2019 Draft Chatter Thread...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is shaping up to be an all-timer shitty draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's so hard when you have so few picks in the first 3 rounds. When you have only 2 picks you really have to hit with both picks for the draft to be good. I don't think we did. Had we taken one of those safeties the draft would have a totally different feel.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Our OL was just above average last year, especially at power run blocking, and a still very ill Travis Frederick isn’t going to come in and save the season. Connor Williams was benched at one point. Mcgovern looks big and strong, like Leary became in 2016 except maybe a more natural run blocker.

And yes, we needed a DT before all this safety talk and we got the best one available. Better pedigree and raw talent than either Crawford or Collins.

Should Quinn last in Dallas beyond this season, the DL could feature three talented and physically strong pass rushers.

Between Quinn and Hill we’ve definitely improved up front where we really needed it.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Brain trust pc on now...

Did you guys hear about the "I promise to play hard and be a good citizen" "contract" Marinelli made Hill sign? :lol

Between that and the t-shirts, we have the corniest coaching staff in the league.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Top tier WR and help on both lines.

And we *complain* now. That’s how spoiled we’ve grown of late.

Theres no pleasing some folks. Im sure you would prefer passing on Shaun Rogers for the likes of Tony Dixon again. Or Dwayne Goodrich. Yeah, I f’ing LOVED him.

Now those were real candidates for all time shittiest drafts...

lostxn

DCC 4Life
You say that every year. You were ready to jump out the window after the LVE pick and that worked out just fine.

http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/forum/dallas-cowboys-central/cowboys-stadium/7518-2018-weekend-draft-chatter-thread/page57

We'll see in time whether this was a good draft. Neither of these guys were reaches. The guard can play any spot on the line which is a huge plus with a crippled center and weakling 2nd year guard. I don't know the DT at all, but we certainly needed a DT.

I would rather have seen us go Rapp in the 2nd but what can you do. We don't get to make the picks.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Top tier WR and help on both lines.

And we *complain* now. That’s how spoiled we’ve grown of late.

Theres no pleasing some folks. Im sure you would prefer passing on Shaun Rogers for the likes of Tony Dixon again. Or Dwayne Goodrich. Yeah, I f’ing LOVED him.

Now those were real candidates for all time shittiest drafts...
We go through this every year. I think McClay has earned more trust that we give him. He missed on Taco (who I liked too oops) but other than that, he's done really really well.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Brain trust pc on now...

Did you guys hear about the "I promise to play hard and be a good citizen" "contract" Marinelli made Hill sign? :lol

Between that and the t-shirts, we have the corniest coaching staff in the league.
Then he takes Hill to Dairy Queen for a banana split. Uncle Rod is super neat-o

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
You can thank CJ Anderson for our pick.
I thought the same thing. Felt like they overreacted to that playoff game.

We definitely needed some beef in the middle of the defense but I think we all would have preferred a DT who has shown a lot more at the collegiate level. Especially with your 2nd round pick.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Warming up to the Hill pick. I still would have rather came away with Thornhill, Rapp, Adderley, or Dre'mont Jones, but whatever. Trysten Hill is a good player. I only hope his attitude catches up with his skill set.

I do like like the selection of Connor McGovern. He should provide nice insurance along the interior this year (hedged bet for Fred's recovery time?), and step in as a starter next year as I think Williams will replace Collins out at RT. Or if he can't cut it out on the edge and we have to go another route, then they can battle it out and the best can start. I think I'd put my money on McGovern winning that battle. This was a surprising pick, though. I didn't expect us to go this route this early. But I won't complain too much about adding talent to the oline when the opportunity arises.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Warming up to the Hill pick. I still would have rather came away with Thornhill, Rapp, Adderley, or Dre'mont Jones, but whatever. Trysten Hill is a good player. I only hope his attitude catches up with his skill set.

I do like like the selection of Connor McGovern. He should provide nice insurance along the interior this year (hedged bet for Fred's recovery time?), and step in as a starter next year as I think Williams will replace Collins out at RT. Or if he can't cut it out on the edge and we have to go another route, then they can battle it out and the best can start. I think I'd put my money on McGovern winning that battle. This was a surprising pick, though. I didn't expect us to go this route this early. But I won't complain too much about adding talent to the oline when the opportunity arises.
This is kind of what consistently good teams like the Pats and Steelers do. They always pick late so they don't really reach for 2nd tier skill position players. They take the interior lineman, the linebackers, the tight end that always fall and their teams always seem to be tough up the middle on both sides.

This is a meat and potato draft. Always gonna be. Hopefully we can get a decent safety in the fourth but it still won't make this a sexy draft, unless you include Cooper which is a little hard to do.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Well that is kind of what we were thinking. That is hopeful. I do suspect we're gonna have to draft a TE next year unless we can get a stud in FA or Jarwin takes a huge step forward.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Jerry Jones didn’t mind telling reporters after the press conference that Virginia safety Juan Thornhill was the other player the Cowboys were coveting before the Trysten Hill pick. “He fit. We liked him. He really fit (our scheme),” Jones said. “We were ready to go with him. But we took our preference.”
Ugh.... Fucking Marinelli

Carp

DCC 4Life
Brain trust pc on now...

Dude is old as hell, so shit like that is relevant to him. I'll take my chances with Marinelli making him into the player he should be though.

Top Bottom