Turner: 13 players the Cowboys could realistically select in the second round, and what each would add

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1][/h]

By Kevin Turner Apr 17, 2019

The 2019 NFL Draft is eight days away. With that in mind, it’s time to get the hype train going for next Friday night’s festivities by showcasing a diverse group of players the Cowboys could realistically select in the second round. I understand that realistically is a broad and subjective term. Some of you may not think a player will be there when it’s time for the Cowboys to pick, but they could also entertain trading up. Not all of these players will last through the 58th pick, but they are all within Dallas’ reach in the second round.

I came up with 10 players who fit the criteria. To enhance the exercise, I texted five other people who follow the draft and the Cowboys very closely and asked them to submit their own ten-player list. I then tallied up the scores to find the players most likely to wear silver and blue 10 days from now. The list below ranks them in that order. The draft is obviously difficult to project, but the people I reached out to are very plugged-in. I broke any tie based on both how likely I think they’d be on the board when the Cowboys pick and who I think they would take.

Zach Allen — DL, Boston College. 6’4, 281, 5.00

I’ve believed for a long time now that Allen is the most likely Cowboys second-round pick. The versatile lineman fits Dallas’ preferences in a number of ways. He played a lot of defensive end at Boston College, with the occasional snap inside as a defensive tackle. My instinct is that Dallas would view him as a 3-technique defensive tackle who could also play some at defensive end. 2019 is a contract year for defensive tackle Maliek Collins, and Tyrone Crawford could be a cap casualty after the coming season. Crawford would be a 9.1m cap hit in 2020 and the Cowboys could save 8m in cap space by cutting him after the 2019 campaign. I’m not sure they want to do that, given he’s one of the team leaders, but it’s an option for them to consider after giving DeMarcus Lawrence a big contract, with deals for Amari Cooper and Dak Prescott likely.

What Allen lack in athleticism he makes up with effort, awareness and an advanced feel of how to beat the man in front of him. He plays with big, powerful hands, and it does appear he would translate nicely to the interior. He’s not going to be able to get the edge very often as a pass-rushing defensive end, but his ability to understand who he’s matched up against allows him to win. I don’t think he’s going to be a future Pro Bowler, but three years from now, we’d wind up saying, “Man, that ended up being a really solid pick.”

Taylor Rapp — S, Washington. 6’0, 208, 4.78

He plays a very different position, but Taylor Rapp will provide the same sort of thing as Allen: Solid, reliable play. I placed Allen ahead of Rapp because I think it’s much more likely the lineman is on the board. Rapp’s tape is quite impressive, and he’s one of the safest players at a position which is usually hard to evaluate.

Rapp’s timed 40-yard dash is the only reason there’s even a chance he’s available; many in the draft industry see him as a first-round talent regardless. I have a second-round grade on Rapp and see him as more suitable to play strong safety than free safety. I do think he has the ability to take snaps at free safety throughout the course of a game, because he’s very reliable in coverage despite not being incredibly rangy. Rapp is an excellent tackler and fits exactly what the Cowboys would be looking for from a strong safety. He’s trustworthy in coverage and can be a force when playing down in the box. I truly don’t think he’s on the board at No. 58, but his stock has been declining and he’s one of the few names I think they would consider trading up for.

Juan Thornhill — S, Virginia. 6’0, 205, 4.42

While Rapp’s 40 time is an issue, Thornhill’s is…decidedly not. He is one of the most athletic players in this draft. If you don’t believe me, watch him play basketball.

Thornhill has experience at cornerback, free safety and strong safety. He truly profiles as a player who could give his drafting team options with their secondary packages. He had six interceptions last year and posted nearly 100 tackles. He’s not afraid of contact and will get dirty and try to tackle, but his tackling technique would come and go on tape. It’s not concerning enough to keep him from profiling as an occasional strong safety, but I do think Thornhill provides value as a single high safety too. In a perfect world, he and Xavier Woods could really give Kris Richard options in how he wants to disguise his coverages.

Thornhill was one of the Cowboys’ 30 visits, but my gut tells me they like Taylor Rapp, Johnathan Abram and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson more. Among the four safeties in question, I have Thornhill graded behind Rapp and Abram, but ahead of Gardner-Johnson. If the Cowboys are locked in on taking a safety, I think Thornhill is the most likely of those four to be on the board at No. 58. I also believe this defensive line class stretches a little deeper than the safety class, so jumping on a guy like Thornhill would make perfect sense for the Cowboys. Dallas’ perspective on Thornhill will be interesting, because his combine numbers are eerily similar to Byron Jones’. Byron Jones is 6’1, Thornhill is 6’0. Byron ran a 4.43 40, had a 12’3” broad jump, and a 44 ½ inch vertical jump. Thornhill ran a 4.42, then had an 11’9” broad and a 44” vertical. With Kris Richard presumably looking for longer corners, I think it’s safe to say the Cowboys will view Thornhill as a safety, but I’ll truly believe it when I see it. I placed a second-round grade on Thornhill and have no issues with the Cowboys selecting him at #58.

Jaylon Ferguson — DE, Louisiana Tech. 6’5, 271, 4.82

Ferguson’s pre-draft experience has been unbelievably awful. The pass-rusher made it through the month of January being mocked as high as the 20s, but the slide began in February when he was uninvited from the NFL Combine due to a battery charge which turned up on the league’s background check. His pro day proved to be meme-worthy as he was much heavier than expected and ended up with a 3-cone drill time of 8.08, which is bad to nearly the point of comedy. Ferguson is a classic case study of trusting the tape vs. trusting the workout.

I personally think he ran such a poor 3-cone drill because of the field he was on. He’d reportedly slipped a few times before the official test and time were taken. While he became the joke of the draft world for a few days, I truly think he’s running like a guy who thinks he might slip because of poor turf conditions.

Ferguson should not have done those drills in the first place; they show off what he’s worst at. Nobody expected him to have great times, they just didn’t expect them to be that bad. When watching the player on tape, it’s easy to see why he’s the all-time FBS leader in sacks. He does an excellent job of playing with his hands, striking the tackle and controlling him. He uses a great push-pull move and is difficult to block because of how strong he is. While he is very stiff, his ability to finish supersedes that. I’m a big fan of Ferguson and graded him as a second-round talent.

Johnathan Abram — S, Mississippi State. 5’11, 205, 4.44

Abram is a little lower on the list because I don’t think it’s very likely that he’s on the board at 58. Abram has been a quiet riser throughout the pre-draft process and is likely going to be a Top 50 pick. He is a pure strong safety in my eyes, as his coverage ability down the field is a little problematic. He excels as a run defender, playing with violence and thriving on moving downhill. He can be exposed in coverage, but his speed, pursuit and reaction ability lead you to believe that he could make strides in that area.

Last week on 105.3 The Fan’s “The Ben and Skin Show,” Stephen Jones mentioned that Byron Jones’ move to cornerback had a lot to do with the team’s desire to get Xavier Woods on the field as the single high safety. If they’re confident in Woods handling those duties all by himself, Abram is the perfect partner to handle strong safety duties. I have a second-round grade on Abram and don’t think he’ll be there at No. 58, but I do think he along with Washington safety Taylor Rapp are the two defensive backs the Cowboys would seriously consider trading up for.

JoeJuan Williams — CB, Vanderbilt. 6’3, 211, 4.59

If the suspected shift to an emphasis on taller, longer cornerbacks is true, JoeJuan Williams would make a lot of sense for the Cowboys. At this point I’d argue it’s probably a coin flip if he will still be on the board at No. 58. Williams uses his length to jam wide receivers off the line of scrimmage, but he’s still a work in progress when covering down the field. He doesn’t have great recovery speed on paper, but does a pretty good job of sticking to opposing pass catchers. He can be rocked off-balance too easily, as he’s not the most smooth player, but brings an element of physicality and size to the position, which is something the Cowboys might be looking for.

L.J. Collier — DL, TCU. 6’2, 283, 4.91

Collier is further down on this list because I don’t think it’s very likely he’s on the board at 58. I think he’d have to be a trade-up candidate. Starting last year at right defensive end for the Horned Frogs, Collier posted six sacks off the edge. Given that he weighs 280+ pounds, I think the Cowboys will view him as a 3-technique defensive tackle who can show off his aggressiveness by charging up the field at the snap. In last week’s Dallas Day, Collier reportedly stayed near Rod Marinelli the entire time.

I have a third-round grade on Collier and would be a little concerned about taking him in the second round. He was only a one-year starter at TCU and doesn’t have a ton of experience playing defensive tackle. There’s no doubting his talent though, as Collier had a great week at the Senior Bowl and has slowly risen throughout the pre-draft process. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was taken as early as the back end of the first round. I feel like the Cowboys would have to trade up if they wanted him, and I personally feel like they would have Rapp and Abram higher on their board.

Isaiah Johnson — CB, Houston. 6’2, 208, 4.40

I’m a card-carrying member of the Isaiah Johnson fan club, but not at pick 58. I would love the addition in the third round, but the Cowboys’ first selection is too valuable. Johnson is another long cornerback prospect. The former wide receiver would be quite the developmental selection, as his game still needs quite a bit of improvement. The upside is there, but Johnson is not yet a good tackler and is extremely grabby, showing that he doesn’t really trust his ability to cover quite yet. I have faith that Johnson will end up being a quality player in this league, but would not spend a second-round pick on him. His ceiling is so high though, that it wouldn’t shock me if he’s selected in the top 75.

Trysten Hill — DL, Central Florida. 6’3, 308, 5.04

Hill is an ideal selection for me at pick No. 90, but the second round is just too early. I love what Hill could bring to this roster, with the ability to play both defensive tackle spots, but his tape was just too inconsistent to consider at No. 58. I can confirm the Cowboys’ interest, though, and that’s why he’s on this list. It sure feels like they covet a defensive tackle sometime on Day 2 of the draft, so if their time to pick came up and Hill was the highest-graded defensive tackle on their board, I could see him being popped a round early.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson — S, Florida. 5’11, 210, 4.48

I’m a fan of Gardner-Johnson. The Cowboys brought him in for a visit, but i’m not sure if they consider him a free safety or a nickel cornerback. In all likelihood, the answer is “both.” He played primarily as a nickel corner in 2018, while his 2017 tape shows a very rangy free safety prospect whose only major pitfall is his ability to tackle consistently. Gardner-Johnson is a very confident player and there’s a chance he’s gone in the top 50, but my hunch is the Cowboys are more in the market for a strong safety rather than a free safety. One note to keep in mind: nickel cornerback Anthony Brown is a free agent after the 2019 season, so perhaps the Cowboys would pull the trigger on Gardner-Johnson to get him in the system. He’s a name to remember, but far down on this list for a reason, as I think they’ll go in another direction next weekend.

Damian Harris — RB, Alabama. 5’10, 216, 4.57

Listing a running back feels weird, but given that Dallas is likely going to draft one this year and the fact that Harris took an official visit to the Cowboys’ facility, we need to give Harris his due. Capable of being a 3-down back, Harris fits exactly what the Cowboys are looking for from their backup. Despite my inclination to add more bursty player behind Zeke to change the pace up, all indications are that the Cowboys are not in the market for a back like that. Like Elliott, Harris always falls forward for extra yardage and is very tough to bring down. He’s a hard runner who has great vision and contact balance, and does an excellent job of getting more than the minimum yards blocked for him.

I like Harris, but personally think it would be disastrous for Dallas to select another running back this early in the draft. On Day 3? Sure, go for it. But not in the second round. That being said, they didn’t have a lot of running backs visit the facility, so while it seems a bit strange, it’s not far-fetched to have him on this list.

Dawson Knox — TE, Ole Miss. 6’4, 254, 4.58

Knox would only fit in the second round if the Cowboys are out of defensive back options and feel like they’re better off addressing defensive tackle depth in the third. I love Knox’s potential as a mismatch. He’s not a good blocker, but they would not draft him to block. They would draft him to stretch out defenses and get up the seams. Knox is an above-average route-runner and has excellent hands. His college production was limited due to the ancient route concepts of the Ole Miss playbook, but I’m willing to take my chances on Knox as a player with the potential to be a difference-maker in the passing game. It’s unlikely he would make it to No. 58; in fact, there’s been buzz about him going late in the first round. But should he be on the board, I think the Cowboys would be tempted to pull the trigger and add another dangerous weapon to the offense.

Deebo Samuel — WR, South Carolina. 5’11, 214, 4.48

One of the few wide receivers Dallas brought in for an official visit, Samuel would be an option if the Cowboys just couldn’t help themselves or if their defensive targets had been wiped out. Drafting Deebo wouldn’t be a bad idea, though, given that Randall Cobb and Allen Hurns each only have one year on their contracts. Getting Samuel into the system and letting him play a little bit could give the team a 2020 wide receiver group of Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup and Deebo Samuel. That would be fun.

Deebo is an excellent route-runner who catches everything and has the ability to play in the slot as well as outside. He has excellent technique and the start/stop ability to really throw defenders for a loop. Samuel is also a phenomenal player after the catch. He reminds me a little bit of Randall Cobb in that they both find a way to get separation in the short and intermediate areas of the field while also having the ability to go down the field even if that isn’t the best use of their ability.

The receiver group in this draft gets pretty chaotic on Day 2, with a ton of eligible options who could go in any given order. I think Samuel’s draft range is anywhere from 40-75. Given that he was a visitor, and that the Cowboys will likely give Amari Cooper a long-term extension, having guys like Gallup and Samuel on the roster at minimum wage would be helpful. At the end of the day, I don’t think Samuel will be wearing silver and blue, but the context clues are enough to keep him in mind as we get closer to the draft.

Top Bottom