Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prescott Contract Watch Thread...

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by 1bigfan13 View Post

    When negotiations initially began, I thought he'd be in that $25M - $28M range. Which is where I still think he should be paid.

    I hate the idea of paying QBs top 5 money just because "it's their turn".
    Unfortunately top 5 QB money is now in the 36+ mil per season range. Wilson set that standard. That's where the top QBs will be paid. So 32 mil is no longer what I would consider tier one QB money.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by boozeman View Post

      The thing is that "top 5 money" will be a sliding scale for a while. It just keeps going up.
      Exactly. We are just shocked by the number because its new. 2 years from now we will be talking about the guy getting 50.
      #Fire Garrett

      Comment


      • Mahomes and Luck will almost certainly eclipse Wilson within the next 2 years, Goff probably will as well and I think it's at least a coin toss that Watson and Mayfield will get more than 35 as well if they continue on the path they're on. So if we can get Dak done at roughly 32 AAV I'd imagine he'll be somewhere around the 8th-10th highest paid QB in a few years.

        With that said, the franchise tag in 2020 is almost certainly going to be somewhere in the 32-33 range so there's honestly no point to giving him 34 or 35 or whatever right now. Might as well just hold firm on ~32, franchise him if he doesn't take it, and if he tears it up over the next year or two then you can feel comfortable giving him 36-37 or whatever, and if he doesn't, you can still probably get him for 32-34 and if he really tanks you're saving yourself from a big mistake.

        32 AAV is more than fair right now and if he wants to play hard ball and bet on himself, so be it. Give us a Super Bowl or turn into an MVP candidate and nobody is going to bat an eye at 35+ AAV.

        Comment


        • Iíd be perfectly fine with giving him top 5 money if he performed like a top 5 QB.

          Heís not that good, heís not even close to turning into that guy. Heís a pro, heís a really good leader, heís a pretty damn good football player, I just canít wrap my head around him being paid along the lines of guys who have won SBs and guys that put teams on their back and keep them relevant even when the team surrounding them arenít that good.

          Pay the man fairly, but donít handicap your team, youíre going to need the precious cap space to put pieces around the guy.

          Anything over $28mil per is insane. I canít even believe Iím saying Dak Prescott should make $28mil per. Itís like paying supreme price for unleaded gas.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Sheik View Post
            Iíd be perfectly fine with giving him top 5 money if he performed like a top 5 QB.

            Heís not that good, heís not even close to turning into that guy. Heís a pro, heís a really good leader, heís a pretty damn good football player, I just canít wrap my head around him being paid along the lines of guys who have won SBs and guys that put teams on their back and keep them relevant even when the team surrounding them arenít that good.

            Pay the man fairly, but donít handicap your team, youíre going to need the precious cap space to put pieces around the guy.

            Anything over $28mil per is insane. I canít even believe Iím saying Dak Prescott should make $28mil per. Itís like paying supreme price for unleaded gas.
            I'm pretty sure most will agree with you but its just the price you pay for that position. Somebody will pay him that and then we are looking at Rush or White in a couple of years? Its just a number shock right now and in a few years 30 will be the new 20.
            #Fire Garrett

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Rev View Post

              I'm pretty sure most will agree with you but its just the price you pay for that position. Somebody will pay him that and then we are looking at Rush or White in a couple of years? Its just a number shock right now and in a few years 30 will be the new 20.
              Very true.

              Comment


              • Theoretically I'd consider the idea of tanking if someone were willing to toss us a 1st and change for Prescott because this year's QB class should be very good, but ultimately all we'd really be doing is wasting the prime years of a very talented roster in the hopes of recreating a similar window to what we have right now.

                Comment


                • Let him play out this year and if all things go well, we can franchise him for the following year for around $28 per. 2 more years of sample data before making an awful cap contract

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by bkeavs View Post
                    Let him play out this year and if all things go well, we can franchise him for the following year for around $28 per. 2 more years of sample data before making an awful cap contract
                    Sounds good. Nothing says the organization has to sign him right away. The question might be what if he joined Zeke on the sofa. The season would be flushed.
                    Since Day One

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by L.T. Fan View Post

                      Sounds good. Nothing says the organization has to sign him right away. The question might be what if he joined Zeke on the sofa. The season would be flushed.
                      But heís not, which might be more intriguing
                      defense wins championships

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by p1_ View Post

                        But heís not, which might be more intriguing
                        Yep, that will be a good story also.
                        Since Day One

                        Comment


                        • It goes without saying that the season goes down the shittter if Dak sits. Who knows, Zeke may very well sit this one out as well.
                          But for once I absolutely agree with and support the Jones boys. Stephen made it clear that we have a team to keep together. And I like seeing him play hardball with these guys wanting cap-killiing contracts.

                          Comment


                          • Ever notice how his defenders call him a "winner" but not an "elite, franchise quarterback"?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by bbgun View Post
                              Ever notice how his defenders call him a "winner" but not an "elite, franchise quarterback"?
                              That's exactly what they say! He has a good regular season record and one wildcard win. Pair that with 22-23 TD throws per season, and you get an average/below average QB. If I'm paying my franchise qb big money, I want him to give me more than that. I also want him to win with his arm as well.

                              Comment


                              • Sturm is right, they should have handled this shit in the offseason.

                                What a circus, just like Jerry likes it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X