Watkins: Q&A - Will McClay talks Cowboys draft picks, philosophy and more

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The whole point is at least he has some plays to his credit and doesn’t take plays off.

What can we say about Crawford really since that stretch back in 2014?
5.5 sacks isn't great but it's not exactly nothing for a DT either. The guy does get in the backfield some.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I disagree. He isn't better than I depict. The stats backup the fact that he is a #3 level safety and shouldn't be starting. If PFF ranks him in the 80's it makes him a borderline 3 to 4 safety.
But he is starting and just maybe the folks that put him there know something about football that we don’t. Is that a possibility?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But he is starting and just maybe the folks that put him there know something about football that we don’t. Is that a possibility?
That they have no other options? Except George Illoka?

Or are you talking about how Marinelli doesn't value safeties?

Dallas is well aware Heath needs upgraded. Its why they offered a second round pick for Thomas last year. It's why they scouted all the top safeties heavily. They recognize the problem but don't ever seem to actually pull off the move.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That they have no other options? Except George Illoka?

Or are you talking about how Marinelli doesn't value safeties?

Dallas is well aware Heath needs upgraded. Its why they offered a second round pick for Thomas last year. It's why they scouted all the top safeties heavily. They recognize the problem but don't ever seem to actually pull off the move.
How strange they just completed a draft and couldn’t find someone who was better. Makes you wonder how pressing the matter really is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How strange they just completed a draft and couldn’t find someone who was better. Makes you wonder how pressing the matter really is.
Our sixth round pick might be better. That's not a compliment to the sixth round pick. Shit I think Illoka could be better than Heath. We wanted lots pf safeties in the draft. But we just had to have Hill more for some reason. And we wanted Will Harris in the third but he didn't make it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Our sixth round pick might be better. That's not a compliment to the sixth round pick. Shit I think Illoka could be better than Heath. We wanted lots pf safeties in the draft. But we just had to have Hill more for some reason. And we wanted Will Harris in the third but he didn't make it.
So you think Donavon Hill May be better and will surplant Heath?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So you think Donavon Hill May be better and will surplant Heath?
Wrong guy, LT. He was talking about taking the DT in the second over a safety.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Wrong guy, LT. He was talking about taking the DT in the second over a safety.
I understand but I am still coming from what the Cowboys mindset is regarding Heath. They made no serious adjustments during the draft and the only safety they drafted was the A&M kid. So is he the one who is going to replace Heath? Otherwise unless they do something between now and the season it looks like they are content to stay with Heath.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I understand but I am still coming from what the Cowboys mindset is regarding Heath. They made no serious adjustments during the draft and the only safety they drafted was the A&M kid. So is he the one who is going to replace Heath? Otherwise unless they do something between now and the season it looks like they are content to stay with Heath.
Im not Nostradamus, but I get the feeling that the expectation is along the lines of Iloka outplaying Heath and taking much of his reps. Prior to last season, I think Iloka is clearly a better player. Now, if there's something wrong with him and that's why he had such a strange year in Minnesota, then no, he wont overtake Heath. Otherwise, I think we're due for a big dose of George. This, while we see if the A and M kid brings something to the party.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They believe they can survive with Heath. They did it last year. And sure, they can survive with Heath. Other guys just have to pick up the slack. Like they did all season last year. That doesn't mean Heath is a starting caliber safety. He isn't. There are more than 64 safeties better than him in the NFL. Meaning he shouldn't start.

I just pray Iloka wins the job.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They believe they can survive with Heath. They did it last year. And sure, they can survive with Heath. Other guys just have to pick up the slack. Like they did all season last year. That doesn't mean Heath is a starting caliber safety. He isn't. There are more than 64 safeties better than him in the NFL. Meaning he shouldn't start.

I just pray Illoka wins the job.
So far your prayers have gone unanswered. You may have to resort to altering the prayer to something creating a serious injury to Heath. :art:art:art :pitchfork

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far your prayers have gone unanswered. You may have to resort to altering the prayer to something creating a serious injury to Heath. :art:art:art :pitchfork
Nah I don't hate him in that fashion. As I've said, he is fine as your third or fourth safety on the roster.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Good lord, this is a dumb argument. I don't know how you can watch Heath play and think he is a starting caliber player on this team.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I wouldn't go by what the Cowboys mindset is. This is a team that hasn't done anything in almost 20+ years. Evidently their mindset is what not to do and insisting that Heath is a starting quality safety is one of those. Ok depth but thats it for him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Heath is not as bad as some are depicting him to be. He makes mistakes but he also makes plays. He has speed and tackles pretty good. All players have shortcomings and that is just part of playing the game. Those that are so sure about what his evaluation should be are imposing their opinion ahead of the professional staff on the Cowboys and feeling justified in doing so.

My opinion about him is favorable but that isn’t what’s important. He has earned a spot on the lineup and the organization seems to think he is ok there. That alone makes him a valuable member of the team. You can continue to differ about what his evaluation should be and that the Cowboys staff is completely in error about him but he is there and to differ with that position is a subjective determination not based on what his current circumstances seem to indicate.

If and when the organization pulls the plug on him then we can all say he is not what he needs to be but at the moment he is a starter and that is the deemed to be by most standards a determination of a players value.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If and when the organization pulls the plug on him then we can all say he is not what he needs to be but at the moment he is a starter and that is the deemed to be by most standards a determination of a players value.
So your theory is that no one can question the talent of any NFL player who starts? This might be the silliest argument you could make. There are lots of teams forced to start guys who aren't starting quality. Jeff Heath being one of them.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jeff Heath:

Heath missed 13 tackles in the run game per Pro Football Focus, the most among any safety, then chipped in another six misses in the passing game.

His tackling efficiency among those who played at least 535 defensive snaps was the second-worst in all of football, 63rd out of 64 eligible players.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...erback-safety/

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So your theory is that no one can question the talent of any NFL player who starts? This might be the silliest argument you could make. There are lots of teams forced to start guys who aren't starting quality. Jeff Heath being one of them.
Not my theory at all. My theory is if you have an opinion you should be able to substantiate it above what the current group tha differ with you. So far I haven’t see anyone’s credentials that are legitimately regarded to be above the professionals that apparently have a different opinion.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jeff Heath:

Heath missed 13 tackles in the run game per Pro Football Focus, the most among any safety, then chipped in another six misses in the passing game.

His tackling efficiency among those who played at least 535 defensive snaps was the second-worst in all of football, 63rd out of 64 eligible players.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...erback-safety/
But all of those in this group are starters.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not my theory at all. My theory is if you have an opinion you should be able to substantiate it above what the current group tha differ with you. So far I haven’t see anyone’s credentials that are legitimately regarded to be above the professionals that apparently have a different opinion.
Pro Football Forcus has his score as the 81st best safety in the NFL last year. That holds far more credence then the concept that every starter in the NFL belongs a starter because their teams deemed it so.

Top Bottom