2019 Draft Chatter Thread...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That's a pretty disingenuous thing to say. We know why that was and it wasn't due to a lack of talent.
Taco Charlton wasn't even active on gameday here a couple times because of his attitude. Even when we were short on Dline depth.

Let's hope this doesn't remain a problem for this guy, too.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Give me Amani Hooker, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, or Deionte Thompson and I'll feel a lot better.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's not a bad idea to prioritize the line over the secondary.
That's not my biggest concern. My biggest concern is we went less talent over more talent plus added a guy with serious attitude issues.

p1_

DCC 4Life
That's not my biggest concern. My biggest concern is we went less talent over more talent plus added a guy with serious attitude issues.
You can thank David Irving for that.

Cotton

Staff member
Give me Amani Hooker, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, or Deionte Thompson and I'll feel a lot better.
This would definitely ease the sting a lot.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I want Amani Hooker at this point. He would pair perfectly with Woods at safety.

I expect a RB next however. I'm ok with it as long as they didn't just lock in on the position.
Hooker is a guy who always flashed good ball hawking skills whenever I tuned into Iowa games. I'd be fine with that pick.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If any of those players last through 25 more picks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can thank David Irving for that.
Yeah it's sad because that dude had double digit sack potential. Just attitude issues. Seems like s trend on our dline. Maybe Marinelli is the problem and Crawford isn't this great leader.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hooker is a guy who always flashed good ball hawking skills whenever I tuned into Iowa games. I'd be fine with that pick.
He is an excellent tackler too. Hits hard and never seems to miss tackles. Ran really well and has man coverage ability to boot. Just a guy who could be a very good safety here. Maybe not elite but very good.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah it's sad because that dude had double digit sack potential. Just attitude issues. Seems like s trend on our dline. Maybe Marinelli is the problem and Crawford isn't this great leader.
I hate wasted potential.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will as well. That way if we miss on Hill we still have a good shot at coming out of this thing with 2 long term starters.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Championship

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Taco Charlton wasn't even active on gameday here a couple times because of his attitude. Even when we were short on Dline depth.

Let's hope this doesn't remain a problem for this guy, too.
That's exactly the concern. The talent is there.

Cotton

Staff member
[h=1]INSIDER: Top prospects Cowboys are eyeing for Day 3 of NFL Draft[/h] By
PATRIK WALKER
88 minutes ago

Believe it or not, but it's the final day of the 2019 NFL Draft.

The decision by the Dallas Cowboys to select defensive lineman Trysten Hill with the 58th-overall pick wasn't a floor-dropping surprise considering their level of pre-draft interest in the former University of Central Florida standout, but it did push them out of the race for a top safety talent when a run on the position saw three of the best players fly off the board immediately afterwards. The decision to then select offensive lineman Connor McGovern out of Penn State with the 90th-overall pick kept their need at safety on full display, but with the reduction in impact talent and needs at other positions, it's officially crunch time for the Cowboys.

They still want to draft a running back, a wide receiver and also a cornerback, however, and those will ideally fill three of their last four picks. The fourth may be a safety, but it appears they're fine pushing that down the totem further, and the following are top prospects at the other three aforementioned positions — most of which were strong pre-draft interests for the Cowboys.

One or more of them could find themselves headed to North Texas soon, and each requires polish, but also brings a ton of upside to their respective position.SLIDE1 of 10 [h=2]DEIONTE THOMPSON - S (ALABAMA)[/h]
(Photo: Jonathan Bachman, Getty)
Unlike Hooker, Thompson boasts the 'Bama brand that NFL teams covet so dearly.

He was a four-star prospect heading into Tuscaloosa, and the insane depth with the Tide forced him into a backup role initially. When he got his chance in his junior year, he broke out in a big way, landing both First-Team SEC and First-Team All-American honors after delivering 79 combined tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, six pass breakups, four forced fumbles and two interceptions. He has special teams experience as well, like Hooker, but not necessarily as much, and he's more of the ballhawking variety — something the Cowboys would love to have but could work against him if they feel he's a duplicate of Woods. That's the reason they ultimately passed on Juan Thornhill with the No. 58 pick, but if they could land a player like Thompson on Day 3, the value alone justifies making the call.

Thompson is explosive, covers well, has good range and can take the ball away, but he lacks the train-coming-down-the-tracks power needed right now in the Cowboys' system.

Decisions, decisions.

SLIDE2 of 10 [h=2]AMANI HOOKER - S (IOWA)[/h]
(Photo: Icon Sportswire, Getty)
It's an itch that hasn't been scratched yet, but certainly needs to be.

The safety position may have been pushed down the list of priorities, but it's still one, and Hooker fits what the Cowboys need going forward. They're looking for a true box safety that can step in and tandem with the free-wielding Xavier Woods, and Hooker carries the same gait as what the team had in Barry Church — their last truly impactful strong safety who left in free agency years ago. Hooker is a three-time all-state talent who was also a finalist for the Minnesota Mr. Football Award in 2015, and to put it plainly, he really enjoys hitting people hard. It feels like Hooker is a linebacker hiding in a nickel corner's body with just enough coverage ability to make him capable at the safety role, but primarily when dropped down and not when asked to cover single high on his own.

That's where Woods comes in anyway, making Hooker a solid plug-and-play option here that could challenge George Iloka for defensive snaps this coming season. His experience on special teams adds great value as well, and puts him right up against Jeff Heath in that capacity.

The Cowboys didn't show any pre-draft interest in Hooker, but things change rapidly once the draft gets underway. This is a Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year still on the board in Day 3, making it a no-brainer pick for me.

I wouldn't wait too long to give him a call, however, because he won't be around for the later rounds.

SLIDE3 of 10 [h=2]TRAYVEON WILLIAMS - RB (TEXAS A&M)[/h]
(Photo: Joe Robbins, Getty)

Williams is a smaller RB that can readily double as a receiving threat, and it's more evidence the Cowboys are still looking for a scat-back to tandem with their bell cow.

Don't expect him to power run up the A or B gap but if there's a lane for him to burst through, he'll most certainly accommodate the request. He needs to do better with trusting his first read though, because hesitancy has cost him at times in the past. Less dancing and more determined upfield movement would pay off well for him at the NFL level, and it's a lesson many collegiate backs must learn in the pro ranks. Ideally, the Cowboys will need him to operate in space, because he isn't one to continuously break tackles.

Williams has potential, but he's also raw and it shows in his lack of dynamic play when there are chances to break a game open.

This would be a perfect Day Three pick for the Cowboys.

SLIDE4 of 10 [h=2]MIKE WEBER, RB (OHIO STATE)[/h]
(Photo: Jamie Sabau, Getty)

Yes, the Cowboys will draft another running back, and they sure do love Ohio State halfback talent.

Enter Weber, a product of the same school that once enjoyed the highlights of both Ezekiel Elliott and Rod Smith. With the latter likely not being re-signed this offseason, the way is paved for someone like Weber to come in and challenge fullback Jamize Olawale for offensive snaps behind Elliott. Weber has a solid frame that can withstand contact and deal out punishment on occasion, but without suffering any durability issues in the process (hamstring and arm injuries were not major). His vision is well beyond his years and while some other prospects struggle to see the play develop before it actually does, it feels like Weber is always a step ahead in that regard. He's a downhill runner that doesn't tap dance in the backfield, and is as shifty as they come.

He can deceive defenders in a variety of ways, from footwork to hip misdirection and his motor never stops churning. His gives A1 effort on every play and is also a receiving threat out of the backfield, and comparisons to Duke Johnson of the Cleveland Browns are warranted, but there are also areas he'll need to develop.

His straight-line speed is far from an issue, but his acceleration from stop to go leaves something to be desired. Once he gets in gear he's off to the races, but no one will confuse him for Barry Sanders. He's more of a true downhill runner who happens to also have some additional tricks in his bag, and if he can also improve on his pass blocking, he's a viable option for the Cowboys on Day Three.

SLIDE5 of 10 [h=2]DAX RAYMOND - TE (UTAH)[/h]
(Photo: USA TODAY Sports)

Comparing Raymond to some of the other Cowboys' interests at the tight end position and you come away feeling as if he's the more unpolished one of the bunch.

That's not to say he won't be productive at the next level, but it is to say there needs to be more polish. His route running is solid, but it won't awe you. He's also not the fastest around, and his 4.73s 40-yard dash justifiably raises a concern when it comes time to beat out an NFL linebacker and/or safety down the seam. His quickness and fluidity is his saving grace there, both helping him compensate for the lack of turbo. Raymond is tough and physical, unafraid to catch a ball in a scrum or with a defensive player bearing down on him, and that's a huge plus for Dak Prescott's style of play.

Consistency must improve in run and pass blocking, but he can do both when fully committed. He has pancakes on his resume, to put it plainly, but doesn't commit to trying to achieve one on every play. His recent injury will also give pause, especially with the arc of Geoff Swaim still fresh in the Cowboys' thoughts.

I had a fourth-round grade on Raymond entering the draft, and that means he's now ripe for the picking.

He's a guy I could see doing damage in the NFL, just not in his first season or two.

SLIDE6 of 10 [h=2]STANLEY MORGAN, JR. - WR (NEBRASKA)[/h]
(Photo: Jeff Hanisch, USA TODAY Sports)

There are both things to love about the former Nebraska standout and things that make you scratch your head a bit.

On the tasty side of the dish, Morgan can build speed quickly to put defensive backs in a bad position quickly. Once he's in open space, he uses his hips and hands to manipulate the perceived route just before the break, and has hands that are both strong and soft enough to make all the catches — even if there is traffic involved. Once the catch is made, he's aggressive at breaking free of would-be tackles and has a stiff-arm made of Vibranium.

Eye-opening YAC (yards after carry) stems from ability to change direction quickly and the fact he has just enough speed to pull away from most DBs.

Morgan will need to improve his blocking ability if he truly wants the Cowboys to dig deeper into possibly selecting him, however, but it's not for lack of effort. It's a technique issue, and the good news is that's teachable. On the receiving front, he also just nearly missed having two consecutive 1,000-yard seasons in his final two years at Nebraska, and put up 17 TDs in that same stretch of time.

He'd be something to watch for the Cowboys in the slot, and could be worth a look in the third round with Beasley now gone.

SLIDE7 of 10 [h=2]JALEN GUYTON - WR (NORTH TEXAS)[/h]
(Photo: Cooper Neill, Getty)
Guyton doesn't have the experience some other prospects have, transferring to North Texas in 2017 after an unproductive stretch at Notre Dame.

Things kicked into gear for him once he returned home, the Allen, TX native leaping out the gate with 775 receiving yards and nine TDs in his first season with Mean Green — good enough for seventh-best in the Conference USA. He'd up his production in 2018 before declaring for the NFL Draft, and he's an intriguing prospect. Guyton has a solid frame for his position, and has the catch radius and aggression to go up and get the ball at the point of attack. You'd like to see him do a bit more of it, but don't label him a body-catcher. He has a good mix of knowing when to use his hands versus when it's wise to breathe the pass into his bread basket.

The speed is well-pronounced and combines with a nice stride to easily create separation once he gets into the open field, and to say he's not afraid of contact is an understatement. At times, it almost feels as if he seeks it out — bullying through would-be tacklers before then turning on the turbo. Guyton is a definite deep threat and has the physicality to operate in the slot against linebackers and nickel corners, but a bit more polish on the route-running would be nice.

Overall, Guyton might be a sleeper in the later rounds, and the Cowboys brought him in for a Dallas Day workout.

SLIDE8 of 10 [h=2]EMANUEL HALL - WR (MISSOURI)[/h]
(Photo: Icon Sportswire, Getty)

Every single draft prospect is an athlete, but few come close to Hall.

The former Missouri standout blew the doors off of the NFL Combine, peeling back a lot of people's eyelids with his measurables. It's not surprising just how well Hall tests though, considering he's earned awards in track and field. He's a state champion high jumper and has AAU Junior Olympic Track gold medals (2011), one in high jump and the other in the pentathlon. His sufficient frame also houses turbo speed, as evidenced in his 4.39s 40-yard dash burst. When you toss in a 43" vertical and an 85th-percentile wingspan, you start to drool a bit imagining his potential at the NFL level.

That drool will dry up quickly though, because while Hall is one of the best athletes in the wide receiver prospect pool, he's far from being one of the best wide receivers.

If all you need from a wideout is straight-line speed to take the top off of opposing defenses, Hall is your guy. Just don't ask him to do much more than that, or you'll find yourself pulling your hair out. He needs more refinement at the position, and in several categories. While fantastic on a go route, every other route on the tree leaves much to be desired. Poor sells on his route breaks don't serve him well at the second level, and he's easily disrupted by solid press coverage because he prefers finesse over physicality — which also tempers his yards after the catch.

His ball tracking skills and hands are arguably his worst traits, which is a big deal, and when it comes to blocking — he does the bare minimum.

Hall should get a look from the Cowboys based off of sheer speed and athleticism alone, especially now that he'd be a Day 3 pick.

SLIDE9 of 10 [h=2]AMANI ORUWARIYE - CB (PENN STATE)[/h]
(Photo: Justin K. Aller, Getty)

It's not a position of dire need for the Cowboys, but Oruwariye has already caught their eye.

The first thing you'll notice is his frame, because part of the reason passing game coordinator Kris Richard has interest is because he's a long defensive back with solid weight. He nearly fits Richard's profile to the letter, physically, and film helps bolster his value. He not only has starting experience, it's not "empty calories" being burned when he's on the field. Oruwariye delivered seven interceptions in his last two seasons with the Nittany Lions, and his measurables are flat-out intriguing. From a long wingspan used to disrupt passes and stretch his catch radius to his 4.47s speed and above-average vertical leap, Oruwariye has the athleticism, burst and body control to compete with receivers throughout the entire route.

In a land where big, physical receivers rule the world, all of this will serve him well in the NFL. His quickness also makes him valuable in run support, and watching him instantly and continuously adjust his frame and torque his hips while rarely losing his feet is a work of art. The Cowboys are all set at the top four spots, but don't be surprised if they grab someone like Oruwariye with one of their fourth-round picks for both depth and to challenge Lewis for a roster spot.

They already have Connor McGovern out of Penn State as their third-round pick, and they're not afraid to double dip into the Nittany Lion pool.

SLIDE10 of 10 [h=2]ISAIAH JOHNSON - CB (HOUSTON)[/h]
(Photo: Robert Sellers, Scout.com)
Here's another defensive back prospect who fits the physical stature so embraced by Richard.

Johnson is tall by cornerback standards, and has the weight to ensure he's not pushed around easily. One of the better press corners in the draft pool, he's not afraid to get in a receiver's face at the line of scrimmage and mix things up. A physical demeanor combines with an aggressive mentality to make him an unpleasant matchup for wideouts, because either they lose to him at the line of scrimmage, or in the subsequent route — with Johnson's imposing frame being equipped with 4.4s speed and a 93-percentile wingspan and arm length.

But wait, there's more.

His overall athleticism reminds you of Byron Jones, but in a slightly bigger package. The only thing that might keep him from being selected on Day One is his lack of consistency, and he needs to improve his technique in certain aspects. There are times he can get a bit handsy, and the flag-happy NFL won't go for that. He's also been known to open up his hips too early, but it's likely because he knows he has the size and speed to recover from any initial technical errors made in the route. His willingness to float on some routes can be attributed to this as well, but he should realize how flat-out unstoppable he'd be if he ever combined a consistently flawless technique with his size and abilities, instead of using the latter to excuse the issues with the former.

The Cowboys met with him formally at the NFL Combine and again at his Pro Day, so the interest is definitely there.

I had a third-round grade on Johnson, and that means landing him at any point between rounds four through seven would be tremendous value.

Cotton

Staff member
Shit, that formatting is terrible. Fuck it, you can read it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think he's less talented. The attitude is definitely a concern though.

Top Bottom