2019 Draft Chatter Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sturm thinks they believe Connor Williams will move to OT when Collins' contract is up. But Sturm has doubts about Williams ability at OT at this level.
Regardless of this pick, Connor should move to OT and Collins should move the fuck back to guard.

D

Deuce

I’m not convinced this doesn’t help us this year. He could easily beat Williams out for RG and make him our swing tackle backup until Collins’ contract is up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was interesting, but I really don't give a shit because it is not going to make the team any better next year.
Yeah this looks like a long term move at best. We love our backup center/guard combos. This is starting to remind me of our all special teams draft. I don't hate the player but I don't see how he ever starts unless Frederick is done or Williams is being moved to tackle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m not convinced this doesn’t help us this year. He could easily beat Williams out for RG and make him our swing tackle backup until Collins’ contract is up.
Martin is our RG...

I'm starting to worry even more about the Hill pick now...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looney's replacement. Or Williams to T.
I have to think Williams to RT and this guy slides in at guard a year from now. It's the only thing that makes sense. Williams makes way more sense at RT. He is an excellent athlete to protect the edge but not strong enough to get push in the middle.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Wonder if they partly have their doubts about Williams. He did get pushed around a lot last year.

Knowing their love for "position flex" :budd , it's probably a combination of all these things.

Which I hate, because I'd rather get players you're pretty confident can be excellent at one position, not pretty good at two or three,

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wonder if they partly have their doubts about Williams. He did get pushed around a lot last year.

Knowing their love for "position flex" :budd , it's probably a combination of all these things.

Which I hate, because I'd rather get players you're pretty confident can be excellent at one position, not pretty good at two or three,
They love guys who can play multiple O-line positions. You know they love this guy because of position flex.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah this looks like a long term move at best. We love our backup center/guard combos. This is starting to remind me of our all special teams draft. I don't hate the player but I don't see how he ever starts unless Frederick is done or Williams is being moved to tackle.
Collins kind of sucks and isn't going to be re-signed in all likelihood so I think he's a 2020 starter.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Collins kind of sucks and isn't going to be re-signed in all likelihood so I think he's a 2020 starter.
Yeah in terms of O-lineman I don't mind the player. Pretty good description for the guy:

"He's one of my favorite guards because he's got real size and real power. A lot of college linemen are coming in so light that it takes time to get them big and strong enough to play." -- Offensive line coach for NFC team

I didn't think O-line was really a need but the third round isn't really about that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's kind of funny how we will go from picking guys that we telegraph from a mile like Hill to a guy who no one would have had any idea we had interest in. But Collins is gone after this year. We can't afford to keep paying him. I think it paves the way for this guy. I'd probably move Conner out to RT right now and let him compete at tackle.

data

Forbes #1
Yeah in terms of O-lineman I don't mind the player. Pretty good description for the guy:

"He's one of my favorite guards because he's got real size and real power. A lot of college linemen are coming in so light that it takes time to get them big and strong enough to play." -- Marc Colombo, Offensive line coach for NFC team
FIFY

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I guess they showed us.

They telegraphed and all but shouted to the world about Hill.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess they showed us.

They telegraphed and all but shouted to the world about Hill.
Yeah every damn Cowboys person was talking about Hill. Couldn't telegraph it more unfortunately. It's why I have no doubt the Cowboys had locked into him no matter what. Just not sure why they did.

Top Bottom