Watkins: Q&A - Will McClay talks Cowboys draft picks, philosophy and more

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
But all of those in this group are starters.
You think all 64 starting safeties in the NFL deserve to be starting? Heath is second to the worst among all starting safeties. It's not that huge of a leap to go from worst starting safety in the league to "he shouldn't be starting".

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Why don’t we just Agee to disagree and keep our opinions as just that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Just give Eric Berry 1 year/10 million and roll the dice, why the hell not?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesnt matter. They recognized his talents.
So last year starting when he stunk doesn't matter?

So your defense is that a homer piece written before he stunk last year is why you think he should continue starting? You're losing it.

By the way if you want an objective view of his 2017 season, which seems to be what your puff piece is talking about. He is an objective view:

Pro Football Focus ranked Heath 56th of 58 safeties who played 50% or more of their team’s snaps when it came to run stop percentage. That’s the amount of plays where a tackle was able to keep the offense from gaining the necessary yardage to consider a run play a success.

His tackling efficiency ranked him No. 42, including eight missed tackles. Heath ranked No. 29 in coverage, allowing one reception every 21.1 snaps in coverage.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So last year starting when he stunk doesn't matter?

So your defense is that a homer piece written before he stunk last year is why you think he should continue starting? You're losing it.

By the way if you want an objective view of his 2017 season, which seems to be what your puff piece is talking about. He is an objective view:

Pro Football Focus ranked Heath 56th of 58 safeties who played 50% or more of their team’s snaps when it came to run stop percentage. That’s the amount of plays where a tackle was able to keep the offense from gaining the necessary yardage to consider a run play a success.

His tackling efficiency ranked him No. 42, including eight missed tackles. Heath ranked No. 29 in coverage, allowing one reception every 21.1 snaps in coverage.
As I have said on more than one occasion, it’s my opinion and I think I am entitled to it . If you don’t agree that’s just fine you are entitled to yours. In the meantime the guy you abhor will probably start with the Cowboys again and I will enjoy his hustle and grit. Probably while you anguish again. There is still a few months for the Cowboys to look for a replacement amongst the TC fodder thought but who knows stranger things have happened. Above all keep up those prayers :towel

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I have said on more than one occasion, it’s my opinion and I think I am entitled to it . If you don’t agree that’s just fine you are entitled to yours. In the meantime the guy you abhor will probably start with the Cowboys again and I will enjoy his hustle and grit. Probably while you anguish again. There is still a few months for the Cowboys to look for a replacement amongst the TC fodder thought but who knows stranger things have happened. Above all keep up those prayers :towel
I know and you will be fine with every missed tackle and blown play. You're an interesting fella.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
A Jeff Heath hill is a sad hill to take a stand on.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I know and you will be fine with every missed tackle and blown play. You're an interesting fella.
No I won’t be fine with it but it’s not like he is an exclusive at making mistakes. Just go back to last seasons post on the Cowboys game post and read all the moaning and groan about the players and their performers and you wont find a that he is the only whipping boy on the team. The pissing and moaning is continual from the kickoff until the final whistle. Heath won’t be there nearly as much as others.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No I won’t be fine with it but it’s not like he is an exclusive at making mistakes. Just go back to last seasons post on the Cowboys game post and read all the moaning and groan about the players and their performers and you wont find a that he is the only whipping boy on the team. The pissing and moaning is continual from the kickoff until the final whistle. Heath won’t be there nearly as much as others.
Who is worse in your opinion?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think I get more worked up about the good players that can’t seem to play by the rules and end up with continual suspensions, etc. I have little patiences for talented players who can’t live by the rules.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Literally is there are worse starter on the roster?
Antuan Woods, Joe Looney, Blake Jarwin, Damien Wilson were all equivalent in 2018 and certainly no better. Tyrone Crawford is marginally better, and it’s a small margin.

Heath does his job and he is consistent.

He’s replaceable for sure, but he’s nowhere near the liability the average DT’s are.

This defensive design fricking *emphasizes* the 3T, and we have been shyte at the position for years! The strong safety is a non-playmaker in this same format by comparison.

It’s critical to have talent at the defense’s point of emphasis, would you at least agree with that?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Antuan Woods, Joe Looney, Blake Jarwin, Damien Wilson were all equivalent in 2018 and certainly no better. Tyrone Crawford is marginally better, and it’s a small margin.

Heath does his job and he is consistent.

He’s replaceable for sure, but he’s nowhere near the liability the average DT’s are.
Not really true. Woods was way better. Jarwin was also better. His PFF score makes him like the 25th best TE in the NFL. Damien Wilson wasn't a starter. He played too few snaps.

Joe Looney is the only one to really argue. But they were pretty similar. Looney graded out as basically a high end backup. To be fair though unlike Heath that's what he is. Frederick getting hurt is the only reason he started.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Not really true. Woods was way better. Jarwin was also better. His PFF score makes him like the 25th best TE in the NFL. Damien Wilson wasn't a starter. He played too few snaps.

Joe Looney is the only one to really argue. But they were pretty similar. Looney graded out as basically a high end backup. To be fair though unlike Heath that's what he is. Frederick getting hurt is the only reason he started.
All good and arguable points, but saying someone is “way better” just because isn’t much in the way of evidence btw.

The point is why is Crawford a starter at the go-to position of the defense? I care a whole lot less if we have a backup-quality guy starting at what’s probably the defense’s least important position.

Heath was third on the team in tackles behind LVE and Smith— exactly where he should be— and he even got a pick (more than Byron Jones).

He did his job. Crawford did not.

p1_

DCC 4Life
All good and arguable points, but saying someone is “way better” just because isn’t much in the way of evidence btw.

The point is why is Crawford a starter at the go-to position of the defense? I care a whole lot less if we have a backup-quality guy starting at what’s probably the defense’s least important position.

Heath was third on the team in tackles behind LVE and Smith— exactly where he should be— and he even got a pick (more than Byron Jones).

He did his job. Crawford did not.
Heath would be fine if he didn't take so many bad angles and get caught out of position so much.

Top Bottom