and we're forced to endure the next four years hoping for a puncher's chance at greatness (again). But I don't think we're there, and most of you would agree.

Seahawks and Pats were the luckiest as their star QBs were already champions before signing for big money.

I'm just glad we have someone better than Clint Stoerner, Chad Hutchinson, Quincy Carter, Drew Henson, Anthony Wright, or Ryan Leaf.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The interesting thing about our cap situation is that some of our top cap hits last year were guys like Sean Lee, Tyrone Crawford, La'el Collins, Cole Beasley and Byron Jones. We can move on from all of those guys very easily, and I doubt any of them are on the team by the 2021 season.

We also have the majority of the core locked up (Smith, Martin, Frederick, Lawrence), while a guy like Cooper already has a big cap charge in 2019 (14 million), and we have massive amounts of cap space in 2020 and 2021.

We will lose a handful of guys like a Maliek Collins or Anthony Brown, on top of Byron Jones and La'el Collins, but the core of what we have now can easily be retained (if they haven't been already) and as long as we continue to draft nearly as well as we have over the last 5 years there shouldn't be much of a drop off.

Losing guys like Byron Jones and La'el Collins means pretty much nothing to me. Jones was an average to above average player until he fell into a perfect scheme fit (a scheme that is very easy to find CB's for mind you) and Collins is legitimately just an average player.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The important thing is to keep drafting well. The Seahawks are Russell Wilson and a bunch of nobodies because they have shit away draft picks. As long as Dallas continues to draft well and not piss away picks they will be good. Like I said we never spend in free agency anyway so it's not like we are suddenly going to stock the team with free agent talent if we have cap space.

GShock

DCC 4Life
As long as Dak continues to improve it doesn't matter that we didn't cash in during his first three seasons.

Best case scenario: Russell Wilson. Worst case scenario: he flatlines and we're forced to endure the next four years hoping for a puncher's chance at greatness (again). But I don't think we're there, and most of you would agree.

Seahawks and Pats were the luckiest as their star QBs were already champions before signing for big money.

I'm just glad we have someone better than Clint Stoerner, Chad Hutchinson, Quincy Carter, Drew Henson, Anthony Wright, or Ryan Leaf.
And let's not forget that when we were looking at QBs in the same draft we got Dak, we were sold on Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook.

Imagine that for a post-Romo era.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
And let's not forget that when we were looking at QBs in the same draft we got Dak, we were sold on Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook.

Of course we would probably have gotten rid of Garrett already if either of those had been the choice....

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Finding Dak + Keeping Garrett >>>>> Endless losers + Unknown New Jones Puppet Coach Because They Know Better Doncha Know

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Had we drafted Cook or Lynch I don't think we'd be in the post Romo era yet.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Very interested in where he came in at in terms of money.

Top Bottom