Walker: Complete 2019 NFL Mock Draft for Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]By[/h] PATRIK WALKER 57 minutes ago
The mock draft movement is kind of a big deal.

It's the time of the year when everyone can temporarily realize their dreams of becoming an NFL general manager or professional football scout come true, to a degree anyway, as they get to work on building their favorite team's draft as they deem necessary. For those who follow the Dallas Cowboys, the 2019 event offers much more ambiguity than recent years past, however, considering the club sent their first-round pick to the Oakland Raiders in exchange for pro bowl wide receiver Amari Cooper — whose success post-trade has them comfortable enough to not mortgage their future to move back into Day One.

Barring any movement from their current positions, they'll have six picks that begin with No. 58 in the second round. After having an impressive offseason talent haul that reduces pressure to jump at any particular position in Nashville, the aforementioned guesswork is exacerbated and ultimately makes the task of reading their tea leaves as fun as it is challenging.

With that said, my first and only Cowboys' mock draft of 2019 has arrived, and God be with their opposition both now and later if the club can pull this off.

[Mock machine: The Draft Network]

__

2-58 - Juan Thornhill, S

(Photo: VirginiaSports.com)

If you love ballhawks, Thornhill is your guy.

Following a slow start in his first year with the Cavaliers, Thornhill literally got better every single year at taking the ball away. He went from three interceptions in 2016, to four the following year and doubled his 2016 production in that category last season, and when he wasn't intercepting opposing quarterbacks — he was breaking up their passes with impressive consistency. He's just tall enough to tickle Kris Richard's fancy and being a three-year starter gives him the experience not everyone in this draft class has. It's one reason his football acumen is so high and that trait is noticeable in how he correctly anticipates routes, then jumps them for what is usually a nice reward.

His most notable comp is a familiar player to Cowboys' fans, as it's one Eric Berry — who recently visited the team in free agency.

Thornhill is no Berry just yet, though, but the ceiling feels similar. He'll need to do a better job reading angles in run defense and acceleration isn't top shelf, but his football IQ, athleticism and top speed/closing speed certainly are. At times, I wonder if he'd be better as a corner versus hovering around the third level, but either way somebody will enjoy his services as a Day One starter in the NFL at either position. In this mock, with Taylor Rapp, Johnathan Abram, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and Darnell Savage all off the board — the Cowboys should count themselves lucky Thornhill was still there for the taking.

This is a pick that should make both George Iloka and Jeff Heath nervous, albeit more the former, considering the latter is also an elite special teams' guy — who can also kick in a pinch.

__

3-90 - Mecole Hardman, WR

(Photo: Icon Sportswire, Getty)

Hardman was a five-star recruit coming out of high school, and it's not hard to tell why.

The former Bulldog is an athlete in the highest regard, as evidenced in his conversion from an All-American defender in high school to an impact wide receiver at the collegiate level. He didn't truly find his wheels with the Bulldogs until 2017 though, and that's why he's a bit more raw than some others, but his upside is just as high — if not higher. Hardman is a quick learner, and that will serve him well at the next level. Those who have concerns over a limited route tree will find those worries dying a quick death once he's tethered to the right NFL coaching staff. In watching Hardman's film, he's also unique in that he doesn't simply possess either straight-line speed or quick-twitch quickness — he has both in spades.

He explodes once the ball is snapped and defenders have trouble figuring out if they should play off of him to protect their back side or if they should play forward to take away the underneath route. Hardman can take the top off of the opposing defense or use crisp route breaks to exploit slower linebackers and nickel corners, but he'll need to work on his physicality to avoid being compromised by slot defenders in the NFL.

With that said, he's not exactly a pushover, despite his size. A terror in space that almost loathes catching with his body, and one with elite return skills makes him a perfect longterm solution to the Cole Beasley divorce. His vision is one of the best in this class, aided by the IQ that comes with having been a defensive back himself — giving him the added edge of being able to understand coverages like few other young wideouts can.

Hardman could've easily been gone before pick 90 and deserved consideration at 58, making this selection a no-brainer. Randall Cobb is an excellent bridge for the departed Cole Beasley, and a returning Cedrick Wilson, Jr. will challenge for notoriety following his redshirt 2018 season, but Hardman is the definitive future at the position.

It's another home-run pick the Cowboys fell face first into.

__

4-128 - Kingsley Keke, DL/EDGE

(Photo: Icon Sportswire, Getty)

Keke slimmed down a bit ahead of the combine, at one point allegedly carrying 305 lbs on his 6-foot-3 frame.

That would've made him a definitive interior lineman, but weighing in at 288 lbs in Indianapolis now opens the door for some flex ability between the 3-tech and the 5-tech. The measurements put him right up against Omenihu, but there aren't many more direct comparisons between the two outside of that.

You won't see the alien burst/explosiveness from Keke you see from the former Longhorn, and there are times where he's actually a step late once the ball is snapped. It doesn't help that he doesn't necessarily recover well on a consistent basis, and he has issues with being knocked off balance at times. He's a more raw prospect but one that can easily be developed, as seen in his violent hands and wild flexibility. He routinely uses both to overwhelm offensive lineman when he can, and he plays through the whistle.

Watching film on Keke, it feels like he's sitting on more potential than he unveiled over the course of his career with the Aggies, and that's evidenced by the 7.5 sacks his senior year after having only five in the first three seasons combined. I struggle to put his potential over that of Dorance Armstrong, but I understand the Cowboys' interest here, especially with Keke being a Texas prospect, and that doesn't mean he won't ultimately be more valuable than the ex-Jayhawk.

Anything higher than the fourth round would've been a reach though, so the fact he was there for the taking at No. 128 gives this selection perfect value.

__

4-136 - Trayveon Williams, RB

(Photo: Joe Robbins, Getty)

Williams is a smaller RB that can readily double as a receiving threat, and that's perfect for a Cowboys' team still looking for a scat-back to tandem with their bell cow.

Don't expect him to power run up the A or B gap but if there's a lane for him to burst through, he'll most certainly accommodate the request. He needs to do better with trusting his first read though, because hesitancy has cost him at times in the past. Less dancing and more determined upfield movement would pay off well for him at the NFL level, and it's a lesson many collegiate backs must learn in the pro ranks. Ideally, the Cowboys will need him to operate in space, because he isn't one to continuously break tackles — although he'll do it from time to time.

Williams has solid potential, but he's also raw and needs polish to truly reach his ceiling. For a running back in the NFL, there's no one better to team him with than RB coach Gary Brown.

This former Aggie would be a fun addition for the Cowboys, and gives them the upgrade at RB2 they're seeking without using a high pick to make it happen.

__

5-165 - Drew Sample, TE
(Photo: M. Samek, 247Sports)
You won't confuse Sample for Jimmy Graham, and it's best we get that out of the way early.

He's far from the most athletic of the Cowboys' draft interests, but he's athletic enough to make an impact in that capacity. Ironically, the word "enough" keeps coming to mind when I watch Sample's film. He won't blow your mind when watching him play, but he won't stink up the joint, either. He did receive All-Pac 12 honors for a career season in 2018, but that came with just a 252-yard, five touchdown year. I don't get the impression Sample will be an impact TE1, but I wouldn't mind loading him as TE2 in a two-TE set that utilizes his great blocking ability to give the option for a run or a chip-and-release route. His need of improvement in route-running will keep him from consistently being the No. 1 receiving option, as will his lack of YAC talent.

Sample has strong hands to reel in contested catches but once it's caught, that's essentially the end of the play. He doesn't have the footwork, quickness or straight-line speed to be elusive. He's a security blanket of the highest order, but an effective one if used correctly and not overextended into areas he doesn't excel in.

It feels like Blake Jarwin will be the No. 1 guy once Jason Witten retires a second time, and Sample would be a great compliment to Jarwin's athleticism and ability to stretch the field.

__

7-241 - Cole Holcomb, LB

(Photo: Jim Hawkins/Inside Carolina)

One thing that makes Holcomb attractive is his versatility.

That would serve him well in the Cowboys' defensive scheme, where he can operate in any of the three roles. Holcomb has the frame to remain durable going forward, something Sean Lee has never been in Dallas, and the athleticism to both attack in run defense or blitz packages or drop back in coverage — be it zone or man. He's a three-year starter and that experience shows in his decision making, from pre-snap to whistleblow. Holcomb has the quickness and above average explosiveness to get going in a hurry, but also the patience and IQ to know when to instantly dial it back to prevent giving up the big play due to a missed tackle.

His motor is absolutely relentless, and he doesn't give up on the first or even second block attempt, plus he has the strength and balance to make would-be blockers look downright silly at times. He's a hunter in the same vein as Lee, Vander Esch and Smith, as in once the target is identified — all he sees is red.

There are more polished linebacker talents in this coming draft, but I also get the sense Holcomb is being demerited for being a one from UNC, as opposed to being one at a more "seen" and celebrated football program. I feel he'd be a fantastic fit for the Cowboys' scheme, and immediately challenge make waves in training camp as the successor for Lee and a push for Justin March-Lillard and Christian Covington. I would've taken Holcomb in the fifth-round but gambled and grabbed Williams instead — followed by Sample — which stretched my smile ear-to-ear to see him there for the final pick.

I'd rather use the flyer than risk losing him in undrafted free agency.

And if he turns out to be what I think, this value makes him an absolute steal.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Can't have a guy named Mecole on the team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have done a few mocks just like this that make just too much sense. So therefore, they will not happen.

Holcomb for one is a guy I think Dallas really wants and they aren't going to wait him out until pick 241.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have done a few mocks just like this that make just too much sense. So therefore, they will not happen.

Holcomb for one is a guy I think Dallas really wants and they aren't going to wait him out until pick 241.
I do not like Hardman in the third.

Top Bottom