Watkins: Q&A - Will McClay talks Cowboys draft picks, philosophy and more

p1_

DCC 4Life
Heath has value on special teams, he and Kavon both.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Heath played over 97% of the snaps last year, he has been 2nd on the defense in snaps played in 2017 and 2018. We have had good to very good defenses with him playing extremely high snaps, he's not useless, he's just not what you ideally want as a starter. He's an excellent 3rd safety.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Heath played over 97% of the snaps last year, he has been 2nd on the defense in snaps played in 2017 and 2018. We have had good to very good defenses with him playing extremely high snaps, he's not useless, he's just not what you ideally want as a starter. He's an excellent 3rd safety.
People have obsessed on the position since the Thomas rumors. Once a hot model seriously flirts with you it can be harder to accept your plain Jane girlfriend.

An upgrade at safety is hard to compare with one at 3T.

I don’t understand how we could forget the clear need at 3T we’ve had since La’roi Glover or maybe one season with Jason Hatcher. And in those years we sucked everywhere else.

Heath isn’t special, but he gets the job done. If Hill is better than Crawford, the impact is far greater than any one of the 2nd round safeties over Heath would have been.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If Hill is better than Crawford, the impact is far greater than any one of the 2nd round safeties over Heath would have been.
I think that's similar to the logic they seemed to use in deciding which way to go when on the clock.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I agree. Heath is a very servicable player and one that is better than some and not as good as a few. I dare say he could start on half of the teams.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
People have obsessed on the position since the Thomas rumors. Once a hot model seriously flirts with you it can be harder to accept your plain Jane girlfriend.

An upgrade at safety is hard to compare with one at 3T.

I don’t understand how we could forget the clear need at 3T we’ve had since La’roi Glover or maybe one season with Jason Hatcher. And in those years we sucked everywhere else.

Heath isn’t special, but he gets the job done. If Hill is better than Crawford, the impact is far greater than any one of the 2nd round safeties over Heath would have been.
That's not really true though. If Hill is only very slightly better than Crawford but Thornhill is light years better than Heath than you're wrong. At least in the immediate future. But let's be real. Crawford is a better D-lineman than Heath is a safety. I'm not a big fan of Crawford but he is at least viewed as a solid player. Heath is a liability. Granted he might be our only real liability on starting defense which is why the unit can still be really good even though he isn't. But let's be real, Crawford would not be out of a job long if cut. Can you say the same thing about Heath?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Heath was not a liability overall last season, critical mistake against LA aside.

He was just average, and absolutely comparable to anything Xavier Woods did. He’s grown to be capable, and you can never fault his effort (unlike Taco). The guy hustles and makes surprising splash plays here and there. He flat out won the Oakland game in 2017.

I wish Crawford had even one signature play I can remember like that. His entire net worth is based on a stretch of decent play in 2014 and he’s declined since then (while Heath has improved).

Interior defense starts up front (period), and Collins, Crawford, and Antuan Woods are totally average in a defense built to fricking *feature* the under tackle. There’s no stoutness from the 1T and no penetration from the 3T. They mainly hustle from side to side and we count on Lawrence to apply any real pressure.

If it wasn’t for LVE, the middle of the defense would have been total shyte.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heath was not a liability overall last season, critical mistake against LA aside.

He was just average, and absolutely comparable to anything Xavier Woods did. He’s grown to be capable, and you can never fault his effort (unlike Taco). The guy hustles and makes surprising splash plays here and there. He flat out won the Oakland game in 2017.
And if Derek Carr doesn't hold the ball out like a retard Heath loses us that game.

PFF isn't the end all be all but Heath was their 81st ranked safety in the NFL. Which is probably pretty accurate. Good enough to be a backup but not good enough to be a starter.

Crawford was the 49th ranked DT. Which is good enough to start in the NFL but certainly not good enough to be a 3 technique on a top defense.

Both guys clearly needed upgraded. But Heath was the way bigger liability. It's not even close. His missed tackles and lack of ability in coverage cost Dallas on defense. He may have the bigger splash play but his fuckups cost us far more. Tyron just didn't produce as much as we would all like and want for this defense. Big difference.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

Uh.... No.
PFF ranked Woods as the 46th safety in the NFL and I only expect him to get better. Heath was in the 80s. I'd say that's pretty spot on. One is a good starting safety but not meant to be your best safety. The other doesn't belong starting. Despite what Ravi thinks.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
AHeath also saved a couple of games so it all rounds out. The guy has always been slow to react or sometimes
And if Derek Carr doesn't hold the ball out like a retard Heath loses us that game.

PFF isn't the end all be all but Heath was their 81st ranked safety in the NFL. Which is probably pretty accurate. Good enough to be a backup but not good enough to be a starter.

Crawford was the 49th ranked DT. Which is good enough to start in the NFL but certainly not good enough to be a 3 technique on a top defense.

Both guys clearly needed upgraded. But Heath was the way bigger liability. It's not even close. His missed tackles and lack of ability in coverage cost Dallas on defense. He may have the bigger splash play but his fuckups cost us far more. Tyron just didn't produce as much as we would all like and want for this defense. Big difference.
He has also saved a couple of games last season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
AHeath also saved a couple of games so it all rounds out. The guy has always been slow to react or sometimes

It's funny because I was up with the baby last night and the Eagles replay was on. I had forgot how he almost single handily lost that game by giving up the 60 yard catch to Algohlor. But we won so all is forgiven.

You can't claim Jeff Heath "saved" a game when the only reason the other team is in the game is because he blew it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's funny because I was up with the baby last night and the Eagles replay was on. I had forgot how he almost single handily lost that game by giving up the 60 yard catch to Algohlor. But we won so all is forgiven.

You can't claim Jeff Heath "saved" a game when the only reason the other team is in the game is because he blew it.
Check to Oakland game and memory serves me that the Jacksonville game but that one could be wrong. I am going on memory but I’m pretty sure about Oakland.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check to Oakland game and memory serves me that the Jacksonville game but that one could be wrong. I am going on memory but I’m pretty sure about Oakland.
Oakland wasn't even last year.

Jacksonville was a blowout. I hope those aren't your two examples of Heath winning games for us last season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Oakland wasn't even last year.

Jacksonville was a blowout. I hope those aren't your two examples of Heath winning games for us last season.
I don’t believe I stipulated last season. I guess I did. Error on my part but it was a game saver just the same.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t believe I stipulated last season. I guess I did. Error on my part but it was a game saver just the same.
I mean he did force Carr to fumble in that game. But that's a major outlier compared to the other 99% of his plays.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I mean he did force Carr to fumble in that game. But that's a major outlier compared to the other 99% of his plays.
He is better than you depict but if you don’t like him , you don’t like him but I happen to like him so it’s simply a matter of a disagreement on our perceptions. The Cowboys have given the indication in the draft that they like him too so I will just leave it at that and you can continue to not like him. How’s that?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The whole point is at least he has some plays to his credit and doesn’t take plays off.

What can we say about Crawford really since that stretch back in 2014?

Good linebacking covered for our interior DL in 2014 and 2018.

Just imagine what the linebacking and safety play could be if the DTs were actually good.

Improving the safeties and linebackers is very important, please don’t get me wrong.

But if the interior line sucks it’s akin to lipstick on a pig.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is better than you depict but if you don’t like him , you don’t like him but I happen to like him so it’s simply a matter of a disagreement on our perceptions. The Cowboys have given the indication in the draft that they like him too so I will just leave it at that and you can continue to not like him. How’s that?
I disagree. He isn't better than I depict. The stats backup the fact that he is a #3 level safety and shouldn't be starting. If PFF ranks him in the 80's it makes him a borderline 3 to 4 safety.

Top Bottom